My first convention as an exhibitor: San Diego Comic-Con 2021 Special Edition

DNLINK

Hey guys,

Haven't been here in ages. Guess not since my dad died. Anyway, after dealing with a lot of sadness and anger I tried to get back into painting. Though there was a lot less motivation. I think I only finished two pieces since he passed away. 

Right after Thanksgiving San Diego Comic-Con International decided to do a lower scale convention. I decided to put myself through a trial by fire and give it a go. If I could make a decent success of it, great I can look at other conventions in the future. If not, then maybe it just wasn't for me. So I applied and made an inventory of prints. 

I went into that Artist's Alley thinking I was in over my head. I was surrounded by people who I saw were professionals, veterans, experienced vendors and just plain better artists. That first day I was too nervous to start any chats because I remembered things people said about my work. That it was mediocre, that at some point I demonstrated I was never going to get any better, or that I shouldn't expect to be commercially successful. Yet, over the course of the three days I got a decent amount of customers and a good return on my investment. On top of that, several of my customers said my prices were too cheap. Several even insisted on paying more. A few professionals came over to talk with me and asked about my work and asked what other conventions I exhibited at before. A rep from a comic group called Manta looked through my catalog and chatted with me, asking if I did digital art. They thought my work looked good and they're looking for comic content creators. I also got inquiries for commissions or if I'd consider illustrating storybooks. 

So, all in all, I did pretty good. Aside from the profit I made, I'm a lot more confident and looking into doing other events in the futures. Lots of people said if I did well at Special Edition, I should do much better at the full sized SDCC since it'll have much more foot traffic and I'm hoping to get my place in there. Admittedly, I was selling on the sidewalk outside the convention center the last few years making some extra spending money to use at the con. I even did that outside TwitchCon. A lot of my customers back then said I should be selling inside, but I always shrugged it off saying, "I'm not good enough for that, yet." Right now I'm on a waiting list for SDCC 2022, since I registered late. If I don't get into that, I'll at least be registered for 2023... and on the sidewalk again for 2022. 

Oh yeah, for context on that fourth pic, I didn't have a neighbor on my right. So I shamelessly took over that table to extend my shop. 

20211124_194027.jpg

20211124_195037.jpg

20211126_112707.jpg

20211128_094346.jpg

IMG_20220107_105744_755.jpg

First of all, your work is pretty darn good and your style is distinctive enough that it's recognizable without completely overwriting the characters that your work is based on.  I'm not an artist at all so I don't know if my appraisal means much here but I still wanted to say something about that.

Secondly, that is awesome that you had such a great time and got some first hand exposure taking the leap and coming away with a great experience.  If you aren't doing so already it would be a great idea to link up with some of the people you may have met and ingrain yourself into that community.  Especially when it comes to cons most people are usually incredibly supportive even when offering constructive criticism and support.

This was a really good thread to pop into, a really nice feel good subject to read about!  Great job!

I've always loved your art, you even inspired and helped me make my own Wind Waker scroll, which always impresses whenever anyone sees it. 

Glad to hear you did well both financially and otherwise.

Also, holy shit $5 poster prints?! AND Buy 2 Get 1?!

...what do you have left in stock and do you ship?

On 1/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, Kezay said:

First of all, your work is pretty darn good and your style is distinctive enough that it's recognizable without completely overwriting the characters that your work is based on.  I'm not an artist at all so I don't know if my appraisal means much here but I still wanted to say something about that.

Secondly, that is awesome that you had such a great time and got some first hand exposure taking the leap and coming away with a great experience.  If you aren't doing so already it would be a great idea to link up with some of the people you may have met and ingrain yourself into that community.  Especially when it comes to cons most people are usually incredibly supportive even when offering constructive criticism and support.

This was a really good thread to pop into, a really nice feel good subject to read about!  Great job!

Thanks! I was finally able to let go of my inhibitions about selling at a con. And like you said, it might be a good idea to get more involved in that community. Seems like the more experienced exhibitors like to talk about other shows and help each other network. 

And I appreciate any support, especially from people who have observed my work since I first started putting it online and watch me improve over the years. 

19 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I've always loved your art, you even inspired and helped me make my own Wind Waker scroll, which always impresses whenever anyone sees it. 

Glad to hear you did well both financially and otherwise.

Also, holy shit $5 poster prints?! AND Buy 2 Get 1?!

...what do you have left in stock and do you ship?

I've always been proud of the hand I had in you making your scroll. I barely finished telling you the process and you go out and make your own just like that, faster than I anticipated. Surprised me how determined you were to have one in your collection too. You know, Jo-Ann's is selling bolts of fabric with the Wind Waker scroll printed all over it?

Anyway, I digress. I still have posters of everything. I can show my full catalog later. I also sold canvas prints, which better emphasized the hand-painted look of my pieces. I think you'd like this Zelda piece though. I painted it after I finished the remake. I wanted the celebrate the original and the remake in one piece. 

Oh, and I do ship. 

IMG_20191210_015028_123.jpg

Edited by DNLINK
On 1/11/2022 at 5:41 AM, DNLINK said:

I've always been proud of the hand I had in you making your scroll. I barely finished telling you the process and you go out and make your own just like that, faster than I anticipated. Surprised me how determined you were to have one in your collection too. You know, Jo-Ann's is selling bolts of fabric with the Wind Waker scroll printed all over it?

Anyway, I digress. I still have posters of everything. I can show my full catalog later. I also sold canvas prints, which better emphasized the hand-painted look of my pieces. I think you'd like this Zelda piece though. I painted it after I finished the remake. I wanted the celebrate the original and the remake in one piece. 

Oh, and I do ship. 

IMG_20191210_015028_123.jpg

That's an awesome piece!

Yeah, I pretty much share the same sentiments as Kezay and your style of art and distinctiveness. It's funny video games is a form of art and those who want look more into arts beyond video games, will find that we do have something to offer or share a comment. So no one should not doubt what they say about art if they played video games as long as they do. Yes, art is subjective but that still again shouldn't stop anyone from expressing they way want to express. I should know with a sister in art of the theatrics, literally.

As for ppl commenting on paying you more is not only a compliment to art but what ppl expect of certain a calibre. You just saying that also means you are humble about your work as well. Once you get acclimated this community and such, I suggest to you put your best foot out there for your value of your art. Only you know the value of your self worth and what you produce. So sell what you believe its worth and it will all work out.

Glad to hear you are doing well too.