Glenbrook - N4A Chat Thread - March 2022

Chrom

My basic bullet points are:

- Jada said in interview a few days beforehand she loves the look (might've influenced whether Rock was going to say something)

-Personally, I don't think the comment was that bad. Yes, I know her hair was from a medical condition which is NOT cool, but, um, I always thought GI Jane was a badass. A strong, badass. He picked likely the best comparison that could've been done.

-Will should not have hit him. Full stop. Beef beforehand or not, we are talking about an audience member hitting a comedian on stage. I hope this does not set a trend.

-They (media) focused too much on Will being a victim. He didn't get hit. He didn't get targeted by the joke. Jada is perfectly capable of defending herself.

-THAT being said, 100% with him for yelling at Rock to "keep my wife's name out your fucking mouth" - if that's all that happened, I'd more likely be on Will's side. But he went too far.

-I haven't seen a thing on how Jada feels about this. Just her initial reaction to joke. I'm curious if she would've felt one way if Will didn't hit Chris vs how it played out.

Regardless of what happened Oscar night, I've been sick of the Smith family for years now. They come off very condescending and entitled for people who air way too much dirty laundry and personal information in public.

Looks like the BotW sequel is getting pushed to Spring 2023 for extended development time

The game not being rushed is a good thing, and sounds like there’s a decent amount of new stuff in it too

So that’s fine - still need to get back to and work on BotW anyway….

I started writing a response to the above to continue talking about the slap, but honestly? My point was to try to say I think a bunch of mistakes were made and focusing so intensely on one of those mistakes was silly… so I should probably just drop it. lol I will just shut up about that conversation and talk about BotW, now. :) 

I can’t say that I am surprised, or anything… they have seemed really intent on meticulously making this as “perfect” as possible for quite a while, now. Seems almost obsessively perfectionistic at this point. :P It will probably come out some day… probably…

HOT TAKE: I think BotW should have stayed exclusive to the Wii U. While it's great that it served as a launch title for the Switch to give the new console a head start, the reality is that it was a Wii U swan song that the Switch took all the credit for.

And unlike Twilight Princess, where the Gamecube version's perfectly-fine button controls were replicated with waggle to show off the Wii's new abilities, Breath of the Wild had content flat-out removed from the Wii U version just so the Switch wouldn't be seen as the weaker port:

During development of the Wii U version, they showed off a feature where you could draw a path on the Gamepad map and have your horse automatically follow it to your destination. But in the final release, this feature was cut.

5 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

a feature where you could draw a path on the Gamepad map and have your horse automatically follow it to your destination

i actually kinda hate this lol. i was not amused by phantom hourglass making the sailing even more dull by essentially making it afk but you have to check sometimes to make sure you aren't being harassed by some random enemy

Edited by April
Just now, April said:

i actually kinda hate this lol. i was not amused by phantom hourglass making the sailing even more dull by essentially making it afk but you have to check sometimes to make sure you aren't being harassed by some random enemy

Also wasn't really needed with a million fast travel locations via Shrines.

honestly sounds like a neat feature but also wonders how it would even compare to what we got, which is horses following the paths of the world perfectly fine without any input anyway

the world isn't really built around a horse needing to traverse, so being able to draw my own paths just for a horse to get stuck on a rock taller than itself seems like it'd just be annoying? idk lol

anyway, not surprised in the least its been delayed, i was 100% expecting that anyway so here's hoping its made even better while i wait flower; 

1 hour ago, April said:

inb4 yet another zelda game delayed to release on both a new and old console

As much as I know it isn't going to happen any time soon I really hope Nintendo has some new hardware in the wings. The 7 year old, underclocked chip in the switch just isn't cutting it anymore. 

I definitely believe that TP should have stayed as a swan song to Gamecube, personally… but truth be told, I believe in BotW’s case, marrying it more or less to the Switch (and to a certain degree, Nintendo’s business strategy going forward from the Wii U sadness) actually was the better choice.

It honestly fit more for me as the beginning of a new era, so to speak, whereas TP was more like… tacked on to the Wii without real need, IMO. SS will always be the true Wii Zelda experience for me… TP will always be for GCN. BotW as a WiiU game just seems… uncanny? Hard to explain but I feel all the stars more or less aligned for BotW snd Switch.

If BotW2 becomes another dual-console game, I would just hope it would be relevant to what the next console is actually trying to accomplish (besides profit, obviously). But if it’s more or less “perfected BotW experience”, I would think even coming out close-ish to the end of the Switch’s lifecycle  (even just defining the latter half or third) would be much more thematically appropriate, anyway…

9 minutes ago, April said:

the need was just the fact that neither gamecube nor the wii u really sold well lol

As I alluded to, obviously profit was a major consideration for every decision made. lol But I don’t mind that when it happens to make sense, or even just work out thematically, for other reasons.

That’s why I said I “hope”… obviously they’re ultimately going to be told by the powers that be to do whatever said executives believe to be the most likely way for them to make as much money as they can, as inexpensively as possible.

So sure… if we are in fact close to next gen console for Nintendo, they may very easily consider another dual-launch to take advantage.

i played BotW on both wii u and switch and it didn't really feel different? idk why it would

twilight princess feels weird just bc the act of playing on the wii with it's silly controller and then only pressing buttons anyway (or the clunky motion if you really wanted to) itself is weird

also if you consider the switch's intent (or more accurately its marketing gimmick) being a portable console with instant easy multiplayer, i don't really know how you feel BotW particularly lined up with that at all y;

Edited by April

oh i'm not passing judgment on it, just that the portability is half the reason and the other is just playing nintendo games. it's not like there's really anything special about their vision beyond a few obligatory early games each time like ARMS lol