Video Games Finished in 2017

Gold

Beat: Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64) [February 3]

At last. I'm one of the weird few who never played this game growing up, despite it being so beloved with those around my age. And certainly, I can see why it's loved so much: the writing is charming, the different worlds and environments are engaging, and there's plenty to collect. I really enjoyed what was enjoyable about the game. Unfortunately, there's some aged aspects of the game that I heavily disliked as well. Losing all of your Notes when you die felt really punishing as I progressed more and more throughout the game, and wrestling with the flying controls when aiming for aerial attacks was somewhat frustrating when you were basically locked in to your trajectory for a good 3-4 seconds after divebombing (as far as I could tell). But overall I was really pleased with the game otherwise.

Handheld – 0
PC – 0
Mobile – 0
Overall – 2

Completed Games:

Spoiler

January 21 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

February 3 - Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)

Completed Challenges:

Spoiler

Perfectionist - 100% a game (ex: all achievements/trophies obtained, all stars in a Mario game, ect) [Silver]

Edited by Fire

Fire Emblem Awakening is finally beaten after 31 hours of gameplay being logged.  Working on Zelda Skyward Sword and Final Fantasy XV as of right now.  Thinking about starting up Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS next.  Looks like this year will be loaded up with RPGs and trying to work on the backlog.  

1. Pokemon Moon (3DS) 1/3/2017

2. Persona 4 Golden (PSTV) 1/16/2017

3. Kirby's Planet Robobot (3DS) 1/23/2017

4. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) 2/4/2017

C: 0

H: 4

PC: 0

M: 0

O: 4

- Toby: The Secret Mine (Wii U eShop)
Decent puzzle platformer. Too short, but at least the gameplay is well varied. [image]

- The Last Guardian (PS4)
For a game that was in development for so long, I can't believe the controls/camera are so poorly done. The broad concept of the game is fun but man the little things really bring down the experience. I wouldn't really call it a worthy sequel to Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, but overall I did enjoy it. [image]

- Battles of Prince of Persia (DS)
Weird mix of card deck building and grid-based strategy. The resulting mix actually wouldn't be that bad except that the game makes it way too complicated and slow. [image]

- Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (3DS)
For the most part it's exactly the same as the first game, but they've also added another playable character which is pretty fun. I more or less rate it as the same as the first game though: good, but not necessarily great. [image]

- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Wii U)
Another excellent platformer but all too brief, though I could say as much for all the Shantae games. [image]

I 100% completed Half-Genie Hero so that covers challenge S6, and I'm also retroactively completing B3 with Day of the Tentacle Remastered.

C: 7

H: 3

P: 0

M: 0

O: 10

Challenges: 4 points

Just going to keep track of what I've beaten and when this year.

If we're counting beating Fire Emblem Heroes as completing Chapter 9: Part 5, then I've beaten the game as of yesterday.

Chrom's Games Finished 2017
Fire Emblem Heroes (February 7)

On 2/6/2017 at 10:10 PM, fuzz said:

January:

1/27: Pokemon Sun [3DS]

February:

2/6: LISA: The Painful RPG [PC]

I bought LISA a while back, but I only played for like 30 minutes. Was it well worth it?

I also played through Undertale again, this time killing all the bosses by sparing all the common enemies. Cute ending.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:54 PM, purple_beard said:

2/10/17  Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World

*100% all wonder wools not tied to Special or Star Wolrds.

2/10/17  Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World

*100% all wonder wools not tied to Special or Star Wolrds.

Great game.  I loved the WiiU version.  It wasn't too hard a decision to double dip.  The 3D effect helps with the lower res visuals from the original.  The Poochy Amiibo is amazingly cute and actually useful even though I didn't use him for Poochy Pups.  IMO, the heart of the game lies in the custom Yoshi creator (passable designs via street pass), unlockable patterns for crafting  Yoshis, and the Amiibo costumes.  The coolness of the collectibles makes for going for 100%ing the game a inviting task.

Edited by purple_beard
On 2/9/2017 at 11:50 AM, Toad160 said:

I bought LISA a while back, but I only played for like 30 minutes. Was it well worth it?

I also played through Undertale again, this time killing all the bosses by sparing all the common enemies. Cute ending.

Definitely. It just grows on you more and more, the humor is fantastic and the story really was well done. It took me about 11ish hours? Overall I really did enjoy my time with it even though it took a bit to get into.

edit: I should say that this game is fucking depressing. "The miserable journey of a broken man" is very apt as it is described on the steam store.

Edited by fuzz
On 2/3/2017 at 9:16 PM, K said:

So are we gonna count beating the last current chapter of FE Heroes as being beaten? @Gold

On 2/3/2017 at 9:49 PM, Gold said:

Sure why not

Actually, going off this, I'm going to say that all mobile games of this nature (gatcha, slight story, ect) such as, Fire Emblem: Heroes, Puzzle & Dragons, Star Wars: Heroes, ect, can all be considered complete after beating all stages. For example, up to stage 9-5 in FE, all normals in P&D, all light, dark, cantina, and mod battles in SW, ect.

These requirements can change if more story missions or stages are added.

Edited by Gold