Video Games Finished in 2017

Gold

2/9: Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile) 

I guess if we're including FE Heroes that is technically the first game I beat this year. Working on Odin Sphere and hoping to have that beat soonish. But I'll get things rolling with Fire Emblem Heroes, don't know the exact day I beat it but I think it was Thursday last week so figure that is close enough. 

Overall I enjoyed/ am enjoying Heroes for what it is. While I certainly have some criticisms, most of them can be linked to the fact that it is a gacha game. Despite considering myself a pretty big gamer mobile gaming is something I've hardly messed around with. Heroes has proven fun enough that I can see myself continuing to play it regularly, especially if they do continue to add story missions and stuff. So at the very least, it's nice to have a phone mobile game that I enjoy enough to mess around with, but really I do mostly enjoy the gameplay and such as well. The Gacha mechanics definitely feel constrictive at times, but that's the nature of the beast. I also feel like I should give special mention to the fact that this is the first time I've ever included a mobile game on this list. 

Igneous42 2017 Games Beaten

Handheld – 0
PC – 0
Mobile – 1
Overall – 1

Edited by Igneous42

01.04: Titan Quest Anniversary Edition (PC)

01.06: 100% Orange Juice (PC)

01.11: Trick and Treat - Visual Novel (PC)

01.11: Break Into Zatwor (PC)

01.12: Galaxy Control: 3D Strategy (PC)

01.12: Pokémon Sun (3DS)

01.13: Helmet Heroes (PC)

01.13: Fiends of Imprisonment (PC)

01.15: Endless Space (PC)

01.18: Absconding Zatwor (PC)

01.18: Summer Fling (PC)

01.23: Sakura Swim Club (PC)

01.27: Betrayer (PC)

02.08: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)

02.10: Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)

02.12: Elisa: The Innkeeper - Prequel (PC)

02.13: Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

02.13: Magic Duels (PC)

Handheld – 2
PC – 14
Mobile – 2
Overall – 18

Bronze:

3) What Year Is It? - Beat a game that involves time travel

6) Ghost Q - Beat a video game that has a Q somewhere in the title

Silver:

6) Perfectionist - 100% a game (ex: all achievements/trophies obtained, all stars in a Mario game, ect)

Gold:

3) For The Glory Of Lucifer - Beat a Shin Megami Tensei game (Persona titles count)

14%20tqae_zpspexorzyt.png

16%20100oj_zpss3cdyq2k.png

111%20tatvn_zpsv8p7ldrf.png

111%20biz_zpsfdgdv2zm.png

112%20gc3s_zpswpsdp1ni.png

112%20ps_zpsvapsuhjx.jpeg

113%20hh_zpsnyhwlmxv.png

113%20foi_zpsqgprwhp4.png

115%20es_zpsugoaz1zf.png

118%20az_zpsyuv5rx9i.png

118%20sf_zpso48jfpwm.png

123%20ssc_zps8jcxrc1b.png

127%20b_zpsvvfmzvec.png

208%20smt4_zps5uewqcih.jpg

210%20feh_zps3jpppdkf.jpg

212%20etip_zpssr6jhgaz.png

213%20pad_zpseg87uosy.png

213%20md_zpsdhjrcxph.png

What comments do I have? Let's see...

-Titan Quest Anniversary Edition, while I beat it last year, I only got around to the 100% this year.

-Working on the complete dex in Pokémon Sun, should be done soon.

-Went back and got the other 3 endings in Shin Megami Tensei IV so I could get all my bonuses in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse.

-Fire Emblem Heroes was fun, can't wait for more.

-Elisa: The Innkeeper - Prequel I had already beaten, but they added achievements so I went through it again.

-Puzzle & Dragons I had already beaten all normal stages, but I managed to finally beat all the normal stages in challenge mode while farming for stones for the heroine rem, so two birds one stone there.

Edited by Gold

- Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS)

Excellent RPG; I never played the PS2 version so this was totally fresh to me. Also I'll say for as long as it is I never really felt like the game was dragging. [image]

- Ninja Senki DX (PSN - PS4)
Decent action/platformer but I'll never understand why developers emulate the worst parts of 80s game design, like knockback when hit. That's never been a fun challenge. [image]

- Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (3DS)
Pretty much exactly the same as the Wii U game. I don't think the additions necessarily make the game that much better, but in the same respect the removed features don't really hurt the game either. [image]

- Not a Hero (PSN - PS4)
Simple mechanics but the game still has plenty of challenge. Plus it has a very silly, fun sense of humor. If only the text scrolled more quickly though. [image]

- TorqueL (PSN - PS4)
Neat concept but I find the game far too frustrating to play. I finished one path and that's more than enough for me. [image]

Dragon Quest VIII covers challenge S10, TorqueL covers B6, and I should have one each for S3 now: Disney Magical World - E, Ninja Senki DX - E+10, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - T, South Park: Stick of Truth - M

C: 10

H: 5

P: 0

M: 0

O: 15

Challenges: 11 points

2/20: Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir 

Finally got a game on the records for 2017. I did count Fire Emblem Heroes too I guess but Odin Sphere was the first real game I beat. I don't say that to disparage Fire Emblem, however, just that Odin Sphere is a more traditional game. I loved it, I'm almost mad at myself for putting it off so long. I bought the collectors edition and had the game since the week it came out but didn't start till either late January. Technically I started it shortly after it came out then benched it till now. On the other hand, the good part about waiting this long was there was nothing else competing for its attention.

I loved Dragon's Crown so I suppose it is no surprise that I liked Odin Sphere so much. My only major complaint would really be just that it is very repetitive. While each character's story and unique gameplay elements do add a lot to making each story feel fresh, the fact that it's mostly recycled bosses and zones over and over did prove a bit taxing. The fact that you gain exp from eating was interesting but also made for sometimes long periods of either making the character devour absurd amounts of full course meals in one sitting or standing around eating illogical amounts of fruit. The fact that growing seeds and unlocking skills required phozons was kind of frustrating too, but I think that was on purpose so you had to make choices about how you used them. 

The story could also be cheesy at points, but once I accepted that it was kind of cheesy it was still very enjoyable. I liked all the main characters a lot. Even the ones I didn't think I would enjoy quickly won me over. Mercedes, in particular, comes off very annoying when you encounter her in other characters stories but is very likable once you saw her viewpoint of things. The gameplay was fast, fun and could be very rewarding if you built up abilities right. The freedom to map most of the special how you wish gave it a good degree of customization. I'd say it is one of those games that I could say comfortably places in my top twenty of all time; I really liked it that much. 

Igneous42 2017 Games Beaten
2/20: Odin Sphere Leifthrasir 

Handheld – 0
PC – 0
Mobile – 1
Overall – 2

Edited by Igneous42

Actually got a decent amount of gaming done in the past 2 weeks.

Saturday Night Slam Masters is a pretty decent wrestling game, especially since it only uses one button for attacks.  The single player mode seems like it just keeps going after you beat every character so I'm just gonna mark it as beaten.

Revelator is one of the best fighting games you can play right now.  I just wish I was better at it.

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is an alright fighter on the PS2.  Really great if you want a game with a bunch of SNK fanservice.

F-Zero is a classic on the SNES and it still looks good to this day.  I just wish it was 2 player.

NSMB for the DS beaten.  Currently playing FFXV and Yoshi's Wooly World. 

1. Pokemon Moon (3DS) 1/3/2017

2. Persona 4 Golden (PSTV) 1/16/2017

3. Kirby's Planet Robobot (3DS) 1/23/2017

4. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) 2/4/2017

5. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile) 2/5/2017

6. NSMB (DS) 2/23/2017

C: 0

H: 5

PC: 0

M: 1

O: 6

- Little Big Planet 3 (PS4)
Pretty much the same as the other LBP games, as far as I remember them. The new heroes are a little underused though, plus apparently the game is still very glitchy 'cause I had to restart when something didn't trigger properly in the first chapter. [image]

- Anna - Extended Edition (PSN - PS3)
A horror game with some good creepy moments that doesn't rely upon actual monsters or fight scenes, just eerie psychological stuff. I wish the frame rate wasn't quite so janky though, makes it hard to play at times. [image]

- Cartoon Network Battle Crashers (3DS)
Hoo boy, what a terrible game. It's clear that basically minimal effort went into every aspect of this game. [image]

- Harvest Moon: Skytree Village (3DS)
This feels like a much more polished version of the previous game, The Lost Valley, so that's an improvement. Otherwise though it feels like a fairly bland Harvest Moon game. [image]

- Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel (PS3)
More Borderlands craziness and action, just like the other games. I don't feel like the additions changed up the game very much, aside from cryo weapons which were super powerful, but even the base formula of Borderlands is plenty enjoyable. [image]

Cartoon Network Battle Crashers covers B5 (not just below 50 but well below; nobody liked this game)

C: 13

H: 7

P: 0

M: 0

O: 20

Challenges: 12 points