Your favorite boss music

A podcast I listen to went over their top boss music picks so why not do the same here (feels like it's been a while since we had a thread like this). Share your favorite boss music, doesn't have to be final bosses, just something that stuck with you. Can be any version/arrangement. In the interest of brevity let's limit to just 3 picks though.

First one that comes to mind for me is Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy VI. Almost feels unfair to count it since it's such a long, epic track but it's just perfect for Kefka and I love every part of it.

Yep just leaning on my two favorite games for these picks but c'mon, all the music in Chrono Trigger is so good and Magus's Theme is so intense and dramatic, it really feels like the culmination of your quest (even though it isn't actually the end).

This one from Bravely Default also jumped to mind pretty quickly. It's an awesome song to pump you up while fighting a boss but the way each character's theme plays around the two-thirds mark, when it feels like the tide is shifting in your favor, is fantastic.

Edited by Eliwood8

The first one that comes to mind is this one....

I like it because to me it tells the tale of the pain of Fawful to be recognized for once and his desperate attacks he throws at the bros as the bros struggle to dodge some really nightmare inducing attacks. (This song is Smash Ultimate too)

That's the feel I get from this boss music. Then again this song was composed by the one and only Yoko Shimomura. The best when it comes to composing music with such deep connections with the games she is a part of. She is very good at doing that.

3 is the limit, I'll think of the other 2 down the road that I have to think of.

Thought of another one...

Again another song where I can hear why villain justify their actions, it's all in the lyric and I prefer this version over the Crush 40 version. It's good but this one is better with the tempo and the beats, along the resonating lyrics of the song during the fight with the final boss and Sonic perspective as well too.

This song should be in Smash Ultimate, I don't know why, we have a song from Secret rings so why not from Sonic and the Black Knight?

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Can't believe I almost forgot about this one:

Thank you Steve you make this post even more valid as a quasi sequel lead up....you should know where I am going....

In the Gerudo Desert in BotW there's a Sand creature that attacks you from under the sand at random, then this song just comes in and you feel slow panic creep up to you in the first phase of the song with the drums. The 2nd phase goes in with the violins and drums creating opportunity to win but be careful at any moment the tide can change in favor to the enemy. I really like the tightrope feeling of of the 2nd phase of the song. Overall a great song, may actually be a boss boss but is world boss that is BotW.

Going back to Steve Molgera song, I think that is the only unique boss them in the Zelda series. It really stands alone in that regard. Great choice again Steve!

This is my last song I will post here, that is 3 for me. It was either that opera like song from Fire Emblem: Three Houses when you face Nemesis. It really is god tier music in game that already have some bangers in there or this song from BotW. Went this and I am glad as Steve demonstrated for me again with Molgera theme, lol.

I love it, already some great themes here but let me throw in the first few that came to my mind. I'm sure there's a bunch more I could come up with but limiting to three is a good call. 

This is probably cheating a bit because "Proof of a Hero" is really just the Monster Hunter theme. However, it's the use of this theme in the Fatalis fight that made me love it so much and it was the immediate thing that came to my mind. The moment when Fatalis' overwhelming, oppressive theme fades out and is replaced with this heroic, optimistic fanfare is one of my absolute favorite moments in gaming ever.  It was such an fantastic way to basically cap off this huge Monster Hunter experience. I rank Monster Hunter World: Iceborne as my third favorite game of all time, Fatalis was my favorite fight, and this was the best moment in that fight, well other than getting the actually kill.  It's kinda cheesy but I actually love the top comment on this video "When this plays, Fatalis is no longer the boss. It's you and this is Fatalis hearing your theme." 

Recency bias playing a little bit of a role here, since I just played Hollow Knight earlier this year, but even so this tune is awesome. Nightmare King Grimm was a tough fight and I  definitely had some frustrating runs/deaths, but I genuinely think this theme actually played a part in helping me stay motivated to keep trying. It was like "oh no I died, guess I get to listen to this awesome theme again." It helps that even with it's difficulty, Nightmare King Grimm ended up being my favorite fight in the game, of what I played at least, didn't do any of the Godhome stuff. 

Kind of opposite of the Hollow Knight one. This is pretty nostalgic, the video itself is even 14 years old. I loved how it included parts of the main DMC 3 theme but in a more orchestrated way more fitting for the final fight.  

Limiting this to three, I did find that difficult. There's music like the Slench boss and Sylux themes that I would've listened to the most, and are from my favorite game; however, like graphics, I think overall audio quality has been raised as time has gone on. Definitely encountered plenty of what's my favorite vs. what's better sounding while deciding what three boss themes to share.

I'll start by listing my honorable mentions: Slench Boss theme (first track I went to for this topic) from MPH, Sylux theme from MPH, Bowletta theme from Superstar Saga, Cackletta's Soul theme from Superstar Saga, Metal Scratchin' from Sonic Rush, Bomber Barbara from Sonic Rush, Ghetsis theme from Pokemon Black and White, Missile Maestro (Thinking) from Paper Mario: The Origami King, Disco Devil from Paper Mario: The Origami King, The Fanged Fastener from Paper Mario: The Origami King, Springtron's theme from ARMS, Vs. Dr. Coyle Hedlok from ARMS and Vs. Dark Dragaux from Ring Fit Adventure. Any of these honorable mentions could easily be my first mention of the Top 3 depending on my mood. 

Spoiler

The first Sonic Rush game has an incredible soundtrack, including its boss themes (maybe one day I'll hear Wrapped in Black in-game), but I think the boss theme from Sonic Rush Adventure is just a bit better than the boss themes I heard in the first game...at least at this moment. First time this theme plays I believe is against a mechanical T-Rex in a battle that unfolds across several arenas that utilize both screens of the Nintendo DS. Both the visual and audio presentation made the first boss in Sonic Rush Adventure one of the most memorable bosses I have fought. 

The next two were the only two themes that I absolutely felt were in my Top 3. 

Spoiler

This had to be included. The soundtrack of Xenoblade Chronicles is the first soundtrack I bought, second I got into was Sonic Rush, and I feel the Zanza theme captures so much of the grand experience of the game. Starts with the wonder, mystery and praise of Bionis, arguably one of the best overall settings in any video game, and then goes right into capturing the conflict you're about to go through with that titan's creator. I've only heard this theme once in-game, and I think that's all that's needed to understand why this theme is one of the best. Hadn't listened to this theme in a while, did for this topic, and got immediate chills in the intro. The rest of the song was more of an emotional response, knowing full well the investment and adventure that leads to this battle. 

Spoiler

What theme ultimately slays the one for a god...it has to be the theme of the Rad Scientist herself, right? The theme perfectly captures her ascension to becoming a highly skilled ARMS fighter through her experiments and inventions as the head of ARMS Laboratories. It also creates one of the most high energy encounters I've encountered in a game, especially when playing ARMS with my actual arms. I do have an emotional response at times to hearing this boss/character theme just from the more personal, physical immersion involved fighting against Dr. Coyle and as her. The variation that plays for her introduction and reveal as the final ARMS fighter needs a mention here too. Just from the music alone, I consider her unveiling to be the best from Nintendo of any single character.

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

@Igneous42:  1st song: The only MH game I played was last summer on the Switch Monster Hunter Stories 2 Wings of Ruin. The theme you provided tho I haven't played MH game, I've heard that overall them for MH so many times it just doesn't stand out or sound special, just my opinion.

2nd song: We all heard good thing about Hollow Knight and soon to be released soon Silk Song. Like MH, haven't played but this is awesome theme to be sure. I can feel the motivation to keep going with your fight. Sounds like a modern take on the Golden Sun music of the Game Boy Advance. I'm a sucker for anything that sounds like it would of came from there.

3rd song: Never had any interest in the DMC series, I still respect those who play it and what it means to the industry. Despite that and the opposite the MH, I'm sure I heard more rocking tunes from the series but this one is not bad. To me the orchestrated part saves it from being meh to me.

@Ithrak Utopia: 1st Song: I should really play more Sonic handheld game. I didn't start to play titles from Sonic until the 3DS. As for this song, pretty cool. If you played or listened to any of the Splatoon songs from the series, this boss theme would fit right into. The few vocals you hear sounds like something from Splatoon. (tho Splatoon have much more and I think it is made up speech for the vocals there)

2nd song: I'm gonna be honest, it took a while for me to remember this song. It wasn't until 40 secs in I was like oh. I can see to me why this wasn't memorable. Of course there's a lot more memorable song in the original X. (most of them are in Smash) Kudos not going the status quo of those more picked and popular songs from that game. It's great in what providing in context to the moment but that's all and as I said I forgot about this song.

3rd song: Oh yes, I regret not playing ARMS more hear this chilling song. I had the pleasure of hearing this when Min Min made into Smash and fell in love with it. ARMS have pretty good music and this here is not the exception.

@Doc Brown: You got me! As I said to Igenous42, I am sucker anything from GS. I hold my bias card here!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been actually looking top to bottom on my video game playlist to answer that question myself so...  

*looks again* 

THREE ONLY?! Bah. I've been a VGM listener to so long, that I now make lists about that. ... Even if I haven't updated it in a while. I plan to sometime before the middle of May.

Here's my favorite Top 50 Boss Music: (Two from each series, excluding sub-series and spin-offs, to make things fairer.)

I'll rapid fire my 50-6, to not overload the webpage.  

Sorceress's Lair from Spyro 3. I prefer her over Ripto.

Black Banquest from Castlevania: SOTN.

Shiva from Streets of Rage 4.

Know Thy Self from Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment. Shovel Knight has some amazing music!

Battle! Gym Leader Piers from Poke'mon Sword and Shield. Love that musician! 

Theme of Akuma from Ultra Street Fighter IV. He was the true final boss of SSFII Turbo. 

Nemesis' Theme from Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Just for the spookiness. 

Ratholos, King of The Skies from Monster Hunter. Best big guy.

Nitros Oxide from Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled. Take him over bigger cheater Wizpig any day.   

Come On, Again! from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga+ ... Wasn't fond of the original thanks to a vivid memory, so that's why I chose the remake. 

Decisive Battle with Magus from Chrono Trigger. Great music. Just me.  

Blood And Darkness from Bayonetta. A continuation of Red and Black. 

Theme of Rolento from Ultra Street Fighter IV. A remix of his Final Fight boss theme. 

Climatic Battle from TMNT IV: Turtles In Time. Wish it were longer. 

Boss Battle 01 from Mega Man X. The bass, but with it were longer too. 

Fortress Boss from Super Mario Bros. 3 (SSBU). One of the few of the Super Mario boss themes I remember.  

Rage Awakened from Kingdom Hearts. The versions from II Final Mix and Birth By Sleep are fine. 

Star Wolf from Star Fox Zero. Mediocre game, but the music is nice, and this song has gone really amazing treatment. 

Proteus Ridley from Metroid: Samus Returns. Any Ridley theme will do too.

Heihachi Mishima from Tekken 3. That bass!

Twin Dragons from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game. Mostly personal reasons.  

Stage Dive (N. Gin) from Crash 4: It's About Time. I love any boss that plays an instrument or sings.  

Daughter of the Dark God from Octopath Traveler. Hate the boss, but the boss music is top tier. 

The Battle of Award 42 from A Hat In Time. Love each phase! 

Phantom of Yore/Phantom's Legacy from The Messenger. Not really cheating, as it is the same boss by a mechanical use. 

Facing Ganon from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Love the mix of Yuga's and Ganon's themes.

Mirror B's Retro Theme from Poke'mon Colosseum. Those horns! And the guy is a dancer!

Boss: Noize from River City Girls. Basically Guitar Hero battle.

Tidal Rush from Splatoon 2. This is basically a strange duet with the Squid Sisters. 

Giga Bowser from Super Smash Bros. Melee. Love the snare drums or whatever they are! 

Dark Pit's Theme from Kid Icarus: Uprising. I love Greek and Roman stuff, and that guitar! 

Boss Battle Medley from the 30th Anniversary Zelda Concert. Zelda has great boss music, even if this is a cop-out! 

Dark Cloudy from Kirby: Star Allies. For nostalgic reasons.

Act 1 Boss from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. M.J. totally helped with the music. That song is proof! 

Battle! Champion Lance/Red from Poke'mon Gen 2. Iconic.  

The Other Promise from Kingdom Hearts Orchestra World Tour. Roxas' Theme is used well against Sora.  

Megalovania from Undertale. Had to include it. 

You Will Know Our Names. The high standard of VGM symphonic rock. 

I'll Face Myself -Battle- from Persona 4 Golden. It actually fits well with the theme, and it rocks.  

Throw Away Your Mask from Persona 5 Royal. It has no right being this good. Lyn's performance kills it!  

Soy Sauce For Geese -KOF IV version- from King of Fighters XIV. Like the Street Fighter songs, this one is a remix of the Fatal Fury: King of Fighters song.  

Ogre and True Ogre from Tekken 3. Nothing else in the series sounds like it thanks to its ambiance and that weird bottle thing. It also has two phases! 

Rawk Hawk Battle from Paper Mario: TTYD. Hulk Hogan-like, and this song is too amazing.  

Baby Bowser from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. This song has no right to be this killer~!

Battle On The Big Bridge from Final Fantasy V (The Black Mages.) The best joke relief character of the whole series gets a rockin' song. Can't complain, I love it. 

5. From Kirby (?): 

Spoiler

Kirby's nemesises... nemesissis... rivals. Again, I know this is cheating, but they've been part of Kirby's history for thirty years. Allow me this. The new music from The Forgotten Land is good too. 

4. From Banjo-Kazooie:

Spoiler

Grunty's theme is used a lot in this game, so it's used to perfection here. Don't blame me, blame Kirphobe.

3. From Sonic Adventure 2: 

Spoiler

The boss itself might suck... But this song is too amazing to ignore. I love this live version too. Perfection of cheesy butt-rock!

2. From Metal Gear Solid 3...:

Spoiler

It's so unapologetically James Bond, but that's what I like about it. I like this version, because it's the true The Boss fight. And this song is so climatic!

1. From one of the Final Fantasy games: 

Spoiler

As much as Dancing Mad is a fantastic beast, I came into the series thanks to VII. Everyone knows why this one gets so much attention. The orchestra and the vocals help this.

I know some songs might be better than others, but it's still my list. It's personal, not objective, so you might like some others more than my own. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams