Political Containment Thread

This makes me sick. I'm not surprised though.

http://reverepress.com/news/republican-amendment-defund-muellers-investigation-trumps-russia-ties/

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/348343-gop-lawmaker-proposes-amendment-that-would-stop-funding-for-special-counsel?rnd=1503960236

Said amendment: http://amendments-rules.house.gov/amendments/DESANT_055_xml824171651535153.pdf

Sources: revere press and the hill and amendments-rules.house.gov

Fuck all of them. They're traitors, one and all.

Edited by Doc Brown

we can harp on obama's birth certificate for nearly a decade, but we're suddenly flying too close to the sun after half a year of an investigation involving possible treason because republicans know that there's going to be blood on their hands if this yields anything

fucking abhorrent

On 9/5/2017 at 6:19 PM, Schmengland said:

There's this weird part in that article where Clinton complains about Sanders use of innuendo, only to use her own via the term 'Bernie Bros,' language that inelegantly dismisses of all of the women who supported Bernie's campaign.

This bizarre anti-women rhetoric came from Clinton and her supporters on a handful of occasions- perhaps most notably on Real Time with Bill Maher episode when Gloria Steinem dismissed Bernie's female supporters by stating "And, when you’re young, you’re thinking, where are the boys? The boys are with Bernie."

It remains really strange to see: just because Trump uses sexist language doesn't mean you have to too.

It's too late to do anything about it now. All I can do is wonder if it cost her, as Clinton did end up losing white women when the general election rolled around. Perhaps treating the Bernie Bros as Bernie Brothers and Sisters in Arms would have changed that.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/steve-bannon-gop-establishment-trying-to-nullify-the-2016-election/vi-AArtN3s?ocid=spartanntp

As I said to someone else yesterday:

This man and his ideology are amongst the scariest things in this country right now...and he has influence. But, the way I see it, if he declares war on the Republican establishment like he says and ends up splintering the right, perhaps they'll eat each other alive. That'd be nice to see.

Edited by Schmengland

Pewdiepie called somebody a nigger during his stream.  I can't even really be upset anymore, it's more of a "Well, there it is" sort of moment.  Cue discussions of what defines racism on Twitter and social media, and how Youtube DMCA policy will probably get worse again after his whole Nazi fiasco started the downhill slide in the first place.

People like arguing semantics a lot behind how "using ______ doesn't make you racist/homophobic", which I don't necessarily understand.  Just because you might have the privilege to ignore the racist or controversial connotations behind the word doesn't mean they magically disappear if you use the word in whatever context you please.

I went ahead and looked up the stream in question.

Was I wrong to hope that opinion on the matter would at least be split? I think I was, because I was dismayed (though not too surprised) to find the usual, all-too-pervasive peanut gallery making the usual claims:

• "Either everybody gets to say it or nobody does."/"Why do black people get sole discretion yadda yadda yadda?"
  • "I'm black/Hispanic/some other minority and I don't find this offensive."
  • "It was a slip-up; he clearly apologised! Let's just move on."
  • "It doesn't fucking matter."

I saw maybe one person musing, "You don't really slip up like that if you're not saying it often off-camera." Maybe another catching the disingenuousness of his, "Oh, sorry, but--!"

It's basically fucking Phil Anselmo all over again. As it is, every time.

Is it just where we're at as a society right now with the current racial tension and so-called free speech issues, or is there also something seriously wrong with the Youtube celebrity culture that stunts these people's understanding of how comedy and language works? I think he apologized for the previous controversy a couple times, but he still clearly doesn't get it. And it seems like that's partially due to living in a weird bubble, as well as being ignorant to the fundamentals of how to actually be funny. He hasn't evolved past the level of sophistication of one of his preteen fans, i.e. saying a shocking word = funny. This must be the long term effect of internet stardom where you can find your audience without any real struggle or having to develop your skills.

I'm just assuming at this point that it was an attempt to be funny, and not an honest expression of anger or something. That would be even scarier.

13 minutes ago, Young P said:

snip

It's where we are as a society right now--not that YouTube celebrity culture isn't shit by itself.

Observe.

In this case, the accused are still only just that: accused. But, y'know, before we get through that, it's all about how some bitch wants a quick buck, or about some SJW's being angry at everybody for "no reason". And there's always some apologetic statement about whether or not these are competent musicians, because, y'know, that's...important.

It's everywhere, dude.

Edited by Schmengland
6 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

It's where we are as a society right now--not that YouTube celebrity culture isn't shit by itself.

Observe.

In this case, the accused are still only just that: accused. But, y'know, it's all about how some bitch wants a quick buck, or about some SJW's being angry at everybody for "no reason".

It's everywhere, dude.

I agree, this kind of behavior is everywhere. Especially in a situation where women/minorities/SJWs can be blamed for something. It just boggles my mind that the same guy who got in hot water earlier this year for doing something offensive, and then apologized, would go and do it again. This is the kind of thing that loses sponsorships and damages a reputation. Even if the guy is a virulent racist at heart, I can't help thinking he'd learn to not say the N word if he were working in an environment where he was beholden to audience feedback instead of just shouting into a void and getting free attention from millions of young viewers. Up until recently, people at that level of fame were not so tone deaf. (Could this be related to the fact that most of Trump's most famous supporters are C-list celebs at best? That might be a reach.)

7 minutes ago, Young P said:

Even if the guy is a virulent racist at heart, I can't help thinking he'd learn to not say the N word if he were working in an environment where he was beholden to audience feedback instead of just shouting into a void and getting free attention from millions of young viewers.

You just described the current socio-political climate and its gimp in one sentence.