Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017

Chrom

6 minutes ago, ___ said:

If you were disappointed, you had expectations.  Disappointment occurs from expecting something.  That's how that works. y;

Well I guess I should say I had some very basic expectations. The hardware looks fine, and the games they showed look cool. It's just really lame that nothing worth buying the system for is out for a few months 

24 minutes ago, Punchy said:

US launch line up

- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna

BOTW is huge though.
Seriously.

The last system to have something like that at launch was Wii with TP, and we know how that turned out.
It definitely got a lot of buyers on the system early on.

5 minutes ago, subrosian said:

So, Switch comes out in like, a month and a half, and THIS is their presentation? Am I alone in feeling that I need way more information? I'm so confused. Maybe they think that March is after E3 so they'll have another chance, and this was all an accident.

I really don't understand the online stuff. Why is it through smartphones? So you can voice chat while playing it away from the dock, using your own data?... Like you couldn't just, I dunno, do a conference call? Are the apps going to be iOS first/only? Just needing to use a "smart device" at all is probably a deal breaker for me as far as paying for online goes. Where was Virtual Console, or like... Anything? Friends? Miiverse? eShop? Internet browser? Are they having another info presentation between now and launch? The "get a NES/SNES game for a month" thing sounds incredibly stupid. Like, a very deliberate step backwards. The whole point of Virtual Console is that it's a virtual console - you buy the game and then you have it, and can play it whenever/forever, like normal. So far, everything is pointing to the Switch having WORSE online functionality than Wii U, which I didn't think was possible.

I was immediately depressed with their first two game announcements. The Switch reveal trailer really gave me hope that they could move past trying to court people with the likes of... Whatever 1-2 Switch is. Wii Play 2. HD Rumble seems incredibly useless. I would be very happy if they sold some alternate Joycons, like maybe without the HD rumble/IR/accelerometer, and with a D-pad, and not $80... Also, do we think any Wii U accessories will be compatible? I'd prefer not to buy another Pro Controller.

The only games I'm interested in are BotW, Mario Does Manhattan, and MK8 because I never got it on Wii U. Mayyyyyyyyyyybe Fire Emblem Warriors. Couldn't care less about pretty much everything else. Glad to see that Square Enix is sticking to their guns and never putting Final Fantasy on Nintendo consoles again. :( 

Very good question about the apps. That's another off putting thing. Not everyone has access to those devices and/or the devices can't handle or have enough space for them. Definitely. I hate that the most I think. I agree on that. Who came up with the idea for the one game for a month part of the service? It's beyond dumb.

Personally, as a consumer, I'm satisfied. As far as battery life, I wasn't planning on carrying it around much anyway. I see mobility as more of a bonus on top of having the features of a regular console. And I probably won't be buying it at launch anyway, so the launch lineup doesn't concern me. What does concern me is the paid online service. It needs to be affordable, and I need to have more than Spla2n to justify the fee. The storage space is also pretty small, but I suppose it's a good excuse to buy physical copies, which I prefer anyway when I'm not too lazy.

1 minute ago, Young P said:

Personally, as a consumer, I'm satisfied. As far as battery life, I wasn't planning on carrying it around much anyway. I see mobility as more of a bonus on top of having the features of a regular console. And I probably won't be buying it at launch anyway, so the launch lineup doesn't concern me. What does concern me is the paid online service. It needs to be affordable, and I need to have more than Spla2n to justify the fee. The storage space is also pretty small, but I suppose it's a good excuse to buy physical copies, which I prefer anyway when I'm not too lazy.

Neither am I. Yep that's a huge sticking point. Exactly. It's why I got a external drive for my Wii U.

5 minutes ago, AGES said:

The problem with this presentation is that Nintendo played it too safe when they know their current situation is not as great. 

How so?

Like, what was safe versus "dangerous"?

The put out the pertinent controller demo which was needed IMO and all the tech inside those things....

To show off what games they did show off they put up decent amount of time for each in this kind of setting.

Probably have more follow up videos to come later on.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How?

3 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

How so?

Like, what was safe versus "dangerous"?

The put out the pertinent controller demo which was needed IMO and all the tech inside those things....

To show off what games they did show off they put up decent amount of time for each in this kind of setting.

Probably have more follow up videos to come later on.

Perhaps so. I just think with brand new console that aims to go after the lost sales/install base that was known as the Wii U they should of hit it hard, simply.

Otherwise, it was pretty average.

Just now, Punchy said:

Bluetooth isn't anywhere near as fast as WiFi, that's for sure. It's pretty slow for data transfer.

For voice chat it should work fine.

Ah. Well I won't be needing it, as I won't be using voice chat.

On a side note, I was just thinking... will they have it set up like Sony where people could still use the online services for free for the PS3 and the Vita, only with the Wii U and the 3ds (and new 3ds)? Just wondering about that.  (bringing this over from the online service thread)