RUMOR: Switch will support Gamecube VC

5 minutes ago, Carl321 said:

Didn't they say we were getting that for the Wii U?

Will believe it when I see it.

It never was a possibility because of the digital triggers on the Wii U; GameCube used analog triggers, and with the Wii U not using them, it was never likely. Only through homebrew does the Wii U play GCN games. 

58 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

Ah yes. Got a Wii 10 years ago because of the GameCube compatibility.

Hope this happens.

and 480p GC support.... can't forget that one!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/12/rumour_gamecube_virtual_console_coming_to_nintendo_switch

Looks like they picked up on it too.

Game rumors

Edited by purple_beard

Wouldn't that be nice? But that depends entirely on the triggers, doesn't it. It's almost a guarantee if they're there, and almost impossible if they're not.

In spite of that, this is probably the easiest claim you could make since it's something everyone wants to hear that isn't too outrageous. 

2 hours ago, Isotope said:

It never was a possibility because of the digital triggers on the Wii U; GameCube used analog triggers, and with the Wii U not using them, it was never likely. Only through homebrew does the Wii U play GCN games. 

It was always a possibility. All they had to do was release a controller adapter so that GameCube controllers could be used on a Wii U.

...Oh, wait...!

I would surprised to see this happen. For all the effort it requires, Nintendo probably isn't seeing a profit from Virtual Console. And Nintendo has always been shy of the Gamecube in it's history. And if Dolphin is any indication, Gamecube emulation is no easy feat.

But many games are desperate to leave the Gamecube finally. Unlike the PS2 and Xbox, many of the Gamecube's best games are still stuck to the system.

Ugh...I hate this idea. Mostly because it indicates a continuation of the Virtual Console on the Switch. Considering the existence of the Wii U, this is really inefficient. I get it: the Wii U is a bomb as a flagship, but I honestly do not think it would be that hard to rebrand the system as a retro-centric console, introduce an improved emulator via firmware update, drop the price accordingly, and call it a day. Regarded as anything but nostalgia pandering (which is not bad in itself), the NES Mini is not only under-produced, but unnecessary.

I think this is amazing. What would be even more amazing is if Nintendo made it possible to bring all the current Virtual Consoles games from the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS over to the Switch. The library of games would be huge. Day one, there would be so many games to play on the Switch. It would be incredible. 

That would mean that all Nintendo console (portable - excluding the 3DS) (console - excluding the Wii U) games would be avaiable to play on the Switch. As mentioned before, if they added the other games, we would have consoles such as the NeoGeo, most SEGA consoles and even the TurboGrafx. 

That is a lot of games.

Edited by Illus
3 hours ago, Schmengland said:

It was always a possibility. All they had to do was release a controller adapter so that GameCube controllers could be used on a Wii U.

...Oh, wait...!

In regards to just using the GCN Adapter, then yes, it's possible, but it's obviously not that simple.

The reason NES, SNES, N64, etc. VC works because the controller the system comes with (the Gamepad) works with it right out of the box. With GCN games, you'd have to buy the adapter for about $20, then buy a controller (if you don't have one lying around from the initial GCN release and/or Smash bros. Wii U.) for roughly $30. Had the Gamepad initially come with analog triggers, then we would have probably some semblance of a GCN VC on the Wii U, but because some games are dependent on those triggers for gameplay purposes (Super Mario Sunshine and F-Zero GX come to mind, it was doomed before it was even possible.

Edited by Isotope

If they do GCN Games on the VC, They would need to re release games like Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, They would have to either forgo ever re releasing the original Wind Waker on there due to the Game Boy Advance and they'd have to re release Four Swords Adventures in place of the original Wind Waker too. I can see them re releasing Mario Kart Double Dash without any issues. Also the Sonic Mega Collection could see a re release too.

There are so many possible GCN Games that they could re release too. I do hope we see other games that they didn't re release already too. Such as the NES Batman, Tetris Attack for the SNES even if it were the SNES Satellaview Satellite Modem version called BS Yoshi's Panepon if they had to change the name. So many possible games that the VC could still see if they tried their best to do so.