Splatoon 3 release date - September 9th!

That was a pretty good direct

Lots of new things coming to 3

Some of these new specials and weapons  look pretty sweet - i like that katana-esque weapon

Lots of new customization options that are quite nice - so looks like there’s a lot more to collect this time around 

Deep Cut seems pretty cool so far

The new style of Splatfests are going to be interesting how they play out

No preorder announcement for the Oled, though - does this mean they won’t be preorderable, or are they just not ready yet?

Partially surprised considering we’re 16 days away from the release

Don’t know if it’s an in store only thing or not - there’s a chance i might have to get lucky in getting one in store - either way it’s restricted for 1 per person (at least it hopefully and should be)

Granted, I won’t be home until the 27th, so might have to have it picked up for me since I won’t be able to go out that day

Also Splatfest Premiere on the 27th

Not a testfire demo, but still pretty cool to see an early Splatfest

Edited by Shadow118

Splatoon 3 is looking pretty FRESH, especially will the new QoL online features.

- I love all the new customization options.

- Was hoping they'd take the Story Mode to the next level, but it seems to be more of the same.

- A deck-builder card game? WHAT! It'd be cool if there were actual cards you could buy to play the game IRL that were also amiibo you could scan in to get cards in-game you don't have.

- Large-Scale DLC? I'm not sure how I feel about this. I wonder what exactly they have planned for this? Is it mainly for the single player, like past DLC or will it be used to make this game feel like a TRUE sequel?

- Salmon Run looks to be more of the same, but with new enemy types. I wished they would have really taken this to the next lvl too.

- Splatfests now have 3 teams. This should make things very interesting.

- Not sure how I feel about Deep Cut. First Impressions: Shiver has a classic/modern Japanese vibe and the Frye like a modern/classic hip-hop vibe. Oh!... and Big Man...Well, he is a big manta ray. LOL! Calie and Marie were great, but Marina and Peral where where it's at! Their different personalities are so good together! It's gonna take some time to warm-up to Deep Cut. I do really dig their name, though. I mean, who doesn't like deep cuts (music wise)!

- Deep Cut's Splatfest song.... IT'S SO GOOD! Those drums and trumpets!! 😍 ...Still, nothing will beat Ebb & Flow!

Edited by alienboyva

Being able to guarantee you're all on the same team when playing online with friends and being able to play Salmon Run whenever are HUGE WINS!

Also, I like how you can create different tags to find groups of people to play with online. I know quite a few of us here have everyone on their Friend List, but we should definitely create a Ninfora tag. ;) 

• Sounds like they're doing a battle pass/seasonal items release without the associated cost, so that's cool. As much as I enjoy Splatoon sometimes it's hard to keep coming back to it months later, maybe this is the incentive I need.
  • I'd forgotten all about Salmon Run only being available some of the time; good to hear it's always available in 3, I always really enjoyed it.
  • I'm always a little annoyed when paid DLC is announced before the game is even released, but oh well. Hopefully it'll be like 2's story expansion, hopefully even bigger, in fact. And based on the teaser image, it looks like it'll involve Pearl and Marina.
  • Three team Splatfests sounds interesting, I wonder how it'll affect the mirror match issue though—it might make it better or it might make it way worse if one team has like 50% of players and the remaining 50% are split between the other two teams. Still, I'm looking forward to what kind of team themes they cook up with three options. When can we expect a Zelda-themed Splatfest between power, wisdom, and courage?
  • Surprised there's no new Ranked game mode, but maybe 4 is already plenty.
  • The card minigame…eh. I've never been a big fan of these in other games but who knows, maybe this one will hook me.
  • One other little thing that intrigued me: they've added checkpoints in Rainmaker. Curious to see how that affects the game mode—I assume it'll concentrate battles around the checkpoints instead of allowing players to just blitz for the enemy goal, might slow down the action and make it more balanced.

Going to remember to preorder this in the coming weeks if able to

Also thinking about it, with three new idols, I’m curious and looking forward to see if Figmas will be made of these 3

Big Man might be one that might be tricky or challenging to do considering his shape, so I’m not sure on the possibility on that one one way or the other at this time - not saying it’s impossible though

Also looking forward to seeing if/when we’ll get a Figma of the new Agent with a little Salmonid buddy in the future as well

Granted, it’s a newer game so might be awhile before there’s a chance of anything being announced or revealed

Though I’m surprised we haven’t gotten Figmas of Callie and Marie 

Still need to track down and get my hands on the other Figmas at some point, too…

Edited by Shadow118

Well, I could of watch this yesterday for my b-day. There was more good than meh, (not bad news) regardless it was a good watch today.

I understand why this game have cloud saves now for the replays and when Splatoon 2 came out, the online was free till we had to pay September 2018. So when you look at the development of Splatoon launching year one on Switch it is no wonder the online wasn't much better than what we wanted out it. We got it here with Splatoon 3, it makes me wonder whenever we get the next Splatoon the features will keep getting better cause we are most likely getting new entries every 3-5 years. So that is a lot to anticipate and expect features getting better, not so bad trade off if Splatoon 2 to Splatoon 3 is the example to go off.

So cloud saves for replays and local is nice and so it the online joining game in progress, and being on the same team side as your friends finally. This was a must.

I don't know how to feel about that Table Turf Battle. It's a Tetris game disguised as a card game format of Turf War for Splatoon 3. Most or some can do and have fun with Tetris, not I. Any form or hint I see of Tetris just turns me off. I will give it a shot and see how it goes but I make no guarantees, I will like it. 

Not that it is fair to call 3 new peeps who announce all the news at the start of game idol hosts but they are essential members of Splatcast. (podcast) I think they sing and dance but that is not their day job. As for their look, they are growing on me.

Tri-color splatfest is genius and cannot wait to take part in one of these in action!

Not much more details on the story, I think either they are down playing it or not much is gonna different from the single player we should expect despite the tease of finale saga. Whatever that means.

I like that licenses are being used to get weapons, to manage money between that and clothing is a drag when you first start up Splatoon so I appreciate this change.

Also, love the locker customization, Salmon Run is anytime and this Big Run is probably why tho won't happen often why Salmon Run overall is anytime. Good change there.

Overall, good news shared and look forward to the Splatfest at the end of this month.

21 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:
  •  
  • I'm always a little annoyed when paid DLC is announced before the game is even released, but oh well. Hopefully it'll be like 2's story expansion, hopefully even bigger, in fact. And based on the teaser image, it looks like it'll involve Pearl and Marina.
  • Three team Splatfests sounds interesting, I wonder how it'll affect the mirror match issue though—it might make it better or it might make it way worse if one team has like 50% of players and the remaining 50% are split between the other two teams. Still, I'm looking forward to what kind of team themes they cook up with three options. ed.

The first point, if this was anyone but Nintendo announcing paid DLC before the game is out, I would have that same concern. So Nintendo track record with this approach for some of their games I played and purchased have delivered so I don't expect to be disappoint or at the very least little disappointed.

The 2nd point, yeah, I've bee thinking this one over. Anyone who regular splatfest, between the 2 teams there will always be a popular pick that dominate match up same teams facing each other. I can't see for certain it would fix it but it could go this way: Splitting 3 ways wins, no matter how the breakdown in popularity would still be in the tri-color splatfest of 2 teams vs 1. What might happen, maybe is the 2 most popular would be divided by 3, the first popular pick of 4 in the middle and the 2 teams on the side would be 2nd popular of 2v2, in some matches, maybe. At worse it could be that or this division of 3 actually means we will get to face off with 3 teams in the tri-color turf war everytime. I can't say how the first part of the turf war will be 3 teams but the map split for 2 teams at a time, probably rotates and that is how they determine who top of the picks and the rest are 2nd and 3rd for tri-color splatfest.

First NA Splatoon 3 commercial...

Well, that certainly is an interesting direction (seems like NOA was inspired by the NOE Splatoon 2 commercial)... At least it's not as annoying as that one Splatoon commercial for Wii U. <-- You know which one! :P  I feel like this commercial could have really used more intergenic music. Though, I do like how all their clothes have ink spattered all over it. Not terrible, but could have been a bit better. I'm interested to see if NOA has any other commercials for the game.

Edited by alienboyva

@alienboyva: I seen the the thumbnail show up in my recommend for YT, I normal don't watch Nintendo commercials but this one is not that bad. Like AB said, like the ink effect to a degree. If I had to say what the viscosity of thickness, it is few behind literally molasses. It just look like it is not far from it and yeah, oil paint can get thick and I think that is what the effect guys were going for but ppl keep forget this ink colored in at it and ink is not that thick looking. It's almost water like, thus aquatic life of squid and octolings. Just look how the ink effect was on MK8 and that is what they should aim for or at least how it looks in game for Splatoon 3. Each game had its unique look to ink, don't know why it keeps changing not bothered by it but why the change every iteration?

As for the original Splatoon jingle, I'm probably one of the few that liked it. I can't say when it first came out or shortly after the game came out, I resent it but I really like it. It's not one of those if the more you say you don't like it, I like it more but to me it is not a bad jingle and it sort of catchy in a corny way. I am after all a corny dude so I relate to it and it the still 90's vibe of Splatoon. As a 90's kid to it resonate there as well too.

Edited by DLurkster

@DLurkster I made a banner that you can use if you want...

On 8/15/2022 at 6:10 PM, DLurkster said:

As for the original Splatoon jingle, I'm probably one of the few that liked it. I can't say when it first came out or shortly after the game came out, I resent it but I really like it. It's not one of those if the more you say you don't like it, I like it more but to me it is not a bad jingle and it sort of catchy in a corny way. I am after all a corny dude so I relate to it and it the still 90's vibe of Splatoon. As a 90's kid to it resonate there as well too.

It's just the "You're a kid. You're a Squid" jingle they used in one of the original Splatoon CMs that got annoying after a while. The other song they used was actually kind of awesome.

Edited by alienboyva
updated banner

Serious question...

- Inkling or Octoling?

- Rock, Paper, or Scissors? 

Inkling for me. I'll always be a Squid Kid! :P  I kind of like the inklings design a bit better (especially squid form). IDK, that might be a bit biased from being so used to playing as an inkling in the first two games. Though, the design of the octoling girl in the Octo-Expansion was pretty cute. ^_^

As for the first (pre-launch) Splatfest, I'm going Team Rock! It's usually by go to for Rock, Paper, Scissors. Though I have a feeling most people will go Team Scissors, because Big Man. Oh...If anyone hasn't noticed yet, you can pre-load the Splatoon 3 Splatfest World Premier (Demo). 🔗https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-3-splatfest-world-premiere-switch/ I'm really interested to see how the tri-color Splatfest rounds play. 

BTW, @DLurkster I made an update to the banner. You can find it in my previous post.

Edited by alienboyva
40 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Serious question...

- Inkling or Octoling?

- Rock, Paper, or Scissors? 

Inkling for me. I'll always be a Squid Kid! :P  I kind of like the inklings design a bit better (especially squid form). IDK, that might be a bit biased from being so used to playing as an inkling in the first two games. Though, the design of the octoling girl in the Octo-Expansion was pretty cute. ^_^

As for the first (pre-launch) Splatfest, I'm going Team Rock! It's usually by go to for Rock, Paper, Scissors. Though I have a feeling most people will go Team Scissors, because Big Man. Oh...If anyone hasn't noticed yet, you can pre-load the Splatoon 3 Splatfest World Premier (Demo). 🔗https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-3-splatfest-world-premiere-switch/ I'm really interested to see how the tri-color Splatfest rounds play. 

BTW, @DLurkster I made an update to the banner. You can find it in my previous post.

To the first question, currently it doesn't matter which species I go for I think they are cool in their own ways. It's again how love both Oot and Majora's Mask, cool games but they both do different things why I love them so.

Back when the Octo Expansion happened, oh boy I was on Octoling fanboy. I loved everything about them. Once I got my V2 Switch in August '19, I had to start my Splatoon 2 file from scratch because that game doesn't have cloud saves. (unlike Splatoon 3) When I started over, I went with an Octoling. I think I still am and tho my level before the start over is not like lvl 40-50. I think for this new file I am beyond lvl 20. I had to raise my level a bit for subsequent Splatfest that happened. You needed be a certain lvl to use weapons. (especially if you have a particular weapon you want to use) So yeah, I am set for Splatoon 3 when I start, with levels and maybe weapons. Great way to get in for those who have been playing since Splatoon. So I appreciate that effort for those who want just jump and not start from scratch scratch.

As for the team, like my response for Inkling or Octoling, it doesn't matter. This is said with no attachments to the new crew too. It takes a while for me to warm up to new idols, it was like that with Callie and Marie, Pearl and Marina and so with Shiver, Fyre and Big Man. So with that said, in general when I play rock, paper, scissors, I lean to rock or scissor. I am not going against my past inclinations but I just wanna go paper. Again no attachment to the hosts or how I play rock, paper, and scissors, it's just a gut feel to go with paper so I am gonna stick with that. Tho that decision wasn't right away, I actually thought about it but not hard or just gave up thinking, I just randomly decided paper and then something in my gut said, yeah paper it is right after that thought, like it was meant to be not matter how even or not this splatfest will be.

Tho below is my theory in how they may or may fix uneven teams.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:49 PM, DLurkster said:

I've been thinking this over 3 teams thing. Anyone who regular splatfest, between the 2 teams there will always be a popular pick that dominate match up same teams facing each other. I can't see for certain it would fix it but it could go this way: Splitting 3 ways wins, no matter how the breakdown in popularity would still be in the tri-color splatfest of 2 teams vs 1. What might happen, maybe is the 2 most popular would be divided by 3, the first popular pick of 4 in the middle and the 2 teams on the side would be 2nd popular of 2v2, in some matches, maybe. At worse it could be that or this division of 3 actually means we will get to face off with 3 teams in the tri-color turf war everytime. I can't say how the first part of the turf war will be 3 teams but the map split for 2 teams at a time, probably rotates and that is how they determine who top of the picks and the rest are 2nd and 3rd for tri-color splatfest.

I've never really had any issues with Splatoon 2's online....Oh, wait! I did have some issues back when Splatoon 2 first launched, where I'd get DC'd even with full Wi-Fi signal. I assumed this was on Nintendo's end, but It could have been do to my Wi-Fi being slow or whatever. Anyway, it's nice to see Nintendo actively working to make the online better.

Also, nice to see they're make things look better with Splatoon 3. Splatoon 2 already looked great on Switch, but still, you don't want a XBC2 handheld mode situation. Looking back at footage of Splatoon on Wii U (which I posted in a previous post) makes me appreciate just how good Splatoon 2 and 3 look on Switch.

Edited by alienboyva

Cool news!

As the article states from GoNintendo, this is the 3rd game to use the NPLN (I see what they did there) but really the 3rd? There should be more, oh well.

Speaking of the revamp online structure of NSO, I wonder when we get the iterative of MK and Smash will have this new online infrastructure from the jump? It has to right?

Unless this case be case use is for games that really need, why we haven't seen a lot of this implemented. The other reason could be they want to use with big online and Nintendo games, not the Mario Sports or the new Kirby Buffet game. (Tho, that leaves the question why Mario Party Superstar have it? Not that it is not a big deal, Smash and MK are clearly bigger franchises that warrant better online infrastructure, am I wrong here?)  

Here's something fun Japan is doing on Twitter to rep your team during the upcoming Splatfest...

These badges will be added to your Twitter profile pic once the Splatfest starts and will change when the 2nd round stars.  IDK if they are going to do this outside of JPN, but as of now seems it's only for JPN (IDK if it will work any Twitter account linked to any Nintendo account). No need to worry, someone on Twitter has went and made English versions...

*Apparently the JPN version says something like "I'm participating in the Splatfest!"

Edited by alienboyva

This is pretty cool! I remember the Splatoon and Splatoon demos only have 4 weapons. I wonder if this time they will also let you play with friends? I doubt it, but I would be nice. Also, It'd be cool if you got something in Splatoon 3 for participating in the pre-launch Splatfest.

5 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

This is pretty cool! I remember the Splatoon and Splatoon demos only have 4 weapons. I wonder if this time they will also let you play with friends? I doubt it, but I would be nice. Also, It'd be cool if you got something in Splatoon 3 for participating in the pre-launch Splatfest.

Huh, I forgot how many weapons were in the previous premiere splatfest demo had.

Interesting but I think this is thanks to the extended online features with cloud saves of this game, that it can support this many types of weapons.

That and really cement what they said that all the weapons from previous Splatoons will be in Splatoon 3.