General Discussion for The Legend of Zelda

Fuck it; it's gonna happen anyway. Hype train for Breath of the Wild is a'-rollin', regardless of your feelings about the Switch. So, here you go.

First order of business:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/13/zelda-bokoblin-amiibo-announced-breath-of-the-wild-set-gets-release-date

I wonder what they'll do?

The trailer implies that Zelda is still going to be the damsel in distress in some fashion or another, to which I thought, "Yup! Ninfora's definitely gonna tear that one up once they get around to it." I do hope it has less to do with being kidnapped and more with being cursed or something, because at least then, she can still do shit to justify the fact that she's in the same kind of traveler's garb that Link wears. That in mind, I like her design. Nintendo seem to be gradually inching away from the princess (may-as-well-be-queen, in Twilight Princess' case) aesthetic in recent entries (discounting A Link Between Worlds), and that's pretty cool. Frankly, I've wanted a warrior princess rendition for a long time now--even better if she's playable. But, one step at a time, I guess.

Otherwise, that world is vast as fuck. Will it be bigger than Skyrim? Doesn't even matter, because it will sure as hell have more terrain variance.

Currently playing Star Wars: Republic Commando for the first time in years, but once I get done with that, I'mma replay Twilight Princess HD to properly prepare that Wolf Link Amiibo. As I said, hype train's a'-rollin', and I'm on board. Gotta get ready!

Communist Hyrule.png

Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks like it's gonna have a pretty heavy focus on story and what we've seen looks pretty good, but at the same time, they are going for the DiD trope right out of the gate, not sure how I feel about it.

*shrug* Well, it could make it work, I guess. The game itself looks absolutely fantastic.

Edited by Kamui

I mean...the trailer also implies that she did a lot of shit to...some end. It could turn out to be, "Oh, I've just kinda been at this castle for the past ten years containing this gargantuan shadowy asshole when I could be doing other things with my youth, but water under the bridge, y'know?" But it could also turn out to be better than that.

C'mon, Nintendo! You got this! I can tell Aonuma is practically chomping at the bit to fuck around with or supplant every conceivable trope in this franchise because, why the hell not? He seems like the most capable visionary there right now, though you could say that I'm mostly basing that on shit he's said and his general attitude. It wouldn't surprise me if he really did want to make Link female, but got cockblocked on the way by somebody else.

4 minutes ago, JanusDS said:

Ummm...is BotW still being released for Wii U? Cuz if not, I'm going to be really fucking disappointed since I don't plan on buying a Switch at release. Have they said anything regarding the Wii U version today or yesterday?

Yes they mentioned it last night I believe. Same day as Switch version.

3 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

They didn't talk about the Wii U version, but it's still slated to drop. Zelda Informer and Amazon even report that its premium editions will be available on the Wii U, though there appears to be no official confirmation of this.

I'm hoping the Wii U will get the same "premium" treatment as far as BotW bundles as the Switch version gets cuz this is something I actually would be down to drop the money on. Just hadn't seen any new pre-order info thus far but super excited assuming the same stuff drops on Wii U.

6 minutes ago, JanusDS said:

I'm hoping the Wii U will get the same "premium" treatment as far as BotW bundles as the Switch version gets cuz this is something I actually would be down to drop the money on. Just hadn't seen any new pre-order info thus far but super excited assuming the same stuff drops on Wii U.

I have a feeling the Wii U version isn't going to come with any bells and whistles. That's how they're getting people to submit to the Switch. Currently sitting here heavily lamenting the fact that I can't justify getting a Switch just for that ridiculously attractive Zelda bundle as an adult right now.

Just now, Uni said:

I have a feeling the Wii U version isn't going to come with any bells and whistles. That's how they're getting people to submit to the Switch. Currently sitting here heavily lamenting the fact that I can't justify getting a Switch just for that ridiculously attractive Zelda bundle as an adult right now.

Why not buy the premium edition and the buy the console itself later, when the software library is more to your liking?

One can approach the market by buying their products in stages and still come out on top. I did this with the PlayStation 3 and 4.

8 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

Why not buy the premium edition and the buy the console itself later, when the software library is more to your liking?

One can approach the market by buying their products in stages and still come out on top. I did this with the PlayStation 3 and 4.

That's an option. Not a very cost effective one...but it wouldn't be the first time I've bought a game without the console. I just need to play this carefully (no pun intended). 

EDIT: Not that it matters since the bundle's sold out everywhere anyway... :P

Edited by Uni