Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Rather than following up on X's cliffhanger ending, it appears that Monolith are going for an original story. While the presence of a planet-sized giant and a red sword with a glowing crystal in its hilt brings to mind the two titans and the Monado from the first game, the setting seems to be much more fantasy-based, with no sci-fi elements seen yet.

More importantly, the character designs are being handled by Masatsugu Saito, a hentai artist who also did Celica's DLC artwork in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Discuss.

If the title being Xenoblade Chronicles 2 implies that this game's story actually will follow up on what's occurring in the new world created after the fall of Zanza in the first game, and not some side thing that Xenoblade Chronicles X is, then I am highly anticipating this game. Xenoblade Chronicles is my second favorite game of all time, and I wanted to have an adventure within that newly, created world as soon as the game had ended. If this is that follow-up, I will try to get this release day one.

Now if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is not going to be a follow-up, then my decision to get the game may depend on the direction Monolift Soft is going. If it is more story-focused, more focused in general, and has an actual protagonist with supporting cast, like the first XC, then I'll likely get the game on day one. If it is like X, less focused and with an avatar, then I might have to think about this purchase. Based on what they showed tonight though, it does seem like, at least, XC2 will be following the more story-oriented, focused direction of the original. I am hoping though that this is actually XC2 and taking place in that new world generated at the request of Shulk.

Edited by IUniverse

This is the game that changed my mind about buying a Switch. I will buy this game day 1.

I still have mixed feelings about the generic anime art, compared to the first game's beautiful semi-realism, though I do appreciate the return to a more vibrant color palette. I'm glad this seems to actually have the Monado in it, as well, seemingly earning the Xenoblade title. On that note, I suppose it's still unconfirmed whether this follows up on the tale of Shulk and the crew, or if it's an entirely new story. My guess is the latter, given the unfamiliar characters and giant sky dragon. I suppose it could take place on the recreated world of Bionis and Mechonis, given the way Xenoblade 1 ended, but then that doesn't explain the presence of the Monado

I'm so happy they brought back ACE+, Kiyota, and Mitsuda for the soundtrack. Sawano's work on X was very hit-or-miss for me. There were some great tracks, and then there were some head-scratchers. I'm looking at you, New LA night theme.

Other hopes? That this one's as story-driven as the original. I still haven't beaten X because I stopped caring about the characters. We need the protagonist to be an actual character, and not a derpy avatar. Oh, and we need a British cast for the English dub.

Edited by Laclipsey

Oh, okay. So from what I gather Kenji Hiramitsu is part of ACE+. But he's listed separately from them in the trailer. Huh. So the gang's all here with regards to composers, with the exception of Yoko Shimomura, who notably composed Main Theme, Fight!, Unfinished Battle, and a few other story-related songs from Xenoblade.

1 hour ago, Cryptic said:

I hope Protagonist is an actual character and not a derpy avatar.

The impression that I got from the trailer was a character with personality, but I could easily be wrong. Being an avatar doesn't mean that he can't have a personality, although too many developers seem to forget that.

1 hour ago, Youngster Joey said:

The anime/cel-shading aesthetic makes me think of a Tales game, however.

Please don't remind me of the Tales games. I played the Tales of Berseria demo a few days ago and want to forget.

I'm not a huge fan of the character design as I'm not big on anime in general, but it'll probably grow on me. I'm really glad to get a new Xenoblade game, but at the same time I can't fathom why they wouldn't touch on that cliffhanger ending of Xenoblade X. Who knows? Maybe it'll tie XC and XCX together somehow.

IIRC so far Xenoblade and Xenoblade X have had terrible stock issues and skyrocketed in price a ways after the launch. I'm thinking that I might end up ordering this game just so I'll have it on hand for when I ever get the Switch. Have they announced anything about digital game downloads?

Edited by Carl321

Really hoping the cliffhanger in XCX is resolved at some point but otherwise I'm happy that MonolithSoft's showing actually did end up being something new rather than an enhanced port over of XCX.  So they're going back to a more story focused experience with this one so I'm looking forward to seeing what this one will be all about and the scale of the world seems like it will be massive too.

8 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

More importantly, the character designs are being handled by Masatsugu Saito, a hentai artist who also did Celica's DLC artwork in Fire Emblem Awakening.

tongue;

The art-style looks okay, but from certain angles (When the protag was running at the camera) it looked really awkward.

8 hours ago, Kezay said:

Really hoping the cliffhanger in XCX is resolved at some point but otherwise I'm happy that MonolithSoft's showing actually did end up being something new rather than an enhanced port over of XCX.  So they're going back to a more story focused experience with this one so I'm looking forward to seeing what this one will be all about and the scale of the world seems like it will be massive too.

To be fair, we haven't seen anything that seems to indicate it'll be any more story-driven than X. X's second trailer showed off more story than the teaser we got yesterday. Though admittedly the numbered title and return to a fantasy setting involving a red energy sword and planet-sized monstrosities do seem to indicte a return to form of sorts. :P 

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

To be fair, we haven't seen anything that seems to indicate it'll be any more story-driven than X. X's second trailer showed off more story than the teaser we got yesterday. Though admittedly the numbered title and return to a fantasy setting involving a red energy sword and planet-sized monstrosities do seem to indicte a return to form of sorts. :P 

Reveal hidden contents

True, though it's more an assumption based on it being a direct sequel (at least in title) to the first game, at least now that the distinction has been made with a "2" meaning that "X" resides in a different kind of category or whatever.  That and developer comments in the past about the development of "X" and what it eventually turned into based on changes made mid-cycle as well as comments about returning to a more a typical JRPG format like the original Xenoblade Chronicles.

4 hours ago, Kezay said:

True, though it's more an assumption based on it being a direct sequel (at least in title) to the first game, at least now that the distinction has been made with a "2" meaning that "X" resides in a different kind of category or whatever.  That and developer comments in the past about the development of "X" and what it eventually turned into based on changes made mid-cycle as well as comments about returning to a more a typical JRPG format like the original Xenoblade Chronicles.

Yeah, I do remember an interview with Takahashi that came out just after X dropped in which he said his next project would be more story-driven. Of course, I also seem to remember him saying he and his team were hoping to break away from Xenoblade for a while, but I might be imagining that bit. :P

On 1/13/2017 at 3:09 AM, Namevah said:

The impression that I got from the trailer was a character with personality, but I could easily be wrong. Being an avatar doesn't mean that he can't have a personality, although too many developers seem to forget that.

Please don't remind me of the Tales games. I played the Tales of Berseria demo a few days ago and want to forget.

What was wrong with the demo?

I'm definitely hyped for this game. Looks like it'll be pretty neat.

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm definitely hyped for this game. Looks like it'll be pretty neat.

Ah, hell... Okay:

Spoiler

The demo is clearly set long past the introduction. I got into three "skits" (I think they're called), and they kept using vague, made-up words that I'm obviously supposed to understand. One of the words was apparently the species for a creature wearing a top hat and using an obnoxious voice. The damn thing wouldn't shut up.

That creature was in the second skit. The first skit involved the two older male characters saying that woman can't be trusted, this conversation happening less than 30 seconds after the demo's start. What a horrible first impression. The third conversation involved a young kid that apparently existed within one of the female characters, and this being a Japanese game, the conversation quickly got into which of the other female characters will bathe with another who apparently can't be left alone? No context, no explanation.

And the combat... The tutorial made the battle sound like a brainless button-masher with the ability to swap your character with another. If there's any opportunity to perform some strategy combat, the demo sure as hell didn't clue me into that.