Super Mario Run requires always online connection to play

Chrom

1 minute ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Always online?

Better not be in the Switch as a requirement for playing single player mode a la SimCity 2013.

But could it work on a person's Wi Fi?

Word.

Especially once I move to just having wifi (just 250gb a month -- I think it's the same with cable and it for what it's worth). It's a lot, but yet... it gets used enough that it adds up.

Good question.

In other words, they want to be able to monitor the game to detect hackers and people using root, same as Pokémon Go.  Aside from the "network saves" bit, the only reason they could ask for an internet connection is to validate the game and make sure you're not editing your saves or otherwise cheating...

1 hour ago, CCH said:

In other words, they want to be able to monitor the game to detect hackers and people using root, same as Pokémon Go.  Aside from the "network saves" bit, the only reason they could ask for an internet connection is to validate the game and make sure you're not editing your saves or otherwise cheating...

Yea figured. Ugh. Definitely passing on this one.

Super Mario Run is like many other mobiles games with heavily integrated social features so yeah naturally it makes sense that it really only works when you're online, though ideally I think it would be nice if the convenience of enjoying the game offline didn't need to be compromised. After all, most people are used to not needing a connection to play a Mario game on the go.

I mean just about all mobile games need an internet connection for half of the features to function properly. This doesn't really bother me because I can't see it using that much data. I don't know if I'll buy it anyway because as good as this looks I just don't play many games on my phone. 

The impressions I've seen so far have been "Meh..." I wish I could say that gave me hope that it'd flop and Nintendo would move away from mobile, but I know better.

I forgot this game was under a free to start model. I'd still rather see the next console Mario fair far better, but as long as they keep things going with a 'buy and enjoy' pay model I don't mind their mobile games being successful. It's certainly better to see them do well and this kind of pay model continue.

Edited by The Guardian Lycanroc