Mario Kart 8 DLX +48 (aka Booster Course Pass) Discussion Wave 6 11/9 ITS ALIVE!

Yes, I am curious to see either with the new 8 courses next or all 48 will look without divvying up courses for the weekly tournaments will go.

On any giving night we go thru like 16 or so course out the the available 48 now, I'm curious to see how many of the new or the old will show if we keep all tracks on to see how the flow of course go. (I feel this way we can also figure out what track remix are not so good) Or from the when we get all 48 new course we divvy up the course by sections.

Was discussed here earlier.

Like Ultimate and where MK8 DX is eventually going, the only way to go forward with a new MK is to start over like ppl mentioned for the next Smash. The focus of course is what new courses will be there in compliment to what retro course will comeback and/or be redesigned with the new gimmick in mind. The characters of who will be in the new one is important at the start than any other time of a MK game.

49 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Was discussed here earlier.

Like Ultimate and where MK8 DX is eventually going, the only way to go forward with a new MK is to start over like ppl mentioned for the next Smash. The focus of course is what new courses will be there in compliment to what retro course will comeback and/or be redesigned with the new gimmick in mind. The characters of who will be in the new one is important at the start than any other time of a MK game.

I am on board with a retro dump of courses even though, yes, I'd like new courses.

I do think there is merit to the thought of having all prior tracks get their reboot for for play on the newest game so you can still play your favorites online.  I think the real question to this end becomes, how does the next game balance the forumla for a while of 1/2 new stuff and 1/2 retro reboots.  Now 8 did add DLC choices to the mix and going outside the Mario universe for tracks.  Basically, I am thinking the next game will be a full 32 game original version and they will do multiple season passes over the "course of the game" to eventually end up at all the courses.  I just wonder how they monetize it for consumers.

And I am not sure how Mario Kart Tour's drops of racers, karts, kart parts, and NEW/RETRO tracks factors into their ideas on the console version.

Yeah, with rebooting MK, the discussion of how many retro courses and how many new course isn't a question anymore. The questions in more on the characters and parts, I feel. Who new from the last game do you keep, who old do you keep, and who just new do you bring in? As much I say the appeal of MK is the course, some ppl feel the characters are just as important.

Whatever that reboot looks course wise with 16 new and 16 retro is anyone guess. I feel I'm more flexible what form MK will be next vs Smash, I have sort of hard locks what I want in reboot vs MK.

20 hours ago, purple_beard said:

So, what tracks do you guys want?  40 left... I put a link in OP to assist in look up.

Mine in no particular order...but going by game:

Top Wants from SMK:

Bowser Castle 3

Ghost Valley 1

Mario Circuit 4

MKSC:

Sunset Wilds

Bowser Castle 4

Boo Lake

Snow Land

Riverside/Lakeside Park

MK64:

Wario Stadium

Banshee Boardwalk

DK's Jungle Parkway

Koopa Troopa Beach

Mario Kart Double Dash:

Mushroom City

Mushroom Bridge

Bowser Castle

Wario Coloseum

*Dino Dino Jungle would be cool

*Peach Beach would be cool

*Daisy Cruiser would be cool

*Waluigi Stadium would be cool

Mario Kart DS

Desert Hills

DK Pass

Waluigi Pinball

Airship Fortress

Bowser Castle

MKWii:

Daisy Circuit

Koopa Cape

Moonview Highway

DK Summit

Bowser Castle

Maple Treeway

Toad's Factory

Mario Kart 7:

Wario Shipyard

Rosalina's Ice World

Bowser Castle

Rock Rock Mountain'

Shy Guy Bazaar

Rainbow Road

Diasy Hills

Since I saw a lot of good commentary about tracks and I went bare bones the first time around, I think I will add some commentary to some stuff....

SMK choices:

BC3: of the BCs in the original, I think 3 has the most to offer in terms of challenge for what is new to the series.

MC4: I think some of its turns open up some stuff in a MK8 kind of way.

GV1: Its layout and jumps make it pretty cool...

*The Vanilla Lakes and Choco Islands from this game could be cool and would they try to do some underwater additions....

*DP2 and 3 wouldn't be bad, I'd probably like 3 more... and with more water, they might do more with that.

GV3.... now that could be interesting...

MKSC Choices:

Sunset Wilds: Mainly the aesthetic to the course and the teepees and shyguys add so much to that race....  plus, a sunset desert course just sounds cool.

BC4: I just how this game did the Bowser Castles with riding on the fencing over the lava and what not, I think 4 is aa solid choice.

Boo Lake: I liked the aesthetic and an slightly different spin on the ghost house track concept.

Snow Land: I like having more arctic courses and I also like the shortcuts this one offered.

Riversise and Lakeside Park courses had some cool shortcuts and track layouts.  Lakeside for the volcano shots though...

Yoshi Desert is one I forgot, but I liked that one for the obstacles and quicksand....  solid desert couse.

MK64 Choices:

Wario Stadium:  As soon as bikes came into play,... and now with ATVs, a course made for those kinds of vehicles is needed.  Offers some jumps for gliding and you can upgrade some antigravity areas.

Banshee Boardwalk: Aside from the visual upgrades I think this is made for some antigravity tinkering and maybe some water shortcuts.

DKs Jungleland Parkway:  The course is just too darn cool.

Koopa Troopa Beach... has the jumps for gliding... could have some underwater action too.

*I mean, yeah, I'd be down for Kalimari Desert and the two arctic courses too

MKDD Choices:

Mushroom City just has so much going on and tons of places to work in antigravity

Wario Coliseum: the way that track was designed seems destined for jumps and anti-gravity.

Mushroom Bridge: just a cool course and it offers lots of options for jumps and antigravity upgrades.

Bowser Castle is one of the best in the series IMO... lots of killer turns, possible shortcuts...

I wouldn't mind what an antigravity and gliding addition could do for Peach Beach, Dino Dino Jungle, Daisy Cruiser, and Waluigi Stadium.  I would also not be mad about DK Mountain coming back.

MKDS Choices:

Desert Hills: I'm a fan of the topography and the turns in that course.  I also have a soft spot for the SMB3 deset level leanings of the design.

DK Pass: the jumps... the turns.... throw in the MK8 stuff and....

Waluigig Pinball in HD... nothing else needs to be said.

Airship Fortress:  I mean the course in MK8 kind of tried to this one's magic again but nothing beats the original.

Bowser Castle:  For two main reasons, the spinning drum you ride on coming out the castle and the grated tracks over the lava would just make for a cool course.

I do think Peach Gardens, Delfino Square, and Luigi's Mansion have possibilities.

MKWii Choices:

Daisy Circuit because of the sunset vibe and the lighthouse... cool shortcuts...

Koopa Cape seems to fit MK8's deal

Moonview Highway: a better Toad's Turnpike and tons of antigravity and jumping potential

DK Summit has so much potential with MK8's deal and I loved the ski/snowboard vibe to the track.

Bowser Castle: has so many cool parts that can work with MK8's deal.

Maple Treeway seems fitting to MK8's deal and blends in well with the Fall AC track version.

Toad's Factory has all kinds of jumps and antigravity possibilities.

Mairo Kart 7 Choices:

Wario Shipyard HAS TO BE THERE... the course, the music, the aesthetic ... IN HD with MK8 UPGRADES!  They could also double down on its atmosphere.

Rosalina's Ice World: a fun track that I think leans itself to MK8 well.

Bowser Castle would be so sick... with MK8 upgrades

Rock Rock Mountain... same

Shy Guy Bazaar: kind of same deal as Sunset Wilds...but this track was so cool...

Rainbow Road: one of my favorite RRs.

Daisy Hills with MK8 upgrades would be epic.

Rainbow Road here would also be cool IMO.

*The Wuhu Loop and Maka Wuhu I would not be opposed to, and with MK8 upgrades... could be pretty cool to do again.

53 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, with rebooting MK, the discussion of how many retro courses and how many new course isn't a question anymore. The questions in more on the characters and parts, I feel. Who new from the last game do you keep, who old do you keep, and who just new do you bring in? As much I say the appeal of MK is the course, some ppl feel the characters are just as important.

Whatever that reboot looks course wise with 16 new and 16 retro is anyone guess. I feel I'm more flexible what form MK will be next vs Smash, I have sort of hard locks what I want in reboot vs MK.

*IF* it stricly stays Mario, there are more than enough characters...  look at MKT: King BobOmb, Chargin Chuck, Pauline, ect...    Not even going there with costumes...   And back to characters....  Boshi, the "Hammer Bro family", alt color Koopas/Para Koopas, Mouser, Wart, Sniffit (If Shy Guy can make it), Woolly Yoshi & Poochy, buzzy beetle, ect... I mean...

Ohh, DL (or anyone else for that matter), did you get that new Crash Team Racing for Switch?  I mean, a custom kart/racer designer would be HUGE!

AND BATTLE MODE NEEDS SOME LOVE on expansion.

Edited by purple_beard
21 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Ohh, DL (or anyone else for that matter), did you get that new Crash Team Racing for Switch?  I mean, a custom kart/racer designer would be HUGE!

I own that game but haven't played in a while so my memory is fuzzy if that game had a kart designer, we all know on MKDS had the emblem maker design and that was cool.

Yeah, ppl are so focus on the lack characters in this pass and the next MK but I feel sorry for the battle arena selections. (they're courses too) I would like to see block city, block fort, big donut, Skyscraper and the Gamecube shape ones. Battle arenas definitely need more love, man more than anything else.

3 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I own that game but haven't played in a while so my memory is fuzzy if that game had a kart designer, we all know on MKDS had the emblem maker design and that was cool.

Yeah, ppl are so focus on the lack characters in this pass and the next MK but I feel sorry for the battle arena selections. (they're courses too) I would like to see block city, block fort, big donut, Skyscraper and the Gamecube shape ones. Battle arenas definitely need more love, man more than anything else.

OK, so

you had the base character then with wumpa fruit you earned in-race, you could buy alt skins which were character coloring and clothing related...

the wumpa fruit earnings could also allow buying of alt paint schemes for cars, tires, and other parts of the vehicle.

Of note, some characters, cars, car parts, alt skins were buyable with wumpa fruit or unlockable via winning...

Just now, purple_beard said:

OK, so

you had the base character then with wumpa fruit you earned in-race, you could buy alt skins which were character coloring and clothing related...

the wumpa fruit earnings could also allow buying of alt paint schemes for cars, tires, and other parts of the vehicle.

Of note, some characters, cars, car parts, alt skins were buyable with wumpa fruit or unlockable via winning...

Okay, it's coming back to me. I only did the for alt skins I didn't do that karts. I would of remember something like that or I really didn't know, or I didn't like what they had. I'm gonna go with the latter because I do remember the wumpa fruit now.

I want a Supreme Grand Prix mode, where you play EVERY track one after the other (randomized or ordered). BUT I want two modes:

-Points Mode - Basically how they're done now, you get points for 1st, 2nd, etc and move on

-Continuous Mode - No idea how they'd do this, but once you cross the finish line after your final lap YOU move on to the next track. Items carry forward with you but only Lightning and Blue Shells can traverse tracks (so if you throw a Red Shell at someone in front of you but they cross to the next track, it misses). To help with connection/lag there's 5 seconds of "Get Ready" before you continue the next track. Winner is literally just first to finish all (what 96?) tracks.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

I want a Supreme Grand Prix mode, where you play EVERY track one after the other (randomized or ordered). BUT I want two modes:

-Points Mode - Basically how they're done now, you get points for 1st, 2nd, etc and move on

-Continuous Mode - No idea how they'd do this, but once you cross the finish line after your final lap YOU move on to the next track. Items carry forward with you but only Lightning and Blue Shells can traverse tracks (so if you throw a Red Shell at someone in front of you but they cross to the next track, it misses). To help with connection/lag there's 5 seconds of "Get Ready" before you continue the next track. Winner is literally just first to finish all (what 96?) tracks.

All Cup Tour from mkdd...yes...a true challenge.

Edited by purple_beard
22 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

It's like Smash Bros at this point. So much content, it can't be topped and will be expected for future titles

Smash has had more fighters than MK tracks for a while, but now MK will have more. Crazy.

22 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

I’m pretty sure the reason we didn’t get a reveal for Mario Kart 9 is that it was recently announced that MK9 started development. That’s most likely why we’re getting the Booster track pass, to have something to hold us over till Mario Kart 9 probably comes out on Nintendo’s next system. 

I missed that announcement. This DLC will keep releasing through 2023, and that's already 6 years into the Switch's life. If MK9 releases maybe 1 or 2 years after that, we're looking at 7 or 8 years deep, for what's supposed to be one of Nintendo's flagship evergreen releases--suggesting that the Switch will be around for many years after even that. They MUST be planning an upgraded Switch soon, for real this time.

14 hours ago, purple_beard said:

WHERE IS BATTLE MODE?

JUST GIVE US MKDS BLOCK FORT BALLOON BATTLES YOU COWARDS!

Edited by Destiny Hero
3 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

PB, already answered you but this was a mode once you get all the karts, characters, and cups in the game called All-Tour mode from Mario Kart Double Dash!!

But I do like the continuous mode. This will be substantial shake up to MK like Breath of the Wild was to Zelda and Pokemon Legends Arceus to the Pokemon franchise.  

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

All Cup Tour from mkdd...yes...a true challenge.

Of course, you responded to this first.

A perspective of someone who plays MKT alot. Tho, he may look out sound slightly out of his mind he makes good point, why there won't be MK9 at any point and when they'll be one. And especially speculation of next Mario Kart and what it will be about. This DLC is hold back the next release and will function along side with updated to MKT and even 2 might share content. Overall a good thing, eventually when we get a new MK.

A take on the remastered courses of MK8 DX. I started the vid where he starts talking about this. I have watch a few on this opinion and this one to me stands out as actual fair in the criticism. Also, touch on the Expansion Pack VS owning the DLC too.

In addition what course is coming to this DLC thru the datamine of courses in Tour and coming. Believe at discretion, if you what you want is coming or not as well.

Edited by DLurkster
23 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Ok, so I watched this video about 3x back to back to back to see on the graphics....

I so think the Pass graphics look upgraded from the originals... but I am not so sure about feeling apart of the MK8 graphical fidelity.  I am wondering if the clips used in the trailer for the announcement are a pre-finalzed version of the tracks.  Now, due the graphical prowess of modern cell phones I see no reason a native MKT track can't look up to par with a MK8DLX track.  The only glaring oddity is that Mushroom Ridge track though....

I don't mind the visual tone of the remix tracks coming as DLC to MK8 DX but if I am being real with myself, it when you see MK8 track one race then let's say the next race goes to remix track DLC. I think maybe that is what ppl are really talking about. It's one thing for some visual not to look good at all, (preference is definite influence here) but how they modelled these remixed tracks as tour and up res it to HD doesn't look that bad. (it could look worse) Again, it's when you see the jarring view of MK8 track vs these DLC is where thing might look a little weird. Maybe in time playing them enough we won't really think about it (maybe, maybe?) but for now I think that is jarriness that everybody seems to be talking about.

As much as I was trying to explain why people were upset that the Booster pass tracks look like they were just up-resed tracks from MKT, that doesn’t really bother me. I guess a big way we can tell if these are straight from MKT will be the lack of the anti-gravity sections. Unless they add anti-gravity sections specifically for this booster pass tracks, or if they added anti-gravity sections into MKT. But either way, that’s not a huge deal breaker for me either.