nft craziness!

I don't fully understand what NFTs are. I don't know what really makes them different from say a skin in Fortnite that a person can buy, aside from being more accessible not being tied down to anything in particular aside from the internet and the market around them being much more expensive. It comes across as the higher class version of what has been in video games for years now with more complicated terminology. 

1 minute ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

I don't fully understand what NFTs are. I don't know what really makes them different from say a skin in Fortnite that a person can buy, aside from being more accessible not being tied down to anything in particular aside from the internet and the market around them being much more expensive. It comes across as the higher class version of what has been in video games for years now with more complicated terminology. 

I am by no means an expert but it's like a "unique digital asset" that can be bought, sold, or traded.

26 minutes ago, Ithrak Utopia said:

Imagine you were at an art museum displaying the Mona Lisa and said to yourself, "Wow, this is such a great painting, I sure would like to own this!" So then a man wearing a nice suit came out and said "If you pay me $65 million dollars, I can burn down an unspecified amount of the Amazon Rainforest and give you this receipt of purchase." So then you paid him the $65 million dollars, and then he said "Here's your receipt, thanks for your purchase", and then went to an unmarked supply closet in the back of the museum where a baby Jaguar was being kept in a cage. So then he opened up the cage, grabbed the baby Jaguar by the neck, slit its throat, dipped his finger into its blood, and wrote "Mona Lisa currently owned by Ithrak Utopia" on a sticky note, which he then posted behind some brooms. So if anybody ever wanted to know who owns the Mona Lisa, they'd have to find this specific closet in this specific hallway and look behind these specific brooms. So then you said, "That's nice, but can I take the Mona Lisa home now?" and then he said "Oh God, no! Are you stupid?! You only bought this receipt that says you own it; you can't buy the real Mona Lisa itself, you idiot! You CAN take this, though." and then he gave you a replica print of the Mona Lisa in a cardboard tube that's sold in the museum gift shop. Also, at no point in time has the man selling you the receipt of purchase ever actually owned the Mona Lisa, nor has he ever been affiliated with Leonardo Da Vinci or his estate.

Unfortunately, if this doesn't make any sense to you, or you can't understand how any logical person would be happy with this exchange, you've understood it perfectly.