Political Containment Thread

CNN - Trump threatens shutdown over wall, immigration

"I would be willing to 'shut down' government if the Democrats do not give us the votes for Border Security, which includes the Wall! Must get rid of Lottery, Catch & Release etc. and finally go to system of Immigration based on MERIT! We need great people coming into our Country!"

So yeah, unless Democrats yield to his dream of funding the wall the plan is to allow a government shut down. Oh, he talks about other additives regarding immigration policy but the wall is the penultimate prize he's aiming for and has been aiming for since even before his campaigning.  But I suppose it can get a bit frustrating being denied time and again and seeing the promise of Mexico paying for it going up in smoke.  It just boggles my mind the toddler minded man we have leading our country.  I'm actually curious at just how detailed their immigration policy reforms are when you take into account the actions his administration has taken since last year.  I almost feel like they fight tooth and nail over something they haven't fully elaborated upon and conveyed to the public yet it's somehow something that absolutely needs to happen.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious to see where all of this goes.  While I doubt it will force the "dream" of impeachment hearings against Trump I do hope it removes all doubt about his being implicated in a lot of these activities. I'm a fan of seeing how easily he allows himself to be baited into twitter rants that only further undermine him and his administration and yet he's too dumb to realize it.

Following the Trump tide was too emotional lmao I had to stop a long time ago. Ain't really trying to go back to all that anxiety over something I can't control in the slightest. Not even gonna start hopin' that this gets him in deep shit again. I only keep an eye on local politics since that's all I could reasonably be a part of anyway

Edited by Pichi

Well, John McCain has... passed away. 

Although I admit I didn’t vote for him in 2008, in different circumstances, I could have voted for him... a million times over our current president. At least he knew what he was doing. He had experience. Seemed like a much more tolerable guy. It would have been interesting to see how he would have gone against Bernie or Hillary. 

As for the delegate thing... *shrugs* I would go and vote for whoever is our Democratic nominee than... HIM. If Hillary lost the primaries a few years ago, I wouldn’t have minded voting for Bernie. But, if they came to the call... maybe Kamala. (I got her name right, right? Californian... senator I think.)

• 2 weeks later...

WTF.

House Republicans are chewing over a proposal to hold members accountable for not voting along party lines or for  signing discharge petitions — two acts of rebellion that GOP leadership has had to grapple with this year.

Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.) pitched the idea on Tuesday to the Republican Steering Committee, where it received a warm reception, but the panel decided to hold off on voting on the resolution until after the midterm elections, according to two GOP lawmakers who were present and a Republican source.

Source:  http://thehill.com/homenews/house/405301-republicans-mull-new-punishments-for-dissident-lawmakers

This would be a dictatorship/fascism. They're pulling a coup big time. The red lights are blinking and democracy is in even bigger trouble with this.

Wow. I'm not surprised by these fuckers. They're like Umbridge/Voldemort wrapped into one. They want to be able to get away with whatever they want to and not have to suffer any consequences. Fuck them. It says a lot when they want to force people in their party to vote their way or the highway.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • 2 weeks later...

FCC is being sued for hiding evidence of Russian role in ending Net Neutrality:  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fcc-shielding-evidence-of-russian-role-in-killing-net-neutraility-lawsuit_us_5ba72892e4b0375f8f9db029

Source:  huffington post

So I guess A shit pie is in deep shit then? awesome; Good. I hope that the FCC loses bigly in this suit.

Trump's state department lacking money to help fight against Russian propaganda/ fake news.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/09/21/trump-administration-lacks-resources-fight-russian-fake-news/1292089002/

Source:  usa today

Why am I not surprised? They don't want to have enough there to be able for anyone there to do their jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

Kavanaugh confirmed to the supreme court, I see.

I won't say anything about whether or not he's actually guilty of what he was accused of but the response, the FBI investigation and the way the White House essentially worked to cut it off at the kneecaps and the sense that this whole debacle will have an adverse effect on victims of sexual harassment and assault coming forward in the future, just a terrible deal all around. -_-

At first with this Kavanaugh thing I was still in this naive mindset of "wow I can't believe they can't even find a scotus nominee who doesn't have assault allegations over him. This is pathetic." Now of course I realize, it's not that they couldn't find a non-rapist. They chose him because he's a rapist. That's why they like him. the GOP is pro-rape. Why has it taken so long for that to sink in for me, and why are some of them still not saying it out loud? Who do they think they're fooling at this point? Trump's certainly not playing games, he's been clear about it from the beginning. He loves rape, he loves being a rapist, he loves fellow rapists, and he doesn't care who knows it. And he's not on the fringe, he's the head of the fucking party.

When are they going to stop using the "innocent until proven guilty" defense in situations where it's not applicable? It's the most disingenuous horseshit I've ever seen. I assume they know allegations are not automatically a criminal case, and that this rapist was not actually on trial. He was being considered for a job. The only "punishment" that was ever on the table was NOT getting the job. Or the entitlement complex is so strong that this Ivy league Wasp not getting to have the highest job in his field and get to exercise his will over a powerless nation constitutes a punishment. Usually in this situation it's supposed to be more like "guilty until proven innocent," but fuck that, because in America, the standards become LOWER the more power your prospective job wields. Once you've paid your dues by being rich and privileged, background checks go out the window. You can hurt whomever you want and it does not matter. You already made it. You cannot be stopped.

I get your anger but I think it's a bit much to assume they wanted a rapist and chose him because they like rapists.  Not that the alternative is any better in that finding out about these allegations after the fact in no way deters member of the party or supporters of those within the party.  At this point, I think in many ways some decisions are made simply because it's antithetical to what democrats want, morals and "party of family values" aside. The Kavanaugh situation, if it were found officially that he sexually assaulted anyone, I bet it would be a hard sell to republican senators to refuse to confirm him to the seat and I'm pretty confident in stating that many conservatives wouldn't care either, they would still argue that it was a smear campaign that placed an innocent man in a bad spot.

I think I became most fed up with the case when I started seeing comments about how his accusers shouldn't have been at a place where these things were happening as if their presence at a party validated the risk of being assaulted.  It's about as bad as people who argue that if women don't want to be treated as a sex objects then they should dress "appropriately". Or memes about how American families now have to worry about their young boys growing up and being falsely accused of sexual assault and having their lives ruined.  A pretty fun spin on the parents of young black boys having to worry about the safety of their children. But considering how the Black Lives Matter mantra was co-opted into All Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter I'm not surprised that conservative pundits don't even understand the weight of the original message as they sought to make it their own so to speak.

It gets said a lot but best thing to do is get out there and vote and if you can get your friends and family to as well.  Our country is being led by a party that essentially hand waved Trump straight up disrespecting military families and veterans but lost their collective minds that one time Obama didn't salute a Marine when he boarded Marine One.  A random statement to be sure but just think about all the subject matter and situations as of note the past few years in which this same hypocritical standard applies. It's pretty telling.

Here is a an article from the Minnesota Law Review by Brett Kavanaugh from 2012. It's a long one, so I'll highlight the passage that has been making the rounds:

From Kavanaugh:

"In particular, Congress might consider a law exempting a President—while in office—from criminal prosecution and investigation, including from questioning by criminal prosecutors or  defense  counsel.  Criminal  investigations  targeted  at  or  revolving  around  a  President  are inevitably  politicized  by  both their  supporters  and  critics.  As  I  have  written  before,  “no Attorney General or special counsel will have the necessary credibility to avoid the inevitable charges that he is politically motivated— whether   in   favor   of   the   President   or   against   him, depending  on  the  individual  leading  the  investigation  and  its results.” The  indictment  and  trial  of  a  sitting  President, moreover,  would  cripple  the  federal  government,  rendering  it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest,  especially  in  times  of  financial  or  national  security  crisis."

Kavanaugh's nomination is about Trump finding the judge who says Presidents cannot be indicted. It's another attempt to block the Mueller investigation.

Trump managed to find the judge who agrees with Richard Nixon; "When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal."

The whole family is trash. (Drumpf/Trump)

President Trump participated in dubious tax schemes during the 1990s, including instances of outright fraud, that greatly increased the fortune he received from his parents, an investigation by The New York Times has found.

Mr. Trump won the presidency proclaiming himself a self-made billionaire, and he has long insisted that his father, the legendary New York City builder Fred C. Trump, provided almost no financial help.

But The Times’s investigation, based on a vast trove of confidential tax returns and financial records, reveals that Mr. Trump received the equivalent today of at least $413 million from his father’s real estate empire, starting when he was a toddler and continuing to this day.

Much of this money came to Mr. Trump because he helped his parents dodge taxes. He and his siblings set up a sham corporation to disguise millions of dollars in gifts from their parents, records and interviews show. Records indicate that Mr. Trump helped his father take improper tax deductions worth millions more. He also helped formulate a strategy to undervalue his parents’ real estate holdings by hundreds of millions of dollars on tax returns, sharply reducing the tax bill when those properties were transferred to him and his siblings.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

Source: the new york times

Edited by Doc Brown
  • 2 weeks later...

A have a lot of steam to respond to that. Some of my best friends are part of the LGBT community, and this is just plain... >:( My vocabulary and dictionary do not have the words to truly process how..%$^%$^%$#^%$^#%$^%$#^#%$^#$%^%$^#$%^#%$^%$#^#$%^%$#^#$%^#%$^^%#$^$%#^$%#^%$#$%^^$%$#^$%^%$#^$%^%^%#$^%$#^#$%%^%#$#^$^%#$%$^ this $%#^#%$^%$#^%#$^%#$^#%$^#%$^%$#^%#$^%$#^%$#^%$^%#$^#%$^%$#^%#$^%$#^^%#$^#$^%$$^%$^%$#^$^#$^%%#$^%$#^%$#^$%^#&*^%$&^%&%$&&$%&$^%^&% situation is. 

I'm not taking this as a joke. This %#$^%$#^%$^#%$^%#$^%#%$^#$% administration has played with a lot of lives to make sure they themselves are the only ones protected. %#$^#%$^#%$^#%$^#%$^$^%#$^#$%^#%$^%$^$%^#%$^#$%^%#$^#%$ them. They have gone too %$^%$#^#%$^%$#^%$#^%$#^%$#^#%$^#^%#$^%$#^%$#^%#$^$ far. 

%$#$%%#$^#%$^$#$%^^#%$! *stops self from damaging anything* So much for civil and human rights progress!  

The sad thing is that I want Democrats to take back both Congress and Senate, but I don't know if they'll get it. And voter suppression... what happened to our democracy?! They're making it harder for people to vote because they're desperate to win. That's how bad it's getting. And even if Trump will leave office in whatever year it will be... will it get better or worse. This is just... %$^&%$#^%$#^$%#^%$#^%$#^%#$^#$%^#%$^#^%#$^%#$^%#$^%$^%#$^#$^#$ everywhere.

Edited by XLW

All of that. I'm just as angry at this point. That there are so many hateful, spiteful people who are more than willing to strip away people's rights makes me sick.

As for voter suppression, those SOB's have done it for years and years. It's why the voters rights act was there! I was livid when Roberts helped to strip it of some of its teeth. He knew damn well what would happen next. Fuck him.