Wii U and 3DS eShop to shut down in March 2023

Of course I don't have faith that Nintendo will do their best to access retro games to the next system (server cost or not) but I can't help and be the benefit of the doubt guy in any circumstance that Nintendo created the Nintendo accounts on Switch and recently said they keep those accounts to next gen or as long as they can.

We don't know what details entail but I'd to assume that they like to keep the legacy of retro games from Switch somehow going to the next gen. That what I read about keeping the Nintendo accounts going beyond. If they do this and it is very, very, very slim they do but this will be the first time Nintendo carry over all the retro content instead of paying for it all over again.

@Tyranogre: I just saw that as of writing this post and was gonna post that here, dammit! >.<

I'll share my memories.

3DS

my_3ds_memories.thumb.png.de1ecd73556f314cfe97cc5af029fcf9.png

Most memorable was Awakening. If I had beaten all of Fates it would have overtaken Awakening as Most Played.

Wii U

1588107881_chrome_image_Feb1620224_07_14PMEST.thumb.png.fb5b29072de787aee3349e66f7d39a06.png

Still being into Call of Duty at the time, Black Ops 2 is also my most memorable even though the Mario Kart and Smash nights were a thing. I could see a difference if they had released either a wrestling or DBZ game. Or if people had gotten Runbow and that game night actually occurred.

Should be more of these posts and not doom and gloom, but that's just me.

So my memories are a bit surprising

Not too surprised at Pokemon Moon or New Leaf, honestly

New Leaf is probably my most memorable game..... haven't played that in quite awhile though i admit

Wii U is surprising - didn't realize i used Youtube that much back then.. thought i played Dimensions more though... Hyrule Warriors isn't surprising, considering i sunk quite a bit of time in that game

Results might be different if i had more games on them and played more...... but considering the lack of personal money, i didn't get to buy much too often on either system during both lifespans

Especially with the Wii U - a lot of games i didn't buy... not sure which ones are worth buying off the Wii U Eshop right now that haven't been brought to Switch yet

Have a huge list of 3DS games i'd like to buy... not sure on some of them of them though

my_3ds_memories.thumb.png.3251e6b61f52fa4e25973808d2a11c53.pngmost_unforgettable_3ds_game.thumb.png.6c71e5e9369a227af2be927eda7de2e2.pngmy_wiiu_memories.thumb.png.8313d7d7b2aa6497542eb3ad4ae5b911.pngmost_unforgettable_wiiu_game.thumb.png.3b4b3598146e39509e260ea7705a1ba0.png

Edited by Shadow118
  • Chrom featured this topic

After looking through the 3DS section a few days ago, man i have a huge list of 3DS games 

I don’t know about all of them, but quite a bit I haven’t bought… not sure if I’ve overlooked any or not

Spoiler

3D Classics Kid Icarus

3D Classics Kirby’s Adventure 

3D sonic the hedgehog 

3D Sonic the hedgehog 2

Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom 

Aeternoblade

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

Bravely Default 

Bravely Second

Codename steam

Code of Princess

Crashmo

Dedede’s Drum Dash Deluxe

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Detective Pikachu?

Dillon’s Rolling Western ?

—The Last Ranger?

—Dead Heat Breakers?

Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Etrain Odyssey 2

Etrain Odyssey IV

Etrain Odyssey Nexus

Etrain Odyssey Untold

Etrain Odyssey V

Ever Oasis

Fantasy Life

Fire Emblem Echoes

Fire Emblem Fates:Birthright/ Conquest

Fire Emblem Awakening

Fluidity Spin Cycle

Hey Ice King, Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?

Kirby Fighters Deluxe

Kirby Battle Royale

Kirbys Blowout Blast

Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn

Kirby Triple Deluxe

Kirby Planet Robobot

Luigi’s Mansion 

Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon?

Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story + Bowser Jr.s’ Journey

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam?

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser Jr.s Minions

Mario Golf World Tour

Metroid Prime Federation Force?

Metroid Samus Returns

Mighty Gunvolt Burst

Mutant Mudds

Mutant Mudds Super Challenge 

New Super Mario Bros. 2?

Nightsky

Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth?

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ?

Pokedex 3D Pro?

Pokémon Gold

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Pokémon.Omega Ruby

Pokémon Red Version 

Pokémon Rumble Blast?

Pokémon Silver

Pokémon Sun

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon 

Pokémon Trading Card Game

Pokémon Ultra Sun

Pokémon Yellow

Poochy & Yoshis Wooly World?

Project X Zone

Project X Zone 2

Quell Memento

Quell Reflect

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology 

Rayman 3D?

Rhythm Heaven Megamix?

Rune Factory 4?

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson

Senran Kagura Burst

Sonic Generations

Stella Glow

Story of Seasons?

Sretchmo

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Mario Land 2

Super Metroid

Tetris Axis?

The Denpa Men

The Denpa Men 2

The Denpa Men 3

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

Wario Land 2

Wario Land 3

WarioWare Gold

Witch & Hero?

Ultimate NES Remix

The Legend of Zelda Tri Force Heroes?

The Legend of Zelda- Oracle of Ages

The Legend of Zelda- Oracle of Seasons

The Legend of Zelda- Majora’s Mask 3D

The Legend of Zelda- A Link Between Worlds

Also looks like Nintendo already wiped out the Wii U games on their website

Doesn’t show the platform in the filter anymore- only 3DS and Switch right now

Was available and going through that a few days ago… wasn’t done going through that

Going by another source, there are a few games that might be worth picking up - I’m not sure on some of them though 

Granted, I’m not sure which ones are worth picking up that haven’t been brought to the Switch (yet?)

Looks like some of the remaining LEGO games are available on Steam with Controller support 

So that might be an option if those will be playable on the Steam Deck and a few less to buy on the Wii U

Not really sure if there’s any other games worth planning on picking up/downloading or not

Spoiler

Dr. Luigi

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD?

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD?

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Star Fox Zero?

Splatoon?

Super Mario Maker?

NES Remix Pack

Yoshi’s Wooly World

Paper Mario: Color Splash?

Super Smash Bros. Wii U + DLC?

Sonic Lost World

LEGO The Hobbit

LEGO Marvel’s Avengers

The LEGO Movie Videogame 

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Adventure Time: EtDBIDK

Adventure Time: Finn & Jake Investigations?

Looking at the space on my current SD Card in my 3DS, i have 897,179 Blocks free…

wonder how many games I’d be able to download on that….

Though whenever i get a new Xl system I’m going to have to get a new large Micro SD card and transfer things over

No clue on the repairability of my old Mario & Luigi XL wherever that’s been stored….

Been eyeing that Galaxy system for quite a long time… only dilemma is if i want to buy new as possible or a refurbished system…

Thinking about it now, with the possibility of Pokémon Bank shutting down who knows when, transferring Pokémon is going to be difficult 

Hopefully we get a home equivalent for 3DS in the future so we can continue  transferring Pokémon over

I’d like to bring all my Shinies over, but as far as i can transfer them is up to the Alola games since there isn’t a current Pokémon game that has data for all Pokémon yet

Still could bring them over to home, but otherwise most would be either stuck in Home or split between games

Plus I’m not sure what to transfer over currently either

Have a lot of Pokémon I transferred over from HeartGold,Black/White, and Diamond/Platinum - I don’t know how many of them can be brought into current games, but might bring those over since some of those have nostalgic memories for me, others not so much…. Granted i have around or over 8 boxes from those games so might take awhile to organize 

Also did a LOT of Wondertrading back in X, so I’m not sure which are worth bringing over

There’s a decent amount with Bred moves I’ll be keeping, and i think i brought all my HAs over to Ultra Moon, at least I think i did anyway…. have a nice handful of leftover female HAs from breeding… could bring those over and trade those away, though most don’t have too many bred special moves…

But a decent amount of the ones i got through Wondertrade are slightly junk and aren’t really worth keeping outside of the lottery, though I don’t usually mess with that much honestly

Now that i think about it, I should clear out Pokémon Home… majority i brought over are from Go because i kept running low on space….. might need it, honestly 

Also reminds me i need to renew my Pokémon Bank subscription since that ran out…

Hm….

I seen that.

It's one of those things where someone says something that won't happen for a long while or there's no way it will happen (like a chan 4 thoughts, speculations and rumors, etc, etc...) Welp, here we are.:D

Nothing much else to say, that wasn't already, with preservation, emulation, piracy, how do update games, DLC, redeedm codes or buy games, it's not fair and why? It's all been said to death here. What else more than having I told you so 8 years to top this all off, right?

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, so here is my current list of games I'll buy before then: 

Super Paper Mario- Nobody shuts up about it, even if it's somewhat responsible for Paper Mario's decline, but good story is good.

Super Mario Galaxy 2- Even though the story is weaker, I heard the level design and gimmicks are better.
Pikmin 2- A classic. I have Pikmin anyways, even if I haven't played it yet.
Metroid Prime Trilogy- Good price at 20, and I was always interested in it.

Wario Ware Gold- Only because of the sheer amount of mini games. 

SMT Soul Hackers- Soul Hackers II was announced.

Shin Megami Tensei IV- I might not play it because I have somewhat really don't like Nocturne.

Games on the fence: 

Eshop- 

Kirby's Canvas Curse 
Kirby's Mass Attack- Both games I used to have on the DS, but never liked their gimmicks. 
SMT Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked
SMT Strange Journey Redux- I heard Persona is not a true SMT game, went and played SMT III, thought it was average, looked at all these other spinoffs. I have no real ideal what the consensus of these three games are, since I haven't heard people taking about them as much as the main and Persona series. I'm only buying Soul Hackers because the sequel will come out this year. I'm an RPG guy, but I can't tell if these games will be for me. 

• 11 months later...

I noticed that the complete version of Shovel Knight (all 4 campaigns) is 80% off. Less than a day left! I've never been interested in Shovel Knight, but I might grab it for 3DS.

I crammed into that 2GB card for as long as I could, then got 4GB, then 8... still had to leave a bunch of things deleted. Even for microSD cards I'd been juggling one old 8GB for over a decade... I just bought a 32GB card for my 3DS (among others) and BOY AM I FEELING THE INFINITE POWER. Downloaded everything remotely interesting and I don't think it's even half filled.

Edited by Destiny Hero

I think since I got my Majora's Mask 3DS handheld in 2015, I had 32GB and over the year and I think sometime after the Switch launched, I think that 32GB is nearly full.

So tho, I get the FOMO of not getting what ppl think they need to get till its no more but I guess I just had the time before this point, that I got what wanted out of 3DS, so I made my peace with the 3DS eShop closing down. Don't get me wrong it's sad and tho I get it, one can't get sentimental at the times or now what we're gonna missed with 3DS/Wii U eShop closing down tomorrow.

Made a lengthy tweet thread and i don’t feel like reposting it in full

In medium, never got to download the remaining content for Dimensions before the Eshop closes

I don’t usually buy a console for a single game, but guess i could just get a cheap used Xbox one or PS3/4 and the game/toypad - I’m assuming those stores still have the content available 

Probably my only option at this point - really something i should have done ages ago - still don’t have the last 8 packs for that just yet, though getting them off Ebay or Bricklink wouldn’t be too hard.. though will be somewhat pricey depending on the pack - might get lucky in getting some for a low price

Missed out on a lot of Wii U/3DS games due to lack of money - technically, there’s a decent amount i can still get physically still… though I’d be missing content for some if i did get them if they had DLC

Crossing my fingers that more games get ported to the Switch at some point with the Eshops closing - not sure how likely, but would be nice to have…

Im hoping i downloaded everything i needed already off the 3DS awhile back

Also tried to charge my 3DS, but apparently my charging cord is broken - light turns on for a moment but turns off immediately  - wish i knew that a month or two ago

So looks like I’m going to need a new one of those… also still wouldn’t mind reupgrading to an XL system