Your favorite animated movie(s)?

alienboyva

Excluding anime, what's your favorite animated movie(s)?

I could fill up an entire list with Disney movies, so, I'll just mention that my favorite will always be 101 Dalmatians (still think The Lion King is the best). Yeah, when I was little I had my whole room decked-out in 101 Dalmatians. I had bedding, wall sticker things, etc. There were also non-Disney animated movies I absolutely loved when I was little like An American Tail, which I got to see again recently.

So, a few days after Xmas, I came across the soundtrack for An American Tail and The Land Before Time on YouTube and I thought to myself how much I'd love to see these again after all these years, especially An American Tail, since it was one of my favorite movies when I was little....And what do you know? A few days later I find out that they're both coming on TV,  It's like someone was reading my mind. When the opening credits for An American Tail came on and that music started playing, OMG, nostalgia and feels out the butt! LOL! I was not prepared for that. I never realized just how much I still love this movie. The animation, voice acting (gotta love Dom DeLuise), and music. It's all so good! I guess this movie will always hold a special place in my heart, especially since it has one of my favorite songs when I was little (had the OST on cassette). R.I.P. James Horner. T_T

Spoiler

Later that same night, The Land Before Time also came one, which I also loved watching when I was little. I never realized how short this movie was a kid. It said the run-time was only 70 mins. I assume that also includes the credits as well. Speaking of the credits, that credits song still gets me. kcry; ...Once again, R.I.P. James Horner.

Spoiler

Man I never realized how many movies I owned on VHS and watched the crap out of as a kid were done by Don Bluth. Excluding the Disney movies he worked on, I had An American Tail, The Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Rock-a-Doodle...I also hand The Secret of NIHM. It's great movie, but I guess I never cared for it as a kid. *sigh* Why don't they make animated moves like this anymore?! :( Ever since Shrek I noticed this stupid trend, where animated movies had to be CG and have dumb-ass jokes so where even the parents would laugh. I really wish they'd stop this shit. Well, at least Japan still knows how to do proper 2D animation and that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Hard to pick a favorite out of the movies from my childhood but the Robin Hood movie w/ the animals was and is still enjoyable along w/ The Great Mouse Detective. The Ducktales movie was also fun to watch as a kid(really hoping the reboot works out). The Land Before Time is also great though there can be some scaryish moments depending on the age of a child(the second one was my favorite), All Dogs Go to Heaven was also fun and I loved An American Tail: Fivel Goes West. At my grandmother's funeral back in 2007, my mom actually sang Somewhere Out There for the service and there is a picture of me and my two brothers hugging each other. Might be able to think of more later but that's all right now.

If we're excluding Japanese animation I enjoy The Hunchback of Note Dame and Beauty and the Beast as complete films the most these days. 

Hunchback mostly because of how daring it was to tackle a subject like corruption in the church, lust, and othet far more mature themes than seen in a children's movie before. If only the gargoyles weren't a thing, it'd easily be my favorite to watch over and over. 

Beauty and the Beast is also a favorite mostly because it's just a good story with well developed characters (as tropey as they are). And I like the songs and artwork. 

If I throw on my animation buff cap, Secret of NIMH was an amazing film and probably Bluth's best work since he decided not to try to compete with Disney and throw in godawful musical bits. Land Before Time is a close second here, but since he was forced to cut 13 minutes and change around how the film ends, it's kind of awkward and the flow is all wrong.

If i can go even further down obscure animation lane, I can't exclude the work of Ralph Bakshi. I personally enjoyed Wizards the most out of his stuff, but his contribution to animation was immense as he practically made rotoscoping its own art form. Watch American Pop to see that on full display. 

And lastly can't forget Rankin and Bass, who in addition to their Christmas stop motion specials (think Rudolph and Santa Claus is Coming to Town)  also had some fine 2D works in the form of The Hobbit and my favorite, Flight of Dragons,  among others. An interesting thing about the 2D films of Rankin and Bass is that they outsourced the animation work to a studio in Japan. The studio would be shuttered, but those involved with it would be bought up again and reopened as the iconic Studio Ghibli. So if you like Ghibli films, go give the 2D Rankin and Bass films a watch to see their earliest work. 

And if I can speak from a nostalgic viewpoint, I regularly go back and watch Lady and the Tramp, Oliver and Company, and Balto for reasons that should be fairly obvious. 

Edited by Mao

OMG @alienboyva... An American Tail, memories. It was one of the few animated movies that made me cry when I was a kid! kcry;

As for favorites:

Aladdin

Beauty and the Beast

The Lion King

Mulan

All Dogs go To Heaven

The Land Before Time (I still have a Littlefoot stuffed animal that I got for Christmas when I was little :))

An American Tail

An American Tail 2: Fievel Goes West

Titan AE (loved it -- reminded me of the Don Bluth films I saw as I was growing up)

Finding Nemo

Toy Story 1-3 (1 and 3 are my favorites though)

Monsters Inc.

Monsters University

Coraline

The Jungle Book

Edited by Doc Brown

aladdin

hoodwinked

tangled

pokemon 2000

whisper of the heart

you said no anime but also yolo

aladdin, hoodwinked, and tangled are part of my Feel Better set, a collection of movies i usually only watch again when i'm feeling sick or down. i've seen all three.....at least a hundred times i think

Basically, anything that Pixar makes. I haven't seen all of it and some are better than others, but Pixar is pretty much a guaranteed good time.

I also like Shrek and Shrek 2.

I'm sure I'd enjoy Frozen if it weren't filled with insert songs that have been played ad nauseum elsewhere.

Zootopia was pretty cool, though.

Edited by Schmengland
2 hours ago, nornir said:

Anime?

wow I literally read the whole first post except the first two words apparently

WALL-E

Zootopia

Beauty and the Beast

I loved others like The Land Before Time and Fox and the Hound but I haven't watched them in years

Oh man, where do I begin? Toy Story was ultimately the gateway for animation for me when I was wee child, if were talking about CG.  So many great memories.

Anyway:

Spoiler

Pixar:

Toy Story 1-3

Monsters Inc

UP

The Incredibles

Inside Out

A Bugs Life

Ratatouille

Disney Animated Canon:

Lilo & Sitch