Political Containment Thread

Here’s a different way to look at the situation:

lets say for a minute Clinton won.  Most likely she would have done so by winning some combination of the 4 states that barely went against her (Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania).  Her winning might have been enough to swing the Wisconsin and Pennsylvania Senate races, giving Democrats 50 seats and the majority via tiebreaker (I think Rubio in FL would’ve won even if Clinton won FL in the presidential).  Maybe the national house vote would’ve been better by about 2%, netting the democrats 5-10 more seats but well short of a majority there.  

In 2017-2018, Democrats would be stymied on their big priorities due to their inability to win the House majority, and thusly base turnout in 2018 would have been poor.  Meanwhile the pro-Trump populist wing of the GOP would be super charged up to deliver a referendum on Clinton.  The 2018 elections would likely gone completely opposite of reality, with republicans growing their House majority, winning a bunch of the governorships they lost in reality (most notably WI, CT, NV, etc), and would have done way, WAY better in the Senate...where Democrats who won easily in reality, like Sherrod Brown in OH and Tammy Baldwin in WI, probably would have lost, and other names like Krysten Sinema in AZ, Jon Tester in MT, and Joe Manchin in WV, would’ve gotten creamed.  Republicans would likely have close to the 60 seats needed for a Senate supermajority to override Clinton’s vetoes.

2016 was painful for the Democrats, but you can easily make the argument that Trump’s victory caused the party to be much better off today.  

Quick election overtime update:

House stands at 228-198-9 in favor of democrats.  ME-2, NJ-3, NY-22, NY-27, GA-7, TX-23, UT-4, CA-39, and CA-45 are the districts still outstanding.  At this point it looks like democrats will win NJ-3 and CA-45, the GOP will win NY-27 and TX-23, with the other 5 districts less certain. 

Senate stands at 47-51-2 in favor of republicans.  Florida is in a recount, while Mississippi will hold a runoff on Nov 27 after nobody got 50% of the vote on Nov 6. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

This doesn't affect the US so what's the problem here? Not to be stupid but what gives?

Just to show support for those who are going through it. That we're against that article as well. A lot of people over in Europe and what not would be affected by it. The video I linked to goes into it with far better detail.

Edited by Doc Brown
Just now, Doc Brown said:

Just to show support for those who are going through it. That we're against that article as well. A lot of people over in Europe and what not would be affected by it. The video I linked to goes into it with far better detail.

Fair enough. We should stand in solidarity with our Internet friends across the pond in these dire times.

52 minutes ago, XLW said:

Because “we” COULD follow by example. And judging how things are going in the US in terms of internet privacy.... It COULD cause a chain across the world. This whole thing is being heard on the internet, surely OUR politicians might catch wind of it. 

Don’t think we aren’t affected by stuff changing.

Well said. Exactly. It's not a good path that they're going down with that.

• 1 month later...

Just came across some news that Michael Cohen will be publicly testifying before Congress in a few weeks:

"In a statement to CNN, Cohen said he agreed to testify "in furtherance of my commitment to cooperate and provide the American people with answers."

"I look forward to having the privilege of being afforded a platform with which to give a full and credible account of the events which have transpired," Cohen said.

Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, to testify publicly before Congress