Political Containment Thread

• 2 months later...

So in other news:

Trump held a rally in Orlando for his 2020 run.  Among many other elements of absolute BS, he claimed that if he were elected again he would cure cancer and aids, probably in an effort to one-up Biden who said he would push to cure cancer if he were to be elected.

Also claiming that mass deportation of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. will take place starting next week.

Also claims "both sides" to the Central Park Five case, refuses to back down from the belief that they should have gotten the death penalty...yes, this is after it was proven they did not commit the crime.

And his cohort McConnell claims reparations are no longer a talking point because, among other things,  America once elected a black president.

To unpack the "cure cancer" comment a bit, cancer is not just one disease. It's more than 200 diseases, more than 100 of which effect humans. There are major differences between Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, breast cancer, lung cancer and melanoma. 

While it's not a cure, I'd suggest stepping back from reactionary health care to preventative health care. Because while we don't have that cure for cancer, we know what causes cancer. Things like tobacco use, obesity and alcoholism- all know causes of cancer- are much easier to treat than the cancer itself. Another obvious step is reducing exposure to carcinogens, such as asbestos, which aren't banned in the US yet.

There is also the matter of Glyphosate, a chemical seen in many weed-killers (most notably Roundup), which Monsanto states is not carcinogenic but the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer said is probably carcinogenic to humans. Three court cases have gone to trial in this matter, and in all three cases, the judges & juries have ruled against Monsanto. In May, a California jury ordered Monsanto to pay $2 billion in punitive and compensatory damage to a married couple, both of who developed non-Hodgkin lymphoma after years of usage and exposure to Roundup products. The EPA stated glyphosate was safe in April, so I don't anticipate Trump actually doing anything here. 

And, of course, we're talking about Trump here, who speaks frequently about his support for coal. The air pollution from coal-fired power plants is, of course, linked with cancer. 

There are steps that can be taken, but given this administration's history, I don't see them as the ones to do it. 

Thought you guys might want to check this out:  https://twitter.com/Lights4Liberty

https://www.lightsforliberty.org/

Here's a link to who it's sponsored by:  https://www.lightsforliberty.org/sponsors

A bit about them:

Lights for Liberty seeks to create this event in solidarity and allyship with communities most impacted by the abuse of our immigration system. We seek to work in solidarity with grassroots organizations both new and historic, those who are well-funded and on shoe-string budgets. We are moved to mobilize with anyone: moms, dads, and people of moral conscience who cannot stand to see families and communities destroyed. Simply put, our country is at a tipping point.

On July 12th, outraged people from around the country will shine a light on the horrific abuses of the Trump administration in human detention camps.

Here's one of the sponsors:

Elizabeth C. McLaughlin‏ @ECMcLaughlin
MASS MOBILIZATION JULY 12th "Lights for Liberty: A Nationwide Vigil to End Human Detention Camps" Please share this far and wide. @Lights4Liberty #DontLookAway #EndTrumpsConcentrationCamps

https://twitter.com/ECMcLaughlin/status/1141308943701905409

https://www.dhillonlaw.com/blog/news/google-damore/recapping-james-damore-case-google/

So found out this case while looking around for a case about employee discrimination for my business law class. 

Hard to tell if a case can be won for Google discriminating because a guy expressed (very poorly by the way) he was conservative. Doesn't help him with his "sexist" remark; though I can't read the lines if it was or not since I'm ignorant on that matter. Also hard to really tell about this discrimination case because of the California Labor Code; Sections 1101 and 1102 has different ways to tackle cases based on political beliefs. 

It's going to be interesting how this one will turn out. 

Edited by Kirbymeister2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe I’m feeling a little pessimistic, and have a case of deja vu. Democratic infighting, sore losers vote Trump, and by some miracle, Trump wins and we go through another four years of melodrama. I learn the truth of people and places I used to like but they support the jerk. I was so much excited last time, but with the current climate as is, things look bleak. It feels like even if I vote, I know beforehand they’ll maybe lose. I still have some hope, but it’s like a little Navi shouting at me that it will get better. Who knows.

59 minutes ago, XLW said:

Maybe I’m feeling a little pessimistic, and have a case of deja vu. Democratic infighting, sore losers vote Trump, and by some miracle, Trump wins and we go through another four years of melodrama. I learn the truth of people and places I used to like but they support the jerk. I was so much excited last time, but with the current climate as is, things look bleak. It feels like even if I vote, I know beforehand they’ll maybe lose. I still have some hope, but it’s like a little Navi shouting at me that it will get better. Who knows.

There's "democratic infighting" because the US tries to put racist neocons like Biden, trendy social democrats, and the entire left side of the political spectrum under the same label, thinking we'll all be happy as long as Orange Man™ leaves office. You want Trump out of office, vote for somebody in the primaries who has a fucking spine.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

@Pichi  Only thing is, this is no laughing matter. This setup they want could affect a whole lot of people.

Sure but a bit more worried about human rights abuses more than them trying likely-to-fail plans to give fascists more lenience on social media because they live in bizarro-land where they haven't overrun every major site. They aren't gonna literally shut websites down. That'd defeat the entire purpose.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so here is my dilemma/understanding of political correctness: 

The obvious things, like shaming, sexism, homophobia, all that stuff, has been and always will be a part of history. It’s something, because I’m part of the majority, will be always aware of and ashamed to be a part of, because I refuse to associate with my own people who tolerate that hatred. It outright disgusts me. Now, as much I refuse to be that person, I acknowledge that I simply can’t WISH it away, REMOVE it away, DELETE it, or DENY it. History is history, and the texts, movies, music, literature, plays, and so on represent a certain past or certain way we used to be.

I’ve come to grips with this problem while doing Big River and doing spotlight for Peter Pan. While I love Big River, because of how it is relevant to today’s news and so close we’ve come from back then, I hate Peter Pan because of the ‘Indian’ situation. It makes the ‘Indians out to be stupid with their odd English’. Sure, I know that I’ve grown up to accept that this would never fly, because I’ve met some cool Native Americans in my life, and that this musical was made when that kind of tolerance wasn’t as big or groundbreaking. It’s a part of the past, and I have to eventually let go of my inner demons. Some of these plays were made when modern sensibilities weren’t in question, and I’ll have to brave whenever I eventually do Othello. And this is especially a problem with parody and comedy, because the jokes sometimes are at the expense at another group. Springtime for Hitler is a huge highlight, because even though it’s a fun song, it makes fun of Germans. The problem is that not everyone will like it. Will German and Nazi descendants be okay to laugh at how odd their ancestors were? Everyone’s A Little Bit Racist is a song I used to like from Avenue Q, because it makes a bold move of saying there’s a quality of how much a racist we can be, and whites aren’t the only ones exempt from being racists, but I’m not sure if it currently works in our current timeline. Heck, one of my 

friends played that one restaurant owner in the Christmas Story musical, but they were okay with that role, despite it being culturally insensitive. (Chinese man playing Chinese stereotype; that’s something I can’t quite fathom). How and where do we draw that line? 

And maybe that’s why I didn’t get Key and Peele at first. Two African Americans were making jabs at stereotypes the majority came up with. I don’t know how to react to that, since I’m ashamed we perceived African Americans that way, and laughing at the jokes would make me feel like a jerk, because that would reinforce that stereotype? It’s just confusing. 

But, I got lucky knowing that what we did in the past was unacceptable. A child with a different background might think that all they see, hear, and read is the truth. These things discuss about how we used to be, but CAN be misrepresented. With a multiple amount of media available, and the source of information told about by different influences, what will our next generations think? What I think that could be unacceptable could be acceptable for another person. The information, matters, and stuff we receive isn’t inherently evil, but they way we INTERPRET it is cautionary and dangerous. It’s like that song by CSN. Censorship and the like is harmful, but the real problem is trying to give our future not only hope, but the right way to accept other human beings. Until we find some common ground, then we as a humanity will suffer. 

I’m not a phobist or an ist, but our society constantly double-edges itself each day. History is history, but its use and means for people is something that scares me.