5 years of Nintendo Switch

fGg9lcX.png

Today marks 5 years since the Nintendo Switch released! Hard to believe the Switch is already 5 years old. Seems like just yesterday I got invited to that Switch Preview Event and picked up my Switch with BotW at my local GameStop's midnight launch, which I'm still rockn' :) 

After all these years the Switch is still a really cool system, with a ton of great games and even more on the way just this year. The big wow moment for me wasn't Breath of the Wild, but when I finally got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I previously needed the Wii U to play it and now I could play it anywhere! Too bad this far in we still don't have folders or any new themes. I thought we would have at least gotten folders by now, because it's such a simple QoL feature. Why does Nintendo always have to start a square one when it comes to this (referring to how long it took the Wii U to get folders, when the 3DS had them)? Hopefully we at least get folders soon.

What's your fav. memories with the Switch?

Some highlights for me are...

• Getting invited to that Switch Preview Event (see link above).
  • The launch of Breath of the Wild.
  • Continuing our Mario Kat 8 night's (almost 10 years old) with MK8D..
  • The launch of Super Smash Bros.: Ultimate and all the DLC characters
  • The launch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and it exploding in popularity during lockdown.
  • Tetris Effect finally coming to Switch.
  • Watching the Switch grow in popularity, despite more powerful consoles being on the market.
  • Watching the Switch explode as an indie platform.

Edited by alienboyva

I'm sure I've said this every year this thread is made, I did not get a Switch till October of that year so I am not a day one owner and neither is the Switch I have now. It is the V2 red box Switch released in August 2019 so the Switch I have now will be 3 years old in August. (At least we share a b-day month)

So with that said my greatest memories of the Switch is my first time playing Splatoon 2, then Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade. I would include MK8 DX and BotW but I played so much of those games on Wii U. (in fact I first played BotW on Wii U, yup with all its loading glory from game to Miiverse at the time where you would see that weird loading circle between screens) So double dipping sort of takes away that first feeling again on Switch. (tho the BotW Switch version I got was the explore edition where I got a cloth like map of Hyrule in BotW)

Other great memories is Smash Ultimate, the ability to play classic games. (tho that feeling now to me seems to be taken for granted) Yeah, that's all I can think of first great moment on Switch.

It's great that it has achieved so much in the 5 years its been out, that is something for sure. Happy 5th birthday Nintendo Switch!

Happy Nintendo Switch day!

I remember hesitating about pre-ordering the Switch and missed the window, so instead I went out and waited at the midnight launch to get it on release day (I was pretty close to the cutoff too, so thankfully I got one). I was able to pre-order a special edition of Breath of the Wild though, and I remember the cashier being really confused on why I had one pre-order but not the other.

Weirdly 5 years feels like both a long time and a short time. The Switch still feels new, but at the same time it feels like it has such a huge game library that I've been playing it for ages. All I know is I'm not ready for a Switch 2 yet, I'm still happy with the Switch.

I remember being very hesitant about getting another Nintendo console after Wii U and waited an entire year (almost to the date) before getting a Switch, but to be honest, I think Switch might be my favorite console to date. A combination of handheld form factor as well as having a large presence of smaller third parties (particularly AA Japanese third parties--think Gust/Atelier, e.g.) really does keep me coming back. Xenoblade, probably my favorite Nintendo franchise, had a very strong outing on Switch. On a pure software level, so many Nintendo games have really pushed the series forward, such as New Horizons, Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, and Legends Arceus; they just feel so different than what came before. And to be honest, this console still feels strong. Games such as Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart 8 DLC alone indicate this system is far from over.

Overall, just very happy with the system.

Edited by Stephen 776

I remember getting my PO in at BBY for OG Switch and doing their midnight pick up for the system, BotW, BotW full amiibo set, Bomberman Blast, ...and like one other game I think, and a Pro Controller.  The big thing though was adding to my cart their Gamer Club thing or not.... basically, for adding that too, and with the discounts, I broke even on adding that to my cart and that Club saved me tons on games and amiibos for like 2 years... too bad they dropped it a few years ago because I was heavily using them for purchases because of it.  Pickup was trouble free at 12am that night but I had to be at work at 7am later on that morning so I basically unboxed it, set it up, and went to bed.  I went gray with my JCs because the neon colors just weren't' reflected in real world lighting very well for me to consider them and I would have gone gray anyways just to keep up with my other gear/furniture.  I know that was a hot debate in the line I was in for pick up, about which colors did you like/get.  I'd say my line was 50/50 on that note.

Due to wear issues on my OG Switch I did take advantage of GS's trade-in deal and got in on a in-store PO for a white SWOLED.  I have enjoyed the screen size increase and quality immensely.  I do kind of wish the dock was a dark color though.

Random major thoughts otherwise:

I got that Smash Bros bundle with the Smash Pro Controller....damn it was sexy...surprised they didn't make more of them.  FWIW, my brother sold his OG Switch off to get the Smash Edition Switch bundle.

When drift became a thing, I decided to get some extra JCs and I ended up with purple/orange and blue/yellow sets with stimulus money in 2020.  I rock the purple/yellow set mostly LOL.  I also got the Zelda JCs with SSHD because they were so sexy--my first Amazon Japan PO because of online issues here in the states with POs.

BotW is such a killer game.

SMO was a killer Mario title and the sheer concept of Capy's mechanics made it insane the possibilities they could go for.

The sheer value in MK8DLX is insane.... even if you have rocked the game since the WiiU days and bought its DLC packs.

Agree with others about the success in Indie games on the machine.

I think the Switch made a lot of good moves in terms of design but some stuff they left out still puzzles me like improved online, themes, gifting of games, Miiverse or equivalent, Streetpass or equivalent....

Time will tell on the argument between WiiVC concept and subscription based retro game streaming but...

I am very glad this rebounded Nintendo in the marketplace and FWIW, I didn't hate my WiiU at all but I can't argue that it felt like what the Wii should have been with HD visuals, better storage options...ect...

I'm still amazed their proof of concept came off so strong that it was a good idea to go to one system versus a portable and a home system as separate entities.

Giving a shoutout to Lugis Mansion 3 for bringing that franchise back to life in a way that made it the best game in the series and has encouraged me to consider the 4th entry when it comes.  I was cool on this franchise after the GameCube offering so to me, this was a big deal to get me back into it.

Edited by purple_beard

I'm still playing on my launch day Switch. While neither are my favorite game on the system, I would say being a part of the launch of Breath of the Wild with the Switch and Metroid Dread with the OLED may be the most memorable moments I have had during the Switch generation. My favorite original titles from Nintendo have been ARMS and Ring Fit Adventure from this generation so far...Both feel like they have the creativity in design and control from the Wii/Wii U console generations, and brought it to another level. With ARMS, I would say beyond the launches, the reveal of Twintelle and Dr. Coyle are my most memorable moments specific to a particular game away from playing. As for Ring Fit, just beating Ring Fit Adventure itself felt like one of the greatest achievements I've had with gaming.

Xenoblade Chronicles, which I would generally say is my second favorite game of all time behind Metroid Prime Hunters, got new life this generation and it looks gorgeous when docked. It's not as impressive as its original release on the Wii, which I still am mind blown by, but I've taken a load of screenshots of this game just from putting the camera as close to first person as possible. I really love the Switch's media capture feature and gallery. It has boosted my experience with the games we've gotten and has made them easier to personalize. 

5 years in, I would say Nintendo Switch is my third favorite Nintendo system behind the Wii at second and Nintendo DS at the top, judging them by the Nintendo software released during their lifespans. In terms of generation, I have the Switch generation below every prior generation that I was actively present in when I owned both a Nintendo console and handheld. DS/Wii is my favorite, debate between 3DS/Wii U and GCN/GBA as second and third and then the Switch generation. 

@Ithrak Utopia

On ARMS, I agree, it was a unique concept that they executed well to show the HD motion off in the JCs.  They also had a pretty interesting cast of characters and a good was of adding characters over the course of the game.

I really think they make a 2nd one with more characters...  there are ideas out there that lend themselves easily to the concepts of how the ARMS look and then the interchangeable fists that go with them.  I think they can hit 20-24 characters for the next game easily.

@purple_beard I'm wanting to see the current 15 characters expanded upon further for a sequel, and more world building through content. I definitely want to see more longer play content beyond Grand Prix mode. If not for Nintendo Switch Sports, something like that would have been what I wanted to see from a sequel. They had boxing, basketball and volleyball already in the original with the ARMS universe's own spin on each event. I would've liked to have seen more events, like ARMS Golf and Baseball, and have tournament style modes for each like we've got with Grand Prix for the boxing/fighting rounds.

They could've expanded the next game more uniquely than that even. Have an eating contest or cook off at the Ramen Bowl as an event, have Dr. Coyle develop a simulation to test ARMS in the form of a lite RPG experience, trick competitions at Snake Park...If ARMS could be compared to Wii Sports, I think I would've liked ARMS 2 to draw comparisons to Nintendo Land. With its universe, I really thought the ARMS IP would be the Switch's spin on those compilation games from the Wii and Wii U. While I'm excited to see Nintendo Switch Sports, I do think it limits where an ARMS sequel can go beyond its arena fighter core. 

Edited by Ithrak Utopia

Half a decade at this point already?  Kinda weird to think about as Switch came out a year before Toys R Us went belly up, but during that launch year there were some fun and interesting times with the games our Nintendo rep brought now and again for customers to try out and play.  I think ARMS was probably the most fun of them that most people simply "got" and just had a blast with.  It was something different but still felt familiar when considering some of the comments of our guests comparing it to being like playing on the Wii.

As for me, I didn't get one at launch so a lot of my playtime was through Krazy's Switch.  But man, Breath of the Wild was such a trip to play and so much fun.  When my, now, fiancee and I first started dating, I introduced her to Breath of the Wild and she pretty much got her own Switch and that game shortly thereafter.  It was her very first Zelda game and now she's eager to try the other entries.  Another highlight for me is Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  Nintendo already had my money when it was first announced but I was not prepared for how great of an experience it would ultimately turn out to be.  At the time I pretty much considered it better than the original, although after that initial high I did put it at a very close second.  However, I do think XC2+Torna is a stronger package than XC+Future Connected.  On those merits, XB2 is definitely tops for me.

My experience with Switch has been great and I only regret that I don't have nearly as much time nowadays to game as I used to as there are still so many titles I want to play but may never get around to.

• Chrom featured this topic