Political Containment Thread

Might as well post Trump's response, where he refers to this incident -- where protesters were run over and killed by a white supremacist -- as a "display of hatred, bigotry, and violence on many sides." And with that, my soul is officially dead. I'm not sure what else to say.

4 minutes ago, Schmengland said:

Repeated it for emphasis, even.

If it's any consolation, both sides of the isle balked at this. Probably not, though.

At this point it counts as a consolation that some Republicans aren't openly supporting white supremacists. The message was still received loud and clear, though.

When things like this happen, I see a lot of people saying things like "this isn't America," a statement I'm sure is made out of love, but also ignorance. As many, many people on various social media and news sites have pointed out - the sad reality is that this isn't true. The uncomfortable truth that many in privilege have to acknowledge is that this not only is, but always has been, America. We don't exactly have a history of treating anyone who isn't a white, Christian, cis man with respect. Saying things like this isn't what America stands for is disingenuous. It displays, quite well, the ignorance that allows for tragedies and deaths like in Charlottesville to happen.

Another thing, slightly different, but the same is the phrase "this isn't my America" or "this isn't the America I believe in." And maybe, I dunno, that's exactly the problem? Once again, this is said mainly by people with privilege. It's really convenient to say that this isn't reality when you don't have to experience that reality every day of your life. This is really obvious when you see the divide on the perspective people have on this phrase. White people responding mostly with "Yeah, I agree! #thisisnotUS" while so many POC are saying "Uh, yeah, this kind of is what America is."

One argument being made on Twitter that I have to say I agree with is that we should try to stop using Nazi to refer o these people. Not because they aren't Nazis, but because the term just doesn't really carry enough weight in America to make it personal. Nazi is too foreign. It makes it seem like the hate these people carry isn't America's own fault, like someone else brought it over and put it into people. We need to encourage far more introspection into our own country and how we have allowed hate to bloom in our own back yard. And front yard. And in the house.

Every time he opens his mouth, I think "this is the worst thing he's said yet. This is rock bottom." And then the next thing he says just blows the previous thing out of the water. How many more times can we go through this before he's self-identifying as a Nazi?

2 hours ago, LimeCatMaster said:

Trump went from "many sides" to "well I guess white supremacy is bad, yeah" back to "but seriously fuck the left" in less than a week. What a guy.

Yup, he's now laying the blame on the "alt-left," which a la "fake news" is him taking a liberal talking point and adopting it for his right-wing usage.

This is something the Republican Party has done before (see how the Affordable Care Act got nicknamed Obamacare), but Trump has proven to be good at this sort of branding. He's good at mobilizing his base and getting them to repeat Trump's talking points. We saw this in the primaries (Little Marco), the election (Hillary's emails) to his time in office (fake news).