Video Games Finished in 2017

Gold

Finished a quick run of Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS this weekend. Nothing special about it beyond the fact that it was really quick. It's always fun to replay.

Chrom's Games Finished 2017
Fire Emblem Heroes (February 7)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (April 23)
Fire Emblem Awakening (July 15)

I am aware of the fact that the only games I've finished so far this year have been Fire Emblem games, and that amuses me because not only is it unintentional, but I still have others I want to finish too, such as Fire Emblem Echoes which I still haven't yet. I actually have been playing other games but they're all pretty long and I tend to dedicate most of the gaming time I have to Fire Emblem Heroes which I've been hooked on since the day it came out.

Virtues Last Reward (PS4) - This is the second volume of the Zero Escape series. Not much was changed here compared for 999, this is pretty much the Vita version but uprez to look even better. A part of me is disappointed they didn't add anything to it but thinking about it not much they could really add since all the stuff 999 was missing was in this version from the start. (Voice acting, flowchart etc) Well either way this is still a game worth playing even if one of the endings is no longer consider canon now.

Valkyria Revolution (PS4) - A part of me was so happy to hear the series was coming back. Valkyria Chronicles was one of my favorite games of last gen but the more I heard about this game the more I felt WTF were they doing to the series. After all that thinking I decided I'll just keep those thoughts to myself and just play the game for myself and judge after. Right now I'm in a weird place. There is some parts I like about the game (story, characters and setting) and some other things that just make me boggle my mind (gameplay particularly the whole setting up your character) If they do continue from this I hope they learn from their mistakes and make a whole lot better game.

Handheld – 4
PC – 0
Mobile – 1
Overall – 18

18 hours ago, Gold said:

Which ending is the non canon one?

The one where you get all the Archive files on Hard mode. Which is the another epilogue for the game. Its called Another Time END.

Its where someone unknown to us awoken in Kyle's body and pretty much says a lot of things he isn't supposed to know then its implied that its the new main character who is at the Mars mission test site which occurs in Zero Time Dilemma

59 minutes ago, DivineTrinity said:

The one where you get all the Archive files on Hard mode. Which is the another epilogue for the game. Its called Another Time END.

Hide contents

Its where someone unknown to us awoken in Kyle's body and pretty much says a lot of things he isn't supposed to know then its implied that its the new main character who is at the Mars mission test site which occurs in Zero Time Dilemma

Oh I remember that. Why isn't it canon now?

update

C- 29
H- 5
PC- 0
M- 1
O- 35

Jan 11- Sonic CD (PS3)
Jan 13- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PS3)
Jan 28- Katamari Forever (PS3)
Jan 28- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PS4)
Feb 6- Pokemon Moon (3DS)
Feb 8- Catherine (PS3)
Feb 12- Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)
Feb 15- Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)
Feb 20- Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (PS4)
Feb 22- Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii)
Feb 25- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (PS3)
Mar 5- Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (PS4)
Mar 9- Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
Mar 12- Sonic & Knuckles (PS3)
Mar 13- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (PS3)
Mar 31- Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
Apr 1- Super Mario Run (Android)
Apr 2- Snipperclips (Switch)
Apr 6- Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS)
Apr 7- Stardew Valley (PS4)
Apr 17- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
Apr 24- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
Apr 26- Pokemon Gold (GB [EMULATOR])
May 1- Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4)
May 2- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
May 8- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
May 12- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast)
Jun 2- Dark Souls III (PS4)
Jun 7- Dead Rising (PS4)
Jun 9- Pokemon Prism (GBC [ROM HACK])
Jun 20- Tekken 7 (PS4)
Jun 26- Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I (PS3)
Jun 29- Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II (PS3)
Jun 30- Fire Emblem Echoes Shadow of Valentia (3DS)
July 5- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (PS3)

On 1/6/2017 at 2:02 PM, K said:

Beat Amaranthine today. 

Also just noticed that the update must have broke some of my links so I'll fix that tomorrow probably. 

Edited by K
On 1/6/2017 at 2:02 PM, K said:

Also just beat A Normal Lost Phone. This one I really liked, the way the story unfolded as you unlocked more of the phone was really well done; really suggest everyone play it. 

And counting this one towards the 100% challenge

Edited by K

Beat two more games in the past few days.

Picked up a copy of Mega Man X4 about a week ago and what started as me just checking to see if the game worked ended up with me beating the whole thing in one sitting.  Game is still super good and one of the better X games.

Also beat Splatoon 2 story mode over the weekend.  It's more of the same from the first game, but the first game was already pretty good.  Still playing the multiplayer quite a bit.

- Runbow Pocket: Deluxe Edition (N3DS)
So it's pretty much the same game except for minor differences, but all of the differences are for the worse. It's still a fun game but portability seems like a weak trade off. [image]

- Splatoon 2 (Switch)

Largely the same as the first game but I don't mind. New weapons, maps, and most of all Salmon Run justify the long hours I plan on spending with this game. [image]

- Snake Pass (Switch)
Neat premise but flawed execution. In the end moving around as a snake was just more frustrating than fun. [image]

- Game of Thrones (PS4)
This is the TellTale game. Not surprisingly for TellTale your choices have very little impact (to the point where some things don't even make sense when the game railroads you into specific plotlines) and not surprisingly for Game of Thrones it is bleak. I think it would have been a lot more interesting to set the game in an alternate universe of GoT so that your choices can actually impact the larger story instead of just giving you a random family that basically follow the same story as the Starks. And what an unsatisfying ending; it's just a set-up for the second season. [image]

- Pyre (PSN - PS4)
Loved it, though after Bastion and Transistor I've been a huge fan of Supergiant Games and probably would've been forgiving of any type of game they released. But really, Pyre is a beautiful game, just like their other two, and even sneakily made me a fan of what is essentially a sports game (albeit with a distinctly fantasy/RPG lean). Honestly the game is worth playing for the artwork and soundtrack alone; the fact that the gameplay is awfully fun as well is just a plus. [image]

Challenges completed:
Bronze 7) Who’s A Good Boy? - Beat a game where you can play as a dog - Pyre (technically one of the characters is a dog!)
Platinum 3) No Life - Beat 70 games - Kind of a hollow accomplishment but I'll take it.

C: 55

H: 15

P: 0

M: 0

O: 70

Challenges: 35 points

On 7/9/2017 at 10:26 PM, XLW said:

3/16- Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS.

Great, even if combat feels weird. 

3/16- The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild for the Switch.

By no means flawless, but it deserves the 9s and 10s it does get. Easily one of the best games of this year. Only I know where it will be on my best games of all time 2017 edition.  

3/16- Fire Emblem Awapotheosis for 3DS. 

I know what I said. After at least four years of struggling to get it right, I finally did it. I'm taking a break from that game because I FINALLY conquered that monster of a mission. And I defeated the regular game too. I had to make a new game to get the right combos, and it FINALLY paid off.  

3/17- Superhot for PC. Forgot about this. It's so meta of what it wants to be.

3/28-  WWE 2K17. Finished the Hall of Fame showcase, if you were thinking it didn't have a conventional story mode.

4/30- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Mostly for 200 cc.   

5/13- Project X Zone 2. 

The story drags on, the gameplay gets boring after a while, and I don't care for much of the characters, except for those I do like.  

5/22- Fire Emblem Echoes 

It's flawed, but not entirely bad.  

6/11- Pilotwings Resort. 

I beat all the missions with one medal, no way am I going to take my time getting the diamond cup, and I got evening and night. It's mediocre, but there's a lot of fun to be had here. 

6/19- Final Fantasy (GBA remake on Dawn of Souls) 

I final... the game. It's really high on my favorite games I have completed, now that I...

7/9- Crash Bandicoot for the PS4 N. Sanity Remake

Everything is fine... except for the hit point detection and depth at times. 

8/2- Final Fantasy Tactics. 

Besides cheap enemy fairness and some really out of place localization flaws... and the story being a little bit confusing to follow at times, the job system, visuals and music are incredible. Grinding sucks admittedly, when enemies get stronger as your party does. But, the extra characters make this game a lot better. Some battles were annoying or very easy. Don''t know where this would fall in my best games I've beaten, but it was a rollercoaster of emotions. 

8/2- Kirby's Dream Land for the Dream Land Collection 

There was a delay in my controls sometimes, but it kept me interested for an hour. I finally played this after II. Strange, isn't it? 

8/16- Punchout! For the Wii! 

Ow, my hands...

Handheld – 5
PC – 1
Mobile – 1
Overall – 14

Edited by XLW

Two more games beaten in the last few days.

Blazing Star is a neato shooter for Switch.  It seems like a game I'll be picking up and randomly playing ever now and then.

Also beat the first Crash game on the remaster pack.  Got everything except for the relics since they don't count toward 100% (they just add 2% at the end, putting you at 102%.  This wasn't a thing in the orignial IIRC).

- Slime-san (Switch)
Hardcore platformer with pixel art and chiptune soundtrack. It may seem like a genre that's been done but there's a lot to enjoy in Slime-san if you like these types of platformers. [image]

- Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry (PSN - PS4)
The good thing about this being DLC for AC4 is I don't have to sit through a long tutorial about how to play a game that hasn't had significant changes in years. Otherwise the game is okay–not a super interesting side story but sailing/piracy is still fun. [image]

- Hey! Pikmin (3DS)
A charming spin-off but don't expect it to have the same energy or depth as the main series. [image]

- Phantom Trigger (Switch)

Stylish but ultimately the gameplay is kind of shallow. Combos in particular should have been a lot more useful than they actually are. [image]

- Super Motherload (PSN - PS4)
Very similar to Steamworld Dig but doesn't have the same charm. And somehow mining seems way more boring in this game compared to SD. I also really did not like how the final boss introduces this combat element that isn't anywhere else in the game. [image]

C: 59

H: 16

P: 0

M: 0

O: 75

Challenges: 35 points

On 8/2/2017 at 2:00 PM, XLW said:

3/16- Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS.

Great, even if combat feels weird. 

3/16- The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild for the Switch.

By no means flawless, but it deserves the 9s and 10s it does get. Easily one of the best games of this year. Only I know where it will be on my best games of all time 2017 edition.  

3/16- Fire Emblem Awapotheosis for 3DS. 

I know what I said. After at least four years of struggling to get it right, I finally did it. I'm taking a break from that game because I FINALLY conquered that monster of a mission. And I defeated the regular game too. I had to make a new game to get the right combos, and it FINALLY paid off.  

3/17- Superhot for PC. Forgot about this. It's so meta of what it wants to be.

3/28-  WWE 2K17. Finished the Hall of Fame showcase, if you were thinking it didn't have a conventional story mode.

4/30- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Mostly for 200 cc.   

5/13- Project X Zone 2. 

The story drags on, the gameplay gets boring after a while, and I don't care for much of the characters, except for those I do like.  

5/22- Fire Emblem Echoes 

It's flawed, but not entirely bad.  

6/11- Pilotwings Resort. 

I beat all the missions with one medal, no way am I going to take my time getting the diamond cup, and I got evening and night. It's mediocre, but there's a lot of fun to be had here. 

6/19- Final Fantasy (GBA remake on Dawn of Souls) 

I final... the game. It's really high on my favorite games I have completed, now that I...

7/9- Crash Bandicoot for the PS4 N. Sanity Remake

Everything is fine... except for the hit point detection and depth at times. 

8/2- Final Fantasy Tactics. 

Besides cheap enemy fairness and some really out of place localization flaws... and the story being a little bit confusing to follow at times, the job system, visuals and music are incredible. Grinding sucks admittedly, when enemies get stronger as your party does. But, the extra characters make this game a lot better. Some battles were annoying or very easy. Don''t know where this would fall in my best games I've beaten, but it was a rollercoaster of emotions. 

8/2- Kirby's Dream Land for the Dream Land Collection 

There was a delay in my controls sometimes, but it kept me interested for an hour. I finally played this after II. Strange, isn't it? 

8/16- Punchout! For the Wii! 

Ow, my arms... 

8/18- Diddy Kong Racing for DS. 

Ow, my hands... 

Handheld – 6
PC – 1
Mobile – 1
Overall – 15