Striker's Stadium - N4A Chat Thread - June 2022

EH_STEVE

10 hours ago, Edie Napier said:

paper mario is still a good game
a lot shorter than i remember it
onwards to TTYD so i can make my OBJECTIVE rankings tier list of all the paper mario games

TOK>TTYD>PM=SPM>CS>>>>>>>pulling teeth>>>>>>SS

Paper Mario and TTYD are still some of my favourite games ever. I go back and replay them every few years.

Origami King was good, but I don’t feel it quite has the replayability of the first two.

Well, i fixed up that Nether Portal...

And got an extremely shitty nether spawn

Pretty much lost what i had after being knocked into lava - only major losses was a almost broken Diamond pickaxe and my Enchanted Bow with Infinity i fished up... at least i didn't have Diamond armor equipped

Need more Diamonds in general - not sure how strip mining works with the updated caves... not sure if it's the same or different

Why of all things did i have to get a Soulsand biome with a bunch of Skeleton spawns? Would've preferred one of the forest biomes

One of them must've had an enchanted bow with Punch or something with knockback

Should've put those two in a chest

Well, guess you win some, lose some i suppose

Edit:

Wait.

I also had Obsisdian on me

Well, that's going to be annoying to get again

Edited by Shadow118
On 6/18/2022 at 4:52 AM, Kodiack said:

Paper Mario and TTYD are still some of my favourite games ever. I go back and replay them every few years.

Origami King was good, but I don’t feel it quite has the replayability of the first two.

I think my big problem with TTYD is that on repeat playthroughs the linearity and scale of the game become really noticeable.  Still a marvelous little game, but the game is reliant on setpieces to hide the fact that the levels are small-ish corridors with a ton of backtracking.

TOK manages to be better than both PM's scale and TTYD's clever writing and setpieces, it's really only the combat system holding it back but "holding it back" is a pretty hyperbolic term because the combat's still a lot of fun. y;

I think Chuggaaconroy said it best: Modern Paper Mario is great at everything except being an RPG, but is still forced to try to be an RPG anyway. Sticker Star wants to be a progression-based Metroidvania, and Origami King wants to be a puzzle game, but because they’re Paper Mario games, they’re required to have RPG mechanics, even though said mechanics don’t mesh well with the rest of the game.

The reason why Super is still compared favorably to the first two games is that the forced RPG mechanics don’t clash too hard with what the rest of the game wants to be: a straightforward platformer.

I feel like origami king's "rpg" mechanics work pretty well, they're just really weird and unique lol. Instead of rewarding exp the battles reward coins which get you better gear and more stuff.

And then it's not like the mechanics are dumbed down, the battles and bosses are the most complicated and difficult in the whole series. Taking a big hit in Paper Mario 1 is taking like 7 damage, taking a big hit in Origami King is taking more damage than you even have max HP because you screwed the mechanic up.

Super I actually thought the RPG mechanics were completely vestigial and the gameplay was dumbed down to the point of being pretty boring. The only reason I'd give to play that one is the story.

11 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

I think Chuggaaconroy said it best: Modern Paper Mario is great at everything except being an RPG, but is still forced to try to be an RPG anyway. Sticker Star wants to be a progression-based Metroidvania, and Origami King wants to be a puzzle game, but because they’re Paper Mario games, they’re required to have RPG mechanics, even though said mechanics don’t mesh well with the rest of the game.

The reason why Super is still compared favorably to the first two games is that the forced RPG mechanics don’t clash too hard with what the rest of the game wants to be: a straightforward platformer.

At least I played the first two because they were an RPG, and they’re easy to understand. I have a weird disdain or whatever to Super Paper Mario because it’s not an RPG, and it betrays the roots of what Paper Mario was.

Although Sticker Star was maybe the worst out of the modern mechanics, Super Paper Mario is just another Mario platformer to me. It has maybe the best story out of the platformers… but my problem that is Paper Mario in deception.  

2 hours ago, bel said:

I feel like origami king's "rpg" mechanics work pretty well, they're just really weird and unique lol. Instead of rewarding exp the battles reward coins which get you better gear and more stuff.

And then it's not like the mechanics are dumbed down, the battles and bosses are the most complicated and difficult in the whole series. Taking a big hit in Paper Mario 1 is taking like 7 damage, taking a big hit in Origami King is taking more damage than you even have max HP because you screwed the mechanic up.

Super I actually thought the RPG mechanics were completely vestigial and the gameplay was dumbed down to the point of being pretty boring. The only reason I'd give to play that one is the story.

Super Paper Mario is an enigma of baffling design because it's a platformer that weirdly feels kinda bad to play as a fucking 2D Mario game. y;

10 hours ago, Edie Napier said:

Super Paper Mario is an enigma of baffling design because it's a platformer that weirdly feels kinda bad to play as a fucking 2D Mario game. y;

yeah like the good thing about the control of 2D mario is the momentum and how adjustable your jumps are and SPM doesn't have either, it just feels kinda anemic judged as a platformer

For some reason Minecraft launcher doesn’t recognize Minecraft as being bought… which is way after I migrated to a Microsoft account 

Which is annoying because i know i bought Java and have Bedrock

Am i going to have to buy it again?

At least it’s available as a bundle so I’m getting both Bedrock and Java as a bundle at least…

Looks like it’s $30 so i guess it’s not extremely pricey so there’s that at least 

…..

Eh

I’ll deal with it tomorrow at some point 

Spoiler

Finally got done watching the Wholesome Direct

Lots of interesting games

Not sure on all of them, but ones of interest

Spoiler

Little Bear Chef
Lumbearjack
The Garden Path
Mika and the Witch's Mountain