Mario Kart 8 DLX +48 (aka Booster Course Pass) Discussion Wave 6 11/9 ITS ALIVE!

Okay, I finally played all the new Course 1 and 2 Tracks, and here are my thoughts (On 200): 

General: What's with the camera? Maybe it's too close, but I always bumped into stuff without knowing it. 

General: I think some of the courses look okay. Not as good as the base game, but still fine. 

General: Getting used to most of the Tour tracks, like the real life city ones, was a challenge. Except for the Sega racing games, not much other racing games change their layout during the races. Maybe I'll check out Mario Kart Tour in a while. I know there are tracks like Make Wuhu,  Mt. Wario and so on that have section design, but this is a new ballgame for me. Imagine Mushroom City doing this eventually. New York Minute even feels like an updated version of that track.   

Tour Paris Promenade: Honestly, not that bad. It's one of the few that looks good and plays well to drive on. I like the music and how big the Eiffel Tower is. 10/10. 

3DS Toad Circuit: It did not need to come back. There's nothing new here, and I would've preferred any other 7 track. 0/10. 

N64 Choco Mountain: The first few turns are annoying on 200. The new cave design is neat. I like the gliding section. The music is amazing too. Overall... 7/10. 

Wii Coconut Mall: I got this after the patch. With that said, some of the turns are hard to pull off; and I'm not sure if there's enough space to glide compared to 7. Also, is it just me, or is the ending more narrow than before? Then there's the Shy Guy cars. Look, I don't have a problem with them as everyone else does. If you don't like it, play any other Coconut Mall version. Still has the bumping music. Overall... 6/10.  

Tour Tokyo Blur: A fun track to race on, even if there's little challenge. 10/10. 

DS Shroom Ridge: I would've preferred Mushroom Bridge or City. Even with that said, I think the ending turns are not 200 friendly. There's enough space to not get hit too much by the cars. That, and the music is incredible! 8/10. 

GBA Sky Garden: The second turn is not 200 friendly. And maybe the first. That mushroom pad before the second turn does not help matters. Still, it's a GBA track, and the music is fantastic. 7/10. 

Ninja Hideaway: Good artistic design hampered by some of the worst turn design ever. For 200, the ending turns are just straight up ridiculous. 3/10.  

Overall: 51/80. There are some standout moments from some of these tracks. My favorite is Paris Prominate, while my least favorite is Toad Circuit.  

-------------------------------------------

Tour New York Minute: Once more, fun track with good music and little challenge. 10/10. 

SNES Mario Circuit 3: That one turn is impossible on 200. That, and like Toad Circuit, nothing was added. 0/10. 

N64 Kalimari Desert: You get to ride on the tracks and go inside now! And now there's the challenge of not getting hit by the train in the second half of the second lap and most of the third! The music is amazing too! 10/10! 

DS Waluigi Pinball: Some of these turns are a bit too difficult on 200. But, it's still the same Waluigi Pinball. Even if this track has the same points as Toad Circuit and SNES Mario Circuit 3, at least this track is more iconic than those. 9/10. 

Tour Sydney Spring: I did not like the immediate right turn after the ramp section. In 200, that's hard to pull off. And, that worse part is that it switches for laps two and three. Still, it has great music. 8/10. 

GBA Snow Land: Other than the fabled ramp, I personally liked everything about it. It's a total upgrade from the original. 9/10. 

Wii Mushroom Gorge: There are some turns which I am not a fan of in 200. It's the same problem with Sky Garden. Also, I'm iffy about its return in 8. It's a fine track, but there are other courses from Wii that could've had this spot. 5/10.

Sky-High Sundae: The only anti-gravity track. The railing used as boosters confused me. Also, that last turn on the track is not 200 friendly. 7/10.   

Overall: 58/80. It has so much better stuff than the first wave. My favorite has to be N64 Kalimari Desert, while the worst is definitely SNES Mario Circuit 3.

Top 16 Tracks I would not want to see in MK8D: 

16. Wii Luigi Circuit 

A basic and boring track. Toad Circuit and Mario Circuit 3 proved that they aren’t needed here. 

15. SNES Choco Island 1      

Choco Mountain is better than this. It’s just plain.

14. SNES Choco Island 2  

Even though it was Tour ideas, Choco Mountain is still superior. Plus, turning on these Islands would be a nightmarte on 200. RMXs or not, I don’t like these tracks.

13. DS Desert Hills  

It’s not really offensive, but those turns won’t help on 200. Unless they made trick pads on here. Dry Dry Desert is better anyways.

12. DS Delfino Square  

Those turns in town won’t be 200 friendly. I'm just iffy on this track. I'd rather play Sunshine Airport. 

11. 3DS Wario Shipyard  

It’s maybe the worst Wario idea out of the entire series. I’d say N64 Wario Stadium is more fun than this track. 

10. GBA Rainbow Road   

Personal; just wait until 9.    

9. SNES Ghost Valley 2 

The gimmick is okay, but I’m not sure if it’s 200 friendly. Hopefully, it will have a RMX soon. 

8. SNES Bowser Castle 3  

The turns won’t help on 200. But, it’s not the worst Bowser's Castle of the SNES.

7. GCN DK Mountain 

Imagine 200 on this track. Besides, there is a better DK track to work with now. 

6. GBA Boo Lake 

The turns and falling off the track. Again, if this game got a Tour upgrade, it would be fine. 

5. SNES Ghost Valley 3  

Harder than the other ghost tracks from SNES. But, it's not the worst.  

4. N64 Banshee Boardwalk  

More ghostly tracks! This one has sharp turns and less guard rails.

3. GBA Broken Pier 

More frights! More danger! Less guard rails, and an odd gimmick!  

2. SNES Bowser Castle 2   

The turns and the dead end. This is the worst designed Mario Kart track.

1.    Wii Moonview Highway 

This is my least favorite city track, and the drivers are obnoxious. Imagine playing this on 200.  

------------------------------------------------------------- 

Top 16 Tracks I would want to see in MK8D  

16. DS Figure-8 Circuit     

Out of all the circuit tracks, this would’ve been a no brainer. Even though this one of the most boring circuit designs, it would've fit the 8 theme of this game!

15. DS Airship Fortress 

Cloutop Cruise kind of used Sky Garden and Airship Fortress; but if Sky Garden is in the game, why can’t Airship Fortress?! 

14. SNES Vanilla Lake 1

It’s totally different from the original. (I was looking at the RMX.) Why it isn’t higher is because of Snow Land. 

13. GBA Cheep Cheep Island   

There’s another Cheep Cheep track, but the Tour ideas are fun on this track. I want this over Shy Guy Beach. 

12.    3DS Rock Rock Mountain 

Straight up fun, even if the first turns might be a little tricky on 200. Plus, the Tour stuff looks amazing too! Plus, I like the music.

11. GCN Daisy Cruiser   

By the way, what’s with the current absence of underwater tracks? This has to be a no brainer! 

10. GCN Wario Colosseum    

I know DS Wario Stadium is in this game, but this track is more hype and a lot more chaotic! And since Waluigi Pinball is one of the best tracks ever, I even put this over Waluigi Stadium. I know this would mean three Wario tracks, but this would help settle the Double Dash tracks that need an overhaul before 9 came out. Imagine the music for this track! 

9. Wii Maple Treeway

The pumpkins are a nice touch! Some of the turns might be a problem on 200. The big band thing would be good for this track's song! 

8. Wii Koopa Cape 

The Tour ideas really helped with the fun design of this already fun track. It even has the underwater stuff! And yes, I put this over Koopa Troopa Beach. 

7. GBA Bowser’s Castle 4   

I just want the GBA tracks to end on a high note. Even if this could be the hardest Booster Pass track. I want to hear a big band version of this song!

6. SNES Ghost Valley 1 

Out of all the SNES Tour tracks, this one isn’t the worst. Please use the RMX courses, Nintendo! Or a combination of both! 

5. 3DS Maka Wuhu

It started the section idea. Please include it. (3DS won’t get more tracks because they blew it with Toad Circuit, the most worthless addition to 8.)

4. GCN Mushroom City 

It’s the best city track ever. It inspired Tour, I’m pretty sure on that.  Plus, imagine the music on this track alone! 

3. Wii Toad’s Factory 

If only it was in Tour. Still, it’s really fun to drive on, and it would be perfect for tricks. Imagine the song for this game too!

2.    Wii DK Summit  

I thought about DK Pass, but the current stuff on Tour surpass DK Pass’. And because of that, it’d be more fun than DK Pass and DK Mountain. 

(Yes, Wii now has 6 tracks on the Booster Pass, but their first two showings weren’t amazing. I would like to try more Wii tracks for the game’s sake.)

1.    GBA Sunset Wilds 

Honestly, this should’ve been in the Booster Pass instead/before Kalimari Desert. It would have the same concept, but the change of time would’ve been wonderful to see in 8D. Plus, don't forget the song! 

------------------------------------------------ 

For context: I'm eliminating most tracks that are similar to tracks already in the game, or there are track designs that we've seen already in Mario Kart 8. For example: 

Since Moo Moo Meadows is in the game, Moo Moo Farm is out. 

Peach Circuit won't get in because GBA Mario Circuit already is. 

Luigi's Mansion won't get in because of Twisted Mansion. 

Donut Plains 1 won't get in because of Donut Plains 3. 

That is all subject to change if proven wrong for the next few pass tracks. There are exceptions like the myriad of circuit tracks. 

The Tour tracks are more likely to get in because they're hip.

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this month we get another sneak peek of the Wave 3 DLC for MK8DX, I am uncertain early this month but after Pokemon Scarlet and Violet releases on November 18th, we're gonna most likely see some peek at Wave 3.

I know Nintendo want to give the Pokemon company time early this month to advertise their new Pokemon mainline game and putting in a sneak peak, when showing what wave is would be better so since I still think Wave 3 will release sometime next month, (around the game awards or after 8th) showing a little after of that wave after Nov 18th is smart to build more awareness and some little hype to its release sometime next month. Unless and I think it is not likely nothing is shown off this month and all will be revealed and release sometime next month.

Currently we only know 2 of the 8 course coming in Wave 3, so showing the rest of the 6 next month near release sort of sound tortuous so they will share the other 2 after Nov 18 and the last 4 next month with the release.

Let's see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh - was just about to post the twitter post mywelf

Regardless, nice to see Maple Treeway back and really awesome they brought the 3DS Rainbow Road back

Rock Rock Mountain isn’t a bad choice either - I don’t really remember Peach Gardens, but mot a bad choice either

Really liked that track in the 3DS game - probably one of my favorites alongside the GCN and updated N64 Rainbow Road

Crossing my fingers they bring the GCN Rainbow Road over

Kinda hope they bring the Wuhu courses from the 3DS game over - those would ve nice to play again 

Berlin, London and Merry Mountain I’m looking forward to trying - those courses look really nice - really prefer playing the tour tracks in MK8 over Tour

Couldn’t really get into the mobile game too much

Boo lake looks quite nice too

Though makes me wonder as of now, of which courses haven’t been brought to MK8?

And when this comes out, 3 more waves to go…

Also haven’t tried online yet - maybe I’ll have to do that sometime- been meaning to, just haven’t yet

Edited by Shadow118
On 11/1/2022 at 2:59 PM, DLurkster said:

I think this month we get another sneak peek of the Wave 3 DLC for MK8DX, I am uncertain early this month but after Pokemon Scarlet and Violet releases on November 18th, we're gonna most likely see some peek at Wave 3.

I know Nintendo want to give the Pokemon company time early this month to advertise their new Pokemon mainline game and putting in a sneak peak, when showing what wave is would be better so since I still think Wave 3 will release sometime next month, (around the game awards or after 8th) showing a little after of that wave after Nov 18th is smart to build more awareness and some little hype to its release sometime next month. Unless and I think it is not likely nothing is shown off this month and all will be revealed and release sometime next month.

Currently we only know 2 of the 8 course coming in Wave 3, so showing the rest of the 6 next month near release sort of sound tortuous so they will share the other 2 after Nov 18 and the last 4 next month with the release.

Let's see how it goes.

Ha ha.

I was half right when it comes to after the release of Pokemon S/V, that we will hear more news of Wave 3 DLC for MK8DX. Just didn't anticipated the video after Pokemon would show all the course but I guess that was a possibility. As for the release date, I think most knew it would be December in how this was being released and how the next 3 will released as well made sense too. No issues of course releasing December 7th, (Not much earlier than I thought so that makes it even better) can't take credit for what most ppl thought Wave 3 would release sometime in December.

Now the only course and this is the only one out of all the waves released so far... I would do without Rock Rock Mountain from MK7, I feel like I played on there to death so it by that association is the most boring selection of the waves released so far. Like I can't think of any so far that comes close how boring Rock Rock Mountain is and I though that went to Toad Circuit on MK7, lol no that definitely goes to Rock Rock Mountain.

Rainbow Road MK7 is possibly the most prettiest track in MK8. Like, it is a good course but man is it pretty, can't wait to race on that!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass Wave 3 Brings Merry Mountain Mayhem with Eight Additional Courses on Dec. 7 - News - Nintendo Official Site

Updated OP with the information.

London and Berlin tracks look to be the weakest here but I haven't played them, so I am going off more what I think based on the prior incarnations of the ones I have played.

Two that grab my attention immediately are Boo Lake and Merry Mountain.  Boo Lake because of how the water is incorporated into the spookiness of the track--comes off better than the original IMO.  Merry Mountain had always looked cool to me from its initial trailer.  MK7's Rainbow Road is one I can't wait to play and it would be #3 hype for me.

• purple_beard changed the title to Mario Kart 8 DLX +48 (aka Booster Course Pass) Discussion Wave 3 12/7
43 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

12/7 is a drop on a Wednesday, who would want to give it a spin that night before MK8 nights?

Normally, I would sit out but seeing that the next is 12/8 The Game Awards and I won't be on for MK8 night that night, I'll be up to go the night prior to race on these tracks.

Just let me know the time.  Most likely it will be up 8-10pm ET so I'll let you know when its up so we can go.

22 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Normally, I would sit out but seeing that the next is 12/8 The Game Awards and I won't be on for MK8 night that night, I'll be up to go the night prior to race on these tracks.

Just let me know the time.  Most likely it will be up 8-10pm ET so I'll let you know when its up so we can go.

Yeah, they could go live at 12am or 7-9pm depending on how Nintendo rolls.  Might have to wait till they give the time window.

• 2 weeks later...

@DLurkster @TKrazyO @alienboyva @Surge135 @The Albraskan @TheBarkinHyena

I plan to go online at some point tomorrow night to race the new stuff.  If we want to all race around the same time I'm thinking 9 or 10pm for an hour (or two--I'd have to dip at 11).

However, I am planning on getting some Christmas decorations going up around 6-7...  so I plan to post a follow up around 8:30 about how my time is working/looking.  I am also game to race on Thursday night during the normal MK time.