The My Nintendo Thread - Club Nintendo's Successor

Isotope

4 minutes ago, JanusDS said:

I've gotten a few gold coins primarily from the fact that since I didn't own a Wii U until this year, I've bought a few VC games that I wanted that weren't on the Wii VC; but the only thing I see that I might would spend them on is that MK8 dlc set 1. Unfortunately I don't have enough gold coins too get that yet; but maybe since they last longer, I'll end up getting enough to get them. The sad thing though is that I haven't even played MK8 yet and am not in a huge rush to since I couldn't play online with anybody anyway. :(

Ah. I see. I'm in a similar boat. I was lucky to get the dlc, but I don't get to play online much either. Maybe we can race sometime.

34 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

Ah. I see. I'm in a similar boat. I was lucky to get the dlc, but I don't get to play online much either. Maybe we can race sometime.

Well, I meant I can't play because my internet connection is REALLY slow. It sucks though cuz I used to play MK7 online back when I had a decent internet connection, 15 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up and I would still get crazy lag whenever overseas people would jump in a room, which was virtually always in the WW's. That really pissed me off that you couldn't limit it to regions cuz it always worked fine when I did community races with NS2 people and it was all US and Canada; but you could only earn the whatmacallit points in WW's. >:(

If I ever do get good internet out here, I'll definitely be down to race some people up here although I know I'll suck since I haven't even started playing it yet, lol. But I don't see that happening anytime soon since I live literally in the middle of the woods. Eh shit, by that time, people will probably be playing MK9 on the NX! :sadkong:

14 minutes ago, JanusDS said:

Well, I meant I can't play because my internet connection is REALLY slow. It sucks though cuz I used to play MK7 online back when I had a decent internet connection, 15 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up and I would still get crazy lag whenever overseas people would jump in a room, which was virtually always in the WW's. That really pissed me off that you couldn't limit it to regions cuz it always worked fine when I did community races with NS2 people and it was all US and Canada; but you could only earn the whatmacallit points in WW's. >:(

If I ever do get good internet out here, I'll definitely be down to race some people up here although I know I'll suck since I haven't even started playing it yet, lol. But I don't see that happening anytime soon since I live literally in the middle of the woods. Eh shit, by that time, people will probably be playing MK9 on the NX! :sadkong:

Ah dang. That sucks. I get around 23mbps down, 4.80up, so I'm kind of in a similar boat at times.

1 hour ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

Ah dang. That sucks. I get around 23mbps down, 4.80up, so I'm kind of in a similar boat at times.

Yeah, I'm still not sure about back when I played MK7 online if it was that I just didn't have enough bandwith, even with the 15 down / 1 up, or if it was just Time Warner being a piece of shit, which I still tend to lean toward the latter option, lol. I know that the modem I had during some of that time was going bad cuz I finally had to replace it and that helped a lot of my online problems but from what I recall, I still had problems with those MK7 WW matches when there were overseas people in the room even after I switched out my modem.

3 minutes ago, JanusDS said:

Yeah, I'm still not sure about back when I played MK7 online if it was that I just didn't have enough bandwith, even with the 15 down / 1 up, or if it was just Time Warner being a piece of shit, which I still tend to lean toward the latter option, lol. I know that the modem I had during some of that time was going bad cuz I finally had to replace it and that helped a lot of my online problems but from what I recall, I still had problems with those MK7 WW matches when there were overseas people in the room even after I switched out my modem.

Ah. 

My router is nearing it's end too. Gotta have to get it replaced. Did some stuff on my end and it seems to have stopped some of the drops. But it doesn't help when the ISP isn't willing to let people upgrade to newer model routers. AT&T is a pita. I'm stuck with 3801's (2wire). And... they're something alright. :awesome:  ISP's can be real winners. Don't envy you with Time Warner, I've heard they're pretty bad as well.

Edited by Lance's Dragonite
10 hours ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

Ah. 

My router is nearing it's end too. Gotta have to get it replaced. Did some stuff on my end and it seems to have stopped some of the drops. But it doesn't help when the ISP isn't willing to let people upgrade to newer model routers. AT&T is a pita. I'm stuck with 3801's (2wire). And... they're something alright. :awesome:  ISP's can be real winners. Don't envy you with Time Warner, I've heard they're pretty bad as well.

Well, where I'm living now, my ISP is Century Link and they're pretty big buttholes as well. When I first moved out here, they told me the best internet speed I could get was 256 Kbps down / 128 Kbps up and I said "bullshit, my 2 neighbors have 512 Kbps down / 256 Kbps up, one of them is no more than 20 ft away and the other is about 100 ft away" and they kept giving me this shit about "well, that's what the system shows so that's what it is". So when the tech comes out to set it up, he does a speed check to make sure the line works and I just happened to be talking about how shitty the speed was and he says, "well you're right, that is some bullshit cuz you can get a max of 2.5 Mbps down, which qualifies you for the 1.5 Mbps / 256Kbps package." So he said he would have to tell his boss and they'd have to get it corrected in the 'system'. So I told my neighbors about that knowing that since we are all on the same box from the road, they should both be able to get the same and man, you've never seen anybody have to fight and have as much hassle over some dumb shit like that as they did. It took me awhile myself but since the tech had vouched for me I was able to get my shit straight in about a week and a half. It took my 2 neighbors several months to get upgraded from 512 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps and Century Link was just complete assholes about it. My sister, who's one of my neighbors, finally wrote the Better Business Bureau before finally getting upgraded. That pretty much got me to the point where I'll be happy if traditional cable and phone companies go the way of the dinosaur and get replaced with shit like Google fiber and whatnot.

2 hours ago, JanusDS said:

Well, where I'm living now, my ISP is Century Link and they're pretty big buttholes as well. When I first moved out here, they told me the best internet speed I could get was 256 Kbps down / 128 Kbps up and I said "bullshit, my 2 neighbors have 512 Kbps down / 256 Kbps up, one of them is no more than 20 ft away and the other is about 100 ft away" and they kept giving me this shit about "well, that's what the system shows so that's what it is". So when the tech comes out to set it up, he does a speed check to make sure the line works and I just happened to be talking about how shitty the speed was and he says, "well you're right, that is some bullshit cuz you can get a max of 2.5 Mbps down, which qualifies you for the 1.5 Mbps / 256Kbps package." So he said he would have to tell his boss and they'd have to get it corrected in the 'system'. So I told my neighbors about that knowing that since we are all on the same box from the road, they should both be able to get the same and man, you've never seen anybody have to fight and have as much hassle over some dumb shit like that as they did. It took me awhile myself but since the tech had vouched for me I was able to get my shit straight in about a week and a half. It took my 2 neighbors several months to get upgraded from 512 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps and Century Link was just complete assholes about it. My sister, who's one of my neighbors, finally wrote the Better Business Bureau before finally getting upgraded. That pretty much got me to the point where I'll be happy if traditional cable and phone companies go the way of the dinosaur and get replaced with shit like Google fiber and whatnot.

Wow. That's really, really bad. Don't blame ya too. I want them to go that way as well to be honest.

Something interesting I just noticed that I don't think I've seen discussed before: cross-buy games count for both systems you download them on. I bought Severed on Wii U when it released, received 20 gold points, and just downloaded the 3DS version earning an additional 20. Not a bad way to stock up on gold points–well, if there was something worth spending them on at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have over 1300 points expiring on my Club Nintendo account tomorrow.  Let's see what I can spend it on...

1-5.  Garbage Miitomo items.
6.  30% off Ultimate NES Remix.  Uh, I already have NES Remix 1 and 2 for Wii U.  I might consider double-dipping if the price was low enough, but $20?  No.

7.  15% off Paper Mario: Sticker Star.  Bad game, and I already have it.
8.  15% off Pushmo World.  Golly gee, Nintendo.  I get a whole $1.50 discount?? -150 coins.
9.  15% off Yoshi's Story.  ^ditto - 150 coins

10.  15% off Fluidity: Spin Cycle.  ^^ditto.  Also, I don't know anything about this game. - 170 coins
11.  15% off Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure.  ^^^ditto - 140 coins.

12-15.  Themes

16.  TP Picross, but I already have it.  I would buy it for a friend, but I can't buy it more than once.

So basically, I have to pay Nintendo to spend any of my Platinum points, unless I get a shitty theme or Miitomo item.

Maybe I can at least convince Nintendo Support to give me a TP Picross code so that I can give it to a friend.  Probably not.

@CrypticSo wait, cause you can't buy something twice from My Nintendo, you can't send it to another as a gift?

WTF, Nintendo, Nintendo. Please give back the gift of gifting, for fuck sakes you probably have thousands cases like this that are stuck between a rock and hard place and can't do anything cause you got crap selection of digital stuff and it that wasn't bad enough in most cases they already own the stuff you have up there as well. Like, what are suppose to do in a situation like this?!? If you allowed gifting on this platform and on I hope gifting comes to the Switch, (that is something that was missing on Wii U and 3DS) it make situations like this more tolerable to all. What is the issue that this can't be done, I don't understand this?!?

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

@CrypticSo wait, cause you can't buy something twice from My Nintendo, you can't send it to another as a gift?

WTF, Nintendo, Nintendo. Please give back the gift of gifting, for fuck sakes you probably have thousands cases like this that are stuck between a rock and hard place and can't do anything cause you got crap selection of digital stuff and it that wasn't bad enough in most cases they already own the stuff you have up there as well. Like, what are suppose to do in a situation like this?!? If you allowed gifting on this platform and on I hope gifting comes to the Switch, (that is something that was missing on Wii U and 3DS) it make situations like this more tolerable to all. What is the issue that this can't be done, I don't understand this?!?

My Nintendo gives you a redeemable code, but it will only give you one.  Won't give you any additional ones.  So yeah, no gifting to friends through that.

Nintendo is dumb.

Edited by Cryptic
1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Word. There's not a lot to choose from and not everyone wants to get Miitomo. I don't get it either.

Yeah, I know the codes you're talking about.

Everything this gen with Nintendo is with a code, the code would work a lot better to send to others not necessarily to buy DLC for two Smash games. You get the DLC for one Smash game and the other you gotta put in code to get the other stuff. Kind of annoying, the same is done to get themes, and special games. I don't think I bought any discount games from My Nintendo cause like I said I already own them and the few that are there I'm not interested so I'm not sure if they give a code for those kind of things as well. What's the point of code to complicate how you get it for yourself but you can't pass it along to others.

5 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, I know the codes you're talking about.

Everything this gen with Nintendo is with a code, the code would work a lot better to send to others not necessarily to buy DLC for two Smash games. You get the DLC for one Smash game and the other you gotta put in code to get the other stuff. Kind of annoying, the same is done to get themes, and special games. I don't think I bought any discount games from My Nintendo cause like I said I already own them and the few that are there I'm not interested so I'm not sure if they give a code for those kind of things as well. What's the point of code to complicate how you get it for yourself but you can't pass it along to others.

Yep. And if I remember correctly, it was done with Club Nintendo. I was able to use the code on my mom's 3ds, since I was low on space at the time on mine. So the codes don't bug me. What bugs me is the fact that it's just a percentage off a game. Often not enough to justify using any coins. It would be great if there was an option to turn in the coins for eshop codes.

5 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

Yep. And if I remember correctly, it was done with Club Nintendo. I was able to use the code on my mom's 3ds, since I was low on space at the time on mine. So the codes don't bug me. What bugs me is the fact that it's just a percentage off a game. Often not enough to justify using any coins. It would be great if there was an option to turn in the coins for eshop codes.

Wow, how'd I missed that. I had a feeling I was off explaining code sharing, the old school way but besides that there's should be gift option just like there was on the Wii. How is it that sometimes when Nintendo does something right they never go back to it? This is what makes me wonder they really like being different for the sake of being different. Like Wii Speak on Wii was great (never used but I've heard it was) and gifting. They took away gifting and brought Wii U chat on system level and not on game level.

Well, depending how much you were gonna spend with or withour the percentage off, I can see that being a issue but I agree, those percentages isn't enough. I think the highest I seen was 50% but I could of been imagining it. I know the norm is 30% regardless of the type of game. Record selling or VC, like the hell Nintendo. I know you're a business but you and everyone else make money with what they got, no need to short change us, charge $1.50 for VC on Wii U or double dipping VC from Wii  to Wii U and 3DS.

I really hope with the Switch they bring that stuff all over for free like PS titles to different consoles or better yet pay month fees for all the VC title you can play like Netflix. (I'm sure if that's how it works on Playstation 4 Playstation now subscription but aren't the prices on those not really adjusted properly) Though before we can even think of that service for VC who would be the server that run that? In comparison the streaming PS3 games, this won't be much of issue for NES, SNES, N64 games So I can see this working for those worry about bandwidth so that could cut server cost for Nintendo, I believe. So they wouldn't need someone who charge a lot for something more intensive but can stream games from the 8-bit era to 64 bit.

4 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Wow, how'd I missed that. I had a feeling I was off explaining code sharing, the old school way but besides that there's should be gift option just like there was on the Wii. How is it that sometimes when Nintendo does something right they never go back to it? This is what makes me wonder they really like being different for the sake of being different. Like Wii Speak on Wii was great (never used but I've heard it was) and gifting. They took away gifting and brought Wii U chat on system level and not on game level.

Well, depending how much you were gonna spend with or withour the percentage off, I can see that being a issue but I agree, those percentages isn't enough. I think the highest I seen was 50% but I could of been imagining it. I know the norm is 30% regardless of the type of game. Record selling or VC, like the hell Nintendo. I know you're a business but you and everyone else make money with what they got, no need to short change us, charge $1.50 for VC on Wii U or double dipping VC from Wii  to Wii U and 3DS.

I really hope with the Switch they bring that stuff all over for free like PS titles to different consoles or better yet pay month fees for all the VC title you can play like Netflix. (I'm sure if that's how it works on Playstation 4 Playstation now subscription but aren't the prices on those not really adjusted properly) Though before we can even think of that service for VC who would be the server that run that? In comparison the streaming PS3 games, this won't be much of issue for NES, SNES, N64 games So I can see this working for those worry about bandwidth so that could cut server cost for Nintendo, I believe. So they wouldn't need someone who charge a lot for something more intensive but can stream games from the 8-bit era to 64 bit.

Yea there should be. And speaking of codes, I was able to do that with a Bravely Default background. Used it on my N3ds instead of my regular one. Didn't have a background for it at the time, so I went with that. So we're still able to do that. I hope that they do bring gifting back in some way though.

Exactly. I'm interested in the 30 percent off of Fire Emblem and it gives a decent discount. It would only be $5.50 instead of around $8. So I can justify that. But with a bigger game, no. That is no kind of reward.

I'm not sure of what to think about that. I have no need or any real interest for a system like XBox and Playstation has set up. I pay enough already in regards to buying games. I don't want to go to a pay to play structure.

3 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

I'm not sure of what to think about that. I have no need or any real interest for a system like XBox and Playstation has set up. I pay enough already in regards to buying games. I don't want to go to a pay to play structure.

Yeah, I figure that with you. I could go either way with subscriptions of per month or paying to play game online but at the end of the day, I know everybody like if you could get it for free, they still should have voice and party chat free. Free games gotta go cause you're not pay for platform to pubs to make give those platform a free game for the month. That's unfortunate, if they could do something like Wii U deluxe plan and the current My Nintendo, with free online with party and voice chat, I that could be a good online service for Switch and swing the free angle with this. Why would money be involved with what I mentioned. I can understand for servers and free games a months but not spread of idea I have.

5 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, I figure that with you. I could go either way with subscriptions of per month or paying to play game online but at the end of the day, I know everybody like if you could get it for free, they still should have voice and party chat free. Free games gotta go cause you're not pay for platform to pubs to make give those platform a free game for the month. That's unfortunate, if they could do something like Wii U deluxe plan and the current My Nintendo, with free online with party and voice chat, I that could be a good online service for Switch and swing the free angle with this. Why would money be involved with what I mentioned. I can understand for servers and free games a months but not spread of idea I have.

Disagree on it. Since I don't use voice or party chat. I only use it for online battling and the like. So it would be beyond impractical for gamers like myself to be in a situation similar to with the PS4. Glad that Nintendo hasn't done that.

A lot of people could have the potential to be screwed over. Want to trade or battle in Pokemon? Pay a yearly fee. Want to visit your friends town in Animal Crossing? Want to battle your friend in Smash? Want to race your friend in Mario Kart? Want to face off against your friend in Splatoon? Want to play a friends level in Super Mario Maker? Pay a yearly fee. (meaning the once a year fee like with Xbox and Playstation)

It's not a good pattern that would be forming. I don't mind an optional service where people could rent and try out games. But I'm not sold on a PS Plus like one. Just no.

Edited by Lance's Dragonite
6 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

Disagree on it. Since I don't use voice or party chat. I only use it for online battling and the like. So it would be beyond impractical for gamers like myself to be in a situation similar to with the PS4. Glad that Nintendo hasn't done that. A lot of people could have the potential to be screwed over. Want to trade or battle in Pokemon? Pay a yearly fee. Want to visit your friends town in Animal Crossing? Want to battle your friend in Smash? Want to race your friend in Mario Kart? Want to face off against your friend in Splatoon? Want to play a friends level in Super Mario Maker? Pay a yearly fee.

It's not a good pattern that would be forming. I don't mind an optional service where people could rent and try out games. But I'm not sold on a PS Plus like one. Just no.

No, you misinterpreting me. I'm not saying to pay for party and voice chat along with the discount games in style like My Nintendo and the deluxe Wii U discount. If the Switch had all I said there for free that would already make the online better than the Wii U. Also add in better notification and messaging too. No money should be involved to bring us service like that. (that I fell only comes into play with free games per month with Playstation and Xbox have established) Like they say you pay for what you get and that is what I meant that I could go either way with paying or not paying but I believe most or all would rather not pay.

I agree with your examples of paying online for those Nintendo games, that would be ridiculous.

Edited by DLurkster