Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon coming to Wii U

Chrom

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

An item that promotes Pegasus Knights into Falcoknights instead of Wyvern Knights.

That's literally it.

Also Brave weapons and other rare things, but the Elysian Whip is the big one.

Anyway it's too bad I don't care anymore. Would have loved this a year ago.

9 hours ago, The Krazy One said:

I honestly thought it was out already. I'm also surprised at the reception it's getting even though people bring up it's bad rep of being a poor remake for some reason. :v

I still have the original DS version so I'm good.

Yeah, why is that? I hear Shadow Dragon is supposedly awful from numerous people but they don't explain why. I'm not familiar with the Fire Emblem series, the only title I ever played was The Sacred Stones for Game Boy Advance. I'm assuming they didn't agree with some of the changes they did?

There are two main problems with Shadow Dragon. One is an actual problem, the other is a matter of opinion.

The big thing is that the Gaiden chapters are basically retarded. There exists a special handful of chapters that provide players who lost too many characters with new characters and extra experience. This mechanic is extremely unpopular, because it locks entire characters behind doing badly.

The other thing is just the fact that it's a very conservative remake of a Famicom game. It's actually pretty solid by that standard, but people used to the characterization-heavy features of more recent games rightfully found it to be pretty simplistic in comparison. The story is similarly basic, although ironically the writing is some of the series' best. It's also nothing impressive visually, with both its portraits and battle models being considered ugly by the series' standards.

The key to enjoying Shadow Dragon is to accept that you're playing a Famicom game with more polish. That's pretty much it. Also, making sure you play New Mystery of the Emblem afterward helps make the world stand out a lot more. 

It's certainly not awful -- just rather underwhelming and dated compared to basically every game around it.

Edited by Iridium

Shadow Dragon is a remake of the original Fire Emblem on Famicom, and it's very loyal to that first game. SD is a much simpler experience compared to every Fire Emblem we've gotten, lacking certain features (supports, for instance) and making little effort to expand on the story. Furthermore, it's ugly as hell, and some hate that it's impossible to gain every character.

Personally, I've come to appreciate Shadow Dragon in the years since release. It's the New SMB of the Fire Emblem series. More importantly, it's a hell of a lot better than the game it remade. The original Fire Emblem aged horribly.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

Edited by Namevah

That's good news. Shadow Dragon is one of the harder to find Fire Emblems, in my experience. Personally, it's the only translated Fire Emblem I haven't played. Buuuut I found a complete physical copy for cheaps not too long ago, so I'm good. :P Still, it's good that they're beginning to bring out some of the rarer DS games for digital release. Maybe one day they'll port the Tellius saga. Though if they're going to do Game Cube VC, they probably won't introduce it until the Switch.