Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links

Chrom

o5LYtKz.png

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links brings the beloved card game to your smart device! From the game's product page:

Take on global Duelists in real-time and while on the go with "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links"!
- Star-studded lineup includes: Yugi, Kaiba, Joey, Mai and more!
- Voices from the anime heighten the Dueling experience!
- Intuitive controls for beginners! Depth to satisfy "Yu-Gi-Oh!" veterans!
- Signature monsters feature stunning 3D animations!
- Build your ultimate Deck and aim for the top!
Step into a world that crosses dimensions and connects all Duelists. Here, any location transforms into a Duel Field where heated Duels unfold!

The game is free to play and is available now on Android and iOS in North America. As someone who played the game a lot in the closed beta, I can say that it's really enjoyable. I highly recommend trying it out even if you're new, as Duel Links is very beginner friendly.

Is anyone else giving this a go? Hopefully I'm not the only one enjoying this release.

With PvZ: Heroes, and Hearthstone, card games are just about all I play on my phone now, lol. I will definitely check this out though, I'm a huge fan of the Yu-gi-oh!, after all.

Out of curiosity how do packs work? Can we actually choose a set, and maybe build something resembling a usable deck in our life times? Or are we literally given 5 random cards from every fucking set ever, including banned cards that are completely unusable, even against A.I. opponents. :| I played Duel Generations for months, and despite some great music, I had obtained barely a fraction of any given archetype by the time I gave up and uninstalled it.

I'll be playing this, of course. I played through the closed beta and enjoyed it well enough as far as simple casual play goes. However, I do feel the game sacrifices depth in order to appeal to beginners and those returning to the series; experienced players like me just find it so slow and tedious more than anything. Vanilla beatdown can only entertain for so long, so I'm desperately hoping they at least introduce more of the game's mechanics as time goes on. (Or give me cards that aren't gimmicky jank.)

until then i'll be playing in the upcoming jerry beans man meta HECK YEAH my favorite normal monster is gonna kick butt for once

1 hour ago, Marxforever said:

With PvZ: Heroes, and Hearthstone, card games are just about all I play on my phone now, lol. I will definitely check this out though, I'm a huge fan of the Yu-gi-oh!, after all.

Out of curiosity how do packs work? Can we actually choose a set, and maybe build something resembling a usable deck in our life times? Or are we literally given 5 random cards from every fucking set ever, including banned cards that are completely unusable, even against A.I. opponents. :| I played Duel Generations for months, and despite some great music, I had obtained barely a fraction of any given archetype by the time I gave up and uninstalled it.

There are sets that have a pool of predesignated cards that you can hope to pull from them, much like how buying packs works in real life. In the closed beta there was only one set out, and you could see the highest rarity cards of the set that you could potentially pull before buying a pack of a certain set.

There's also an unlockable card trader that you can trade some forms of items to in order to get a specific card they're offering.

3 hours ago, XLW said:

So, are the cards from only the first generation? 

There are cards from all times in YGO technically, in the sense that I've seen a card or two released from the past year in the game. That said, the game doesn't support the more modern mechanics of YGO or have any cards centered around them at this point (Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum cards), and the game is much more simplified down (only 3 Monster/Spell/Trap zones instead of 5, no second Main Phase, 4000 Life Points instead of 8000, 20 card minimum for decks instead of 40, etc.). I imagine they were scared of frightening off new or returning players with how complex the card game has become as of late.

It's mostly the same mechanics really, they function the same as they always have; there's just lower quantities for them than usual. I'd argue the only real big change that makes it operate differently in a mechanic sense is the lack of Main Phase 2, because you can't do anything but end your turn after the Battle Phase.

Otherwise it's the same game with less space to push for faster duels.

Edited by Fire

The AI has proven to be fucking retarded so far. Like, if you clearly have a stronger monster than your opponent can handle, instead of setting their weaker monster to protect them from losing life points, they just fucking summon it in attack position. AND THIS IS ON THE HARDEST DIFFICULTY! I mean, fuck, yeah these AI opponents are only level one, but you can't have them ignore common sense like that. Hell, the most basic opponents in earlier games had the decency to set monsters when they knew they ran out of options. 

And that's just one of my problems with this game. 

Jesus this game is embarrassing. 

Edited by Sir Grim Locksmith VIII
49 minutes ago, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

The AI has proven to be fucking retarded so far. Like, if you clearly have a stronger monster than your opponent can handle, instead of setting their weaker monster to protect them from losing life points, they just fucking summon it in attack position. AND THIS IS ON THE HARDEST DIFFICULTY! I mean, fuck, yeah these AI opponents are only level one, but you can't have them ignore common sense like that. Hell, the most basic opponents in earlier games had the decency to set monsters when they knew they ran out of options. 

And that's just one of my problems with this games. 

Jesus this game is embarrassing. 

I had an opponent who used Crimson Ninja's effect to destroy their own trap. theydonothing;

19 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

Just started playing tonight - Shadow118 if anyone wants to add

Not too bad aside from the idiotic A.I.

Might stick to this since Dueling Network is shutdown (unless theres any other options, anyway)

I sent you a friend request just now. You can find my name as PrinceofIris.

I'm at Stage 12 and the opponents do level up and play smarter as you go, so if you keep playing it's not so bad.

Been waiting for its release, so I'll check it out and see how long I stick with it.

19 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

Might stick to this since Dueling Network is shutdown (unless theres any other options, anyway)

There are two alternatives in Devpro and YGOPro, Automatic Duel Systems. Both are free, but obviously not officially licensed Konami products/programs.

To note, i might wait awhile before doing any PvP stuff - will most likely wait until i have more cards on hand

And just occurring to me, but i remember there being 5 monster and spell/trap zones... This is slightly weird, to be honest

1 hour ago, Chrom said:

I sent you a friend request just now. You can find my name as PrinceofIris.

I'm at Stage 12 and the opponents do level up and play smarter as you go, so if you keep playing it's not so bad.

Accepted

Ah, good - it's kind of bland so far with opponents so far doing pretty the same strategy over and over

1 hour ago, Isotope said:

Been waiting for its release, so I'll check it out and see how long I stick with it.

There are two alternatives in Devpro and YGOPro, Automatic Duel Systems. Both are free, but obviously not officially licensed Konami products/programs.

Oh?

What would be recommended of the two? Might be something i'd consider looking at

21 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

Oh?

What would be recommended of the two? Might be something i'd consider looking at

YGOPro updates with the newest cards revealed ASAP (within 24 or so after their reveal); the link to download it isn't just on the YGO website, as it was hit with a takedown notice (Do note though that it's still available mind you, just not on the main site)

DevPro updates every Sunday; the download link for it is on the website

It largely comes down to preference. I use both, but lean more towards YGO; it's largely up to you.

19 minutes ago, Isotope said:

YGOPro updates with the newest cards revealed ASAP (within 24 or so after their reveal); the link to download it isn't just on the YGO website, as it was hit with a takedown notice (Do note though that it's still available mind you, just not on the main site)

DevPro updates every Sunday; the download link for it is on the website

It largely comes down to preference. I use both, but lean more towards YGO; it's largely up to you.

Hm, well i might look at YGOPro at some point then