Glenbrook - N4A Chat Thread - March 2022

Chrom

4 hours ago, April said:

oh i'm not passing judgment on it, just that the portability is half the reason and the other is just playing nintendo games. it's not like there's really anything special about their vision beyond a few obligatory early games each time like ARMS lol

I disagree that there is never an overarching vision (besides money, which yes, I get that they are a capitalist company lol). I think the fact that they actually do try different things even in the modern age clearly demonstrates that there’s a degree of creative pride at work, even with the typical bottom line discussion wrapped in. Nintendo is well known for innovation and some would say being the “king of left field”. If money was literally the only explanation for every decision, why would they not have just joined the “pissing contest”, as Ty put it, decades ago? That’s what literally every other “AAA” publisher and company has been doing since the early 2000s and even 1990s…

They clearly want to make money as easily as possible, but I don’t get the overly cynical vibe I am feeling, here… The “Nintendo quality” notion is not based on marketing alone, despite the mistakes/imperfections we still see in them as an overall company and brand.

Anyway, I wasn’t trying to say that BotW plays differently on the WiiU or whatever, my point is, BotW’s reinvention of Zelda is just like reinventing gaming via the Switch. They saw an opportunity to tap into two markets at once, and take a swing at revolutionizing gaming again, in the process. For me, BotW embodies this notion of taking what they have and pushing their creative inspiration as far as possible. Yes, to make money. But I’m sure the actual developers would also like to fancy themselves as artists, too… and art is aupposed to be more to people than just the money piece.

So sure, executive Nintendo obviously are sitting in their boardroom saying, “hm, how can we get the most bang for our buck from these IPs we own or at least heavily influence?” But… are you trying to say that you think this is the only kind of conversation happening in the whole company around strategy, direction, game development, etc.?

I’ve always personally understood their overall strategy being to make money while also trying to spice things up as often as possible, if just from the developers’ points of view to help make the grueling pressures of working in a capitalist-Japanese company more bearable. lol Double whammy of crushing work culture, from what I always hear…

41 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I'd actually like Nintendo to just do a Switch Series X for the next gen, maybe work in new peripherals, but make a more powerful portable/dockable Switch.

Definitely seems like the natural direction to go in, eh? The Switch definitely has some… er, opportunities they could fairly easily take advantage of…

5 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

Definitely seems like the natural direction to go in, eh? The Switch definitely has some… er, opportunities they could fairly easily take advantage of…

Well Ring Fit and the leg strap only just came this year. With the Joycons they could also try a VR headset peripheral as well. I just think they need to put a little more power in to try and maximize these experiences.

Good question. 

Most of the time, I don't bother with 100% the game for its collectibles because I know some parts of them are whatever, or the rewards or bonuses weren't worth it. 

... I don't really know which of the games I have 100%. Kirby's Dream Land 2, my first Kirby game, I always made sure to get the Rainbow Shards, even if that game is meh to get the collectibles with . I never completed Crystal Shards because some of the puzzles required certain power combinations, and the true final boss is lackluster. I don't think I completed Nightmare in Dream Land, because of the Meta Knight extra mode. Amazing Maze... the collectibles in that game were mostly garbage. Super Star Ultra... nope. It was the arena for me. It was too difficult at the time. Triple Deluxe was the first Kirby game I ever completed, mostly because of the keychains. Dream Land 2 was the second or third. Robot had stickers, which I didn't feel like was a good rewards, so pass. Star Allies... getting all the puzzle pieces is a lot to ask for, and there's no real incentive to get everything in that game.  

But to answer that question, beat the game first. But with Forgotten Land, it seems easier to get the collectibles during the stages. But, now it's action figures... might not 100% this too. 

8 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Well Ring Fit and the leg strap only just came this year. With the Joycons they could also try a VR headset peripheral as well. I just think they need to put a little more power in to try and maximize these experiences.

I'd love it if Nintendo did a proper VR headset peripheral for the Switch. I've had a Quest 2 for a few months now and VR is damn cool (I've mostly been watching movies in VR)! I've always thought VR would be neat to try out, though never got why people loved it so much. That all changed when I first tried VR with the Quest 2 and had my mind blown.

If Nintendo does do a proper VR headset peripheral, It'd be nice if it had a proper screen for VR and gave the Switch a bit more power for VR, so all you had to do was dock your Switch into it to get a full mobile VR experience that's similar to the Quest/Quest 2 (They might have to find a way to get the Joy-Con tracked 1 to 1 or have new controllers for VR). Those headsets where you just pop your phone into the front aren't the best and from what I've heard, the Labo VR headset wasn't that great, but ok for what it was.

I feel Nintendo could do some really cool stuff with VR. I mean, just look at what they've already done with the Labo VR Kit. I really want to play Metroid Prime in VR so badly! >_< Also, Mario Kart would be pretty cool as well (I know they had they that official MK VR, that was touring around places). If Nintendo doesn't do a popper VR headset for the current Switch, they should definitely do one for the next Switch, though it could be a bit pricey.

Edited by alienboyva
3 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

When playing through a Kirby game for 100% completion, do you typically keep replaying each individual level until you find all the collectibles, or do you wait until you finish the main game, then go back to the ones that you missed?

Depends.

Are the collectibles just novelties a la the medals in 3DS games? I'd do them post-game, if at all.

Are they tokens that unlock levels a la the code cubes in Robobot? Usually I replay the level until I get them all.

8 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

When playing through a Kirby game for 100% completion, do you typically keep replaying each individual level until you find all the collectibles, or do you wait until you finish the main game, then go back to the ones that you missed?

honestly just depends on how i'm feeling at the moment 

if its something annoying i have to accomplish, i usually end up going back to it later when i feel more motivation, but if its somethin' fun or easy i'll do it right away if i have time

beating a boss and not getting hit/beat a level in x amount of time: lame, i'll go back to this later

'take a nap by the hidden pool': mysterious, fun, i know where this is so i'll do it now