No E3 in 2022

ESA Statement on E3 2022

Official statement linked above, but in a nutshell the ESA mentioned that due to Covid concerns there wouldn't be an in person E3 2022 which left the door open for there to be a digital event/venue.  Well, that too has now been scrubbed with the promise that they are leveraging their resources to deliver an even great experience with E3's return in 2023.

Kind of wild to see things come to this but I suppose it's understandable.  However, I'm also curious because there has been commotion about E3's relevancy in light of digital events becoming more the norm both during E3 season and outside of it.  I wonder if missing a whole year like this makes it even more challenging for E3 to re-establish itself as THE time of year for gamer engagement and announcements like it used to be. (despite it primarily, once upon a time, being a vehicle to drive partnerships and business transactions)

I've seen a few of my friends on social media being annoyed with the news but it hasn't phased me much.   I think that is also helped by Nintendo having long since established a digital event presence that I spend most of my time checking out/reading up on anyway.  Though I will miss saving a few of my time off days to use around E3 time so I can both chill out from work and enjoy a week's worth of gaming media consumption.  Technically, I can still do that, but still.

Personally, I just don't feel anything about it. Outside of Nintendo's own Direct, I'd read livetweet after the conference (usually from Nebellion, I think?) and watch at most one or two trailers as nothing else grabbed me. My gaming interests unorthodox enough--JRPGs, VNs, and life sims feel like all I play these days--that I'm not the target audience for most announcements at E3; so maybe I'm vastly underestimating E3's impact when I say it's felt like something we could have done without these past few years. And to corroborate, more and more I see developers and publishers, e.g. Sony, simply opting to their own press events on no date in particular and they don't seem worse for wear for it.

Edited by Stephen 776

I think it was put best by MVG, (Modern Vintage Gamer on YouTube) yesterday night on Spawncast, he said that E3 is not the tradeshow it used to be before it went public, now that has slowly transit to GDC. E3 wanted to have its cake and eat it too in the case with the latter adding the public scene. There were just more cons than pro as the years went on with balancing gaming industry with journalist, publishers and developers with fan of the public. Also, with information at the tip of our fingers 24/7 thanks to he advancement of the internet what used to be so much more meas somewhat less when other ppl besides the ESA can report the first reveals and such which was the excitement of ES and press conference for ppl the consumers watching these presentations.

I feel and most would agree E3 didn't die when Nintendo stopped doing press conference but when Sony left it was just inevitable and the past personal information leak and the pandemic didn't help matters. Sony really was the telltale sign that end was nigh coming for E3.

Despite all that said, will I miss E3, of course but it's not what was but also for me what could be for the future. This probably could of been prevented if the ESA preemptively took charge to make E3 more relevant to today's standard of news online and presentations but were to stuck in their ways of what appears to making them money than evolve with the times. Not saying it serves them right just could of been prevented, if they thought about the future and not how much money they can make this year.

I really hope the best for E3 future in sake in what it brought me and most over the years such joyous moment. No E3 this year is no different when we didn't had one in 2020 despite the world being in a slightly better place than then. Like I said, proper planing could of meant at least digital like last year but even that was marred by most publisher not putting their best foot forward because, they weren't ready to show anything (pandemic) or didn't care cause the writing was on the wall for them and E3 for awhile the general consumer probably couldn't see till a pandemic happened.

I still like having the big, multi-day event to congregate all the major gaming news, even if I was always mostly focused on Nintendo. It just adds some pomp and excitement to the announcements, especially whenever I could take time off work and just watch the gaming news all day long. Divvying it up with every publisher releasing their own sizzle reel of announcements on whatever day they choose just doesn't have the same impact.

I assume Nintendo will still do a Direct sometime around June but I hope they also do a Treehouse stream, even if just for one day. The Treehouse streams can be kind of cheesy but it's fun to see more of the games in a slightly more natural environment than a trailer.

Since most ppl are bring up Nintendo; no matter what happens to E3, since their exit of press conferences in 2012. I have never had the worry (to some extent) that their digital E3 events would be in doubt so to me it seem obvious not to comment on something that is always gonna happen.

I expect the digital June Direct in June or those whereabouts, along with treehouse livestream event. (the last one if possible, if they have a lot to share but it it too much to manage somehow, I will understand)

To me no one has done livestream like Nintendo with their development team like them, that's what makes special since they started doing that, I look forward to them each year. Only having the one is really makes us appreciate them and on rare occasion there's sometimes more than one per year. Sort of like game focused Directs.

19 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I still like having the big, multi-day event to congregate all the major gaming news, even if I was always mostly focused on Nintendo. It just adds some pomp and excitement to the announcements, especially whenever I could take time off work and just watch the gaming news all day long. Divvying it up with every publisher releasing their own sizzle reel of announcements on whatever day they choose just doesn't have the same impact.

I assume Nintendo will still do a Direct sometime around June but I hope they also do a Treehouse stream, even if just for one day. The Treehouse streams can be kind of cheesy but it's fun to see more of the games in a slightly more natural environment than a trailer.

This is how it was for me, too.  Though I'm mainly there for Nintendo it was still nice to just have the buzz of so many things going on and gaming communities just light up for a whole week talking about everything.  I didn't even think of Treehouse streaming though, hopefully they still do that for their games this year despite lack of an actual E3 venue.  I know COVID is still a thing but I wonder when they'll get back to do doing events at Nintendo World.

23 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I think it was put best by MVG, (Modern Vintage Gamer on YouTube) yesterday night on Spawncast, he said that E3 is not the tradeshow it used to be before it went public, now that has slowly transit to GDC. E3 wanted to have its cake and eat it too in the case with the latter adding the public scene. There were just more cons than pro as the years went on with balancing gaming industry with journalist, publishers and developers with fan of the public. Also, with information at the tip of our fingers 24/7 thanks to he advancement of the internet what used to be so much more meas somewhat less when other ppl besides the ESA can report the first reveals and such which was the excitement of ES and press conference for ppl the consumers watching these presentations.

I feel and most would agree E3 didn't die when Nintendo stopped doing press conference but when Sony left it was just inevitable and the past personal information leak and the pandemic didn't help matters. Sony really was the telltale sign that end was nigh coming for E3.

Despite all that said, will I miss E3, of course but it's not what was but also for me what could be for the future. This probably could of been prevented if the ESA preemptively took charge to make E3 more relevant to today's standard of news online and presentations but were to stuck in their ways of what appears to making them money than evolve with the times. Not saying it serves them right just could of been prevented, if they thought about the future and not how much money they can make this year.

I really hope the best for E3 future in sake in what it brought me and most over the years such joyous moment. No E3 this year is no different when we didn't had one in 2020 despite the world being in a slightly better place than then. Like I said, proper planing could of meant at least digital like last year but even that was marred by most publisher not putting their best foot forward because, they weren't ready to show anything (pandemic) or didn't care cause the writing was on the wall for them and E3 for awhile the general consumer probably couldn't see till a pandemic happened.

E3 as primarily a place for business to be conducted went by the wayside a long time ago, I feel.  I mean, granted, deals and decisions were still being made but it has been a long time since that seemed to be the focus.  Remember the days of each company spending up to 20 minutes talking about sell through, market performance and future potential in and out of game announcements (no disrespect intended Howard Lincoln :P)?  More often than not, that stuff is now saved for press releases or creatively interwoven into talk about upcoming hits or something of that nature.

But yeah, as the internet and social media became more widespread it definitely became a question of what was more beneficial I think.  Spend gobs of money to prep a snazzy booth at the convention, or have your own small event or digital stage where you have control over expenditure, content and messaging?  Some publishers slowly were already creeping that way and that's why I wonder what E3 next year will be like.  Will the landscape have already shifted too much to really make much of that like we used to or will big publishers be enticed to be part of that again?

On 4/3/2022 at 6:24 PM, Stephen 776 said:

Personally, I just don't feel anything about it. Outside of Nintendo's own Direct, I'd read livetweet after the conference (usually from Nebellion, I think?) and watch at most one or two trailers as nothing else grabbed me. My gaming interests unorthodox enough--JRPGs, VNs, and life sims feel like all I play these days--that I'm not the target audience for most announcements at E3; so maybe I'm vastly underestimating E3's impact when I say it's felt like something we could have done without these past few years. And to corroborate, more and more I see developers and publishers, e.g. Sony, simply opting to their own press events on no date in particular and they don't seem worse for wear for it.

Other than the usual big publishers that tend to have JRPGs and VNs there are some smaller developers that have had a presence around E3 time to talk a bit about their stuff.  It's not like they make much in the way of headlines there's still a glimmer of a spark there for the genres you gravitate to. ;)

I'm optimist first and realist second. Yes, it can be a contradictory at times when it comes to hope but I often don't think of most things in black and white but beyond that in spite of hope. Meaning, I gotta be real with what I hope for, what I wish for. (I can thank the way think so analytically but things so much to a degree that it can be down right draining but the more it is there more I accept it and live with this duality)

What I am basically saying that I wish ESA and all the best as I said before for E3 next year but I won't be disappointed if it cannot measure up to the past or overcome what the information highway have made the event sort of irrelevant. Those best wishes as I said are based on nostalgia of E3 past of joyous moments. Whether I found out about E3 8 years ago or its inception, I do not think my thoughts on E3 returning to glory would change, at the end of the end day this is all about video games and if I can learn more about upcoming titles I will always stayed tuned to E3, one way or another.