Video Games Finished in 2022

EH_STEVE

8/18- Kirby’s Dream Buffet for Nintendo Switch 

Not sure if this counts because it’s a short racing game, but it’s so much fun! It’s not Air Ride, but it’s so cute and creative! I won three victories as of now! Yes, the fifteen bucks price might be… odd, but I personally don’t mind. It’s Kirby. The dude celebrated its 30th birthday. I don’t care, just swallow my money Kirby! 

• 2 weeks later...

Realizing now that I forgot to update my completed games list for all of August:

- Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (Switch)

Really enjoyed diving back into Monster Hunter Rise with Sunbreak. The new features are cool but mostly I just wanted more monsters, more quests, and it certainly delivers there. Although I will say the Follower quests are a great addition.

- Live A Live (Switch)
Honestly my opinion of the game kind of went up and down while playing, but by the end I was totally on board. I didn't love some of the chapters but the overall concept of the game I really enjoyed.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (Switch)
One of the better side-scrolling beat 'em up revivals; clearly has an old-school feel but doesn't have the same tedium. Maybe a little too easy with a group since you can recharge your power attack so easily, though.

- Endling: Extinction is Forever (Switch)
Nice visuals and an emotional story, but the gameplay just feels ill-conceived. The gameplay loop isn't rewarding or engaging and the time/hunger structure adds very little to the experience.

- Time on Frog Island (Switch)
A cute, relaxed kind of adventure game, but ultimately too basic and repetitive for my taste.

- Restless Soul (Switch)

Really charming joke-filled game. Definitely got some chuckles out of me.

- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Switch)
Enjoyed the twisty narrative structure, even if I felt some of the stories fell a bit flat. Could've used more of the RTS combat for my taste.

- PAC-MAN WORLD Re-PAC (Switch)
Seems like a faithful recreation of a 90s 3D platformer, which also means it's a little bit bland and clunky.

- Tinykin (Switch)
Fun little game, definitely give it a try if you're looking for something Pikmin-like (but with enough unique features that it's not a Pikmin clone).

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - arcade (Switch)
Good old fashioned repetitive arcade beat 'em up. Still has that turtley charm though.

9/12- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time for Nintendo Switch 

Still one of the best beat-'em-ups ever, even if I think Shredder's Revenge is a bit better because of how it improves on everything from the series. Still, after... 30 years?!... This game is a gem!  

9/12- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (Arcade) for Nintendo Switch 

I see where TMNT IV got some of its ideas... but it's not as much fun as Turtles in Time, both versions. 

9/12- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time for Nintendo Switch 

It's got online play, but... it's not as good as the SNES version. It's a lot more colorful and it has more SFX, but the SNES version had better and more bosses. I don't know why this game had online play and not the obviously superior SNES version.  

9/12- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES) for Nintendo Switch 

Ow, my f'ing left thumb.  

9/13- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) for Nintendo Switch 

Pardon my French, but who created this shit?    

9/26- Live A Live for Nintendo Switch

Spoiler

Live A Live is one of the biggest cult classics on the SNES, and for a good reason. Like some of the biggest SNES games that never left Japan until much later, such as Dragon Quest V, Trials of Mana, and Star Fox 2, Live A Live was one of those. Nearly thirty years later, Live A Live finally made it to the current generation systems. I never heard of this game until the late 2010s. I am an RPG guy myself, but rarely heard this game come up anywhere. Square Enix is in some kind of 90s renaissance, since not only did everyone get the Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remasters, but a full-on remake of Live A Live. I wondered what kind of RPG this was, and how it worked. 

Live A Live has an interesting narrative. Like Octopath Traveler and Dragon Quest IV, there are several protagonists. The catch here is that each protagonist lives in a different time period/era. I’ll go in what I think is the chronological order of each protagonist’s story. 

Prehistory: Pogo is a teenager caveman living with his best friend and ape-like creature Gori. They live in a cave with other members of his tribe, including the tribe elder, and go hunting for meat. A female princess or whatever named Beru escapes captivity from a tribe trying to sacrifice her and their leader, Zaki. Upon finding Beru among some haystacks, Pogo is immediately infatuated with her. Beru, Pogo, and Gori fend off Zaki and his goons when the villains enter the cave; but the tribe elder banish the three when the elder is shocked to learn the princess was hiding in his cave unbeknownst to him. When the three decide to take shelter in a cave and sleep for the night, Beru is kidnapped once again, and Pogo and Gori go off to rescue her. Pogo and Gori find the villains’ whereabout, and Pogo takes on Zaki head on. During the fight, however, a large tyrannosaurus destroys the building Pogo, Gori, Beru, Zaki, and Zaki’s master was on, and all five fall down. Upon waking up, Zaki’s master tries to fight the creature, but he is assumed killed fighting it. The four agree to fight together to take on the beast, and eventually kill it. Afterwards, Pogo and Beru fall in love, Zaki makes amends with the tribe elder, and Gori falls in love with his female “fan club”. 

Imperial China: Earthen Heart Shifu, a master of kung fu, is old, and needs to carry on the teachings and skills of what he learned. He goes and finds three disciples, Lei Kugo (a former bandit), Hong Hakka (a big man who is always hungry), and Yun Jou (a man who needs money and food for his grandma). After some days of training, some trainees of the Indomitable Fist attack Shifu’s house and kills two of the disciples. The shifu and the surviving disciple strike back at the Indomitable Fist’s headquarters, and defeat their leader Ou Di Wan Lee. After all of the battles that take place, the shifu dies, and the last survivor takes on his mantle.   

Twilight of Edo Japan: A ninja named Oboromaru is carried out the rescue a prisoner of utmost importance, and assassinate the master of the Ode Castle, Lord Ode Iou. How the chapter turns out depends on how many people Oboromaru has killed on his way to Lord Ode Iou.   

The Wild West: A wanderer named the Sundown Kid is on the run, as he has a bounty on this head. He meets up with a bounty hunter and Sundown Kid’s nemesis, Mad Dog, who challenges him to duel. After hilariously getting away from Mad Dog, he comes across the nearest town, Success. However, goons from the Crazy Bunch gang disrupt the peace of the town; to the point that the sheriff is depressed and his son outride hates that he doesn’t have the courage to stand up to the gang. Even though the Sundown Kid and a returning and spiteful Mad Dog take care of some of the members, the rest of the gang and their leader, O. Dio, will come at dawn of the next day. With no other option, the Sundown Kid and Mad Dog waste no time coming up with traps before the gang arrives, with the help of the villagers. When dawn arrives, the Crazy Bunch arrive with O. Dio. With or without his goons, O. Dio is eventually defeated by the Sundown Kid and Mad Dog. Still, the two gunslingers have to duel it out, and the ending depends on what happens next. 

Present Day: A martial artist named Masaru Takahara wants to be the best warrior ever by challenging the best fighters in the world and learning their techniques. He fights seven masters from all over the globe, learns their techniques, and beats them. However, a sinister fighter named Odie O’Bright kills the seven martial artists and plans to kill Masaru too. Masaru wins the fight, and then a challenger wants to fight Masaru. The end. (Note: Max Morgan is obviously a Hulk Hogan rip-off. I’m okay with that, since Hulk Hogan is a horrible person In person, and I want to beat the snot out of him. Actually, all of the fighters resemble wrestlers/martial artists who made it big in Japan during the 80s/90s.) Because I’m a fan of wrestling, I actually liked this simple formula.  

The Near Future: Akira, a psychokinetic male teenager, reminisces the day he found his father killed in the line of duty as a child. He comes across some members of the Crusader Gang, who have been kidnapping children. A man named Lawless, who owns a local taiyaki (maybe teriyaki) business, shows up to help Akira defeat some members. After visiting the Bright Sparks Orphanage he and Kaori, his sickly sister, live in, Akira goes to Doc Tobei, an antiques dealer, to ask him to heal Kaori’s dying turtle, Tarokichi. Instead of healing the turtle with magic, Doc Tobei turns the turtle into a robot using the liquified essence of the turtle. Thanks to the success of the creation of Taroimo, the robot, Doc Tobei gets the ideal to finally revive the Steel Titan, a giant mecha that was made in the far past. However, controlling it is nigh-on impossible, as it needs either a lot of psychokinetic energy or an elevated state of mind. Akira tries to do it, but fails spectacularly. When Akira comes back to the orphanage, members of the Crusaders kidnap one of the orphans. Akira, Taroimo, and Lawless give chase, and save the orphan at a nearby port. It turns out that the Crusaders have been kidnapping children for the Tsukuba Research Facility. The facility, more specifically a cult, is planning on using thousands of souls, erm, “liquified essences” to revive a god named Odeo using the statue of the Great Inko. Akira, Lawless, and Taroimo retreat, and need to find a way to revive Steel Titan before Odeo is revived. Although Kaori tries to sacrifice herself to give Steel Titan enough energy to be controlled, Lawless tries to control the Steel Titan through his own means. He too fails, and wallows in pity at a bar. When the Crusaders burn down the Bright Sparks Orphanage, Akira goes inside to save the orphanage leader and Kaori. Lawless arrives just in time… with the Steel Titan. Doc Tobei however warns Akira that Lawless consumed too much Matango (protein bars but much deadlier it seems). After fending off a few Crusaders, Lawless is on the verge of dying. Akira reads Lawless’ last thoughts; it was Lawless who was the former leader of the Crusaders (who were more anti-establishment more than outright dangerous in the past), and he was the one who killed Akira’s father, a leader of the riot squad. Lawless spent the rest of his life trying to make up for the sins of past; he becoming a taiyaki salesman to give money to the Bright Sparks Orphange, where Akira and Kaori lived, and he forswore being the leader of the Crusaders by fighting against them and stopping their plans. Lawless dies only in the company of Akira. Akira, given more mental strength thanks to Lawless’ undying resolve, is finally able to control the Steel Titan. The Cult of Odeo tries to take down the mecha using military force (one of the cult’s leaders is a general), but the mecha is too powerful. When the cult uses the myriad of souls to revive Odeo, the revived god Odeo and the Steel Titan fight in a battle, similarly to the Zord battles from the Power Rangers shows. Odeo is destroyed, but the giant pool of liquified humans or whatever engulfs the Cult of Odeo. It nearly drowns the Steel Titan and Akira. Somehow miraculously, Akira lives, and the Bright Sparks Orphanage is rebuilt. Akira takes on the mantle of his late friend, and now runs the taiyaki business himself, and now rides Lawless’ motorcycle.     

The Distant Future: A robot with AI is woken up by its designer Kato. Kato gives it some horrible names before settling on Cube. The two and the rest of the crew are on the ship Corgito Ergo Sum. Rachel, the ship’s signaler and the only woman on the ship, broke up with Huey, the head of the cargo and a sci-fi lover, and now is in a relationship with Kirk, the ship’s helmsman and a retro video game fan. The odd one out is Corporal Darthe, who is there to transport the special cargo on board. That special cargo is The Behemoth. Corporal Darthe also loathes Cube, because of his tragic past with machines. There’s also a captain onboard, but he only reacts with the crew indirectly. On the ship’s way to Earth, however, transmissions are somehow lost. Kirk and Kato go outside to find out the problem. Worse news strikes as Kirk’s spacesuit somehow malfunctioned, leaving Kirk to die. Even though most of the crew tries to assess the situation, Rachel has lost it. She blames Huey for Kirk’s death; since she thinks with Kirk gone, she would go back to Huey. But, Kirk dying is still not the worst news. During these events, the Behemoth breaks loose of its confinement, and Rachel almost gets everyone accidentally killed by opening the nearest airlock. When Rachel leaves to save Kirk’s body from The Behemoth, and Huey soon follows after her, both are immediately attacked by it. Huey dies, but Rachel is barely breathing, and put into cryogenic sleep. Kato and Corporal Darthe then go to the captain’s room, where it is discovered that the captain died long ago. The two humans blame each other. The ship goes dark, and The Behemoth chases Cube once more. After Darthe and Cube find Kato attacked by another robot similar to Cube, Darthe destroys the imposter. While Kato lies in his bed because of his injuries, he and Darthe assume the worst: the ship’s AI has gone rogue. The ship’s AI, OD-10 (Decimus), was the one responsible for jamming the communications, releasing The Behemoth, making Kirk’s spacesuit malfunction, killing the captain and using video data of the captain to trick the crew, causing the blackout and removing access to some parts of the ship, and taking control of the other Cube-like robot. Darthe goes to the interface room to shut down the AI, but he needs Cube to find another machine that will also help. (I used the arcade machine Kirk loved so much, and I didn’t expect what would happen next. Cube fights the AI in the arcade machine and removes the AI completely.) OD-10’s directive was to pilot the crew safely to Earth, but it never understood the negative emotions of its passengers. It shuts down forever. After the final coffee exchange between Cube and Darthe happens, Darthe commands the ship back to Earth. Kato is in the medicine bay being treated for his injuries, while Rachel dies while in her cryo-pod. (It is assumed OD-10 turned off the machine during the chaos.) Cube and Darthe see Earth in the distance. Even though I never played it, it reminded me of Dead Space. Maybe there was some influence this game had on that. 

BUT, WAIT! There are two more chapters to go!  

Middle Ages: A knight named Oersted becomes the champion of the kingdom of Lucrece after beating his friend Streibough, and is to be married to princess Alathea. But, on the night of the feast, a minion of The Lord of Dark captures her and takes her to the Archon’s Roost. The king tells of the legend of Hasshe the Hero who defeated The Lord of Dark ages ago. After his battle with The Dark Lord, Hasshe retired in reclusion. On his way to rescue his bride and to find Hasshe, Oersted is accompanied by the mage Streibough. Even though the duo found Hasshe, Hasshe wants to be left alone, because he thinks humans have become too sinful for their own good. Still, when Hasshe’s friend, a priest named Uranus, tries to reason with Hasshe about the good qualities of humanity and calls out Hasshe for being a coward, Hasshe joins the fight. Even though Hasse still has reservations for humanity, he doesn’t like being called a coward. The four travel to the Archon’s Roost, and find The Lord of Dark. HOWEVER, Hasshe believes they only just fought a minion, and sadly because of the arduous fight, he dies. There’s some commotion, and Oersted and Uranus leave the place. (Streibough is thought to have died during that time.) When the two return to the king’s palace, he is shocked that Oersted didn’t bring back the princess, believing that she might have died. When Oersted wakes up during the night, he finds and takes down some darkness. But, to his surprise, none other than the king falls down… dead. The royal guards misunderstand the situation, and believe Oersted to be The Lord of Dark. Oersted and Uranus are put behind bars, but Uranus uses the last of his magic to free Oersted. Uranus pleads Oersted to find a way to clear his name. Although Oersted goes to the Archon’s Roost to defeat The Lord of Dark, he finds his former friend Streibough. Streibough became bitter and jealous that Oersted was chosen to marry Alathea over him, so he concocted a plan to ruin Oersted by killing the king. The two fight now as enemies, with Oersted still coming on top. After he dies, Alathea… grieves over Streibough’s death and commits suicide. Even though Uranus and to some extent Hasshe believed in humanity, the death of the king and the demonizing by the kingdom of Lucrece, and the apparent traitorous acts of his former friend and former bride, made Oersted snap. From that day on, he would no longer be Oersted. He would forever be named Odio. The Lord of Dark.   

The Dominion of Hate: 

Odio, The Lord of Dark, transports the seven heroes to his dominion and the fallen kingdom of Lucrece. The seven heroes come together and find the sword that once fell the same Lord of Dark, Brion. The seven find Archon’s Roost, and come across Odio. The seven come out victorious, but Odio uses his power to revive the seven other villains. Each hero battles their nemesis, but Odio still will not give up. Although Odio tries to send the heroes to darkness, they push through, eventually reach Oersted. As the heroes seem to have no hope, Oersted breaks free from the darkness and finally finishes Odio and his beats his hatred. Odio/Oersted vanishes, and the seven heroes continue from where they left off in their stories. Although Odie/Oersted warns the seven that there will still be hatred and sin within and inside the souls of humanity, the seven still think there will still be hope and faith in humanity. 

THE END.  

… OR… 

IF THE PLAYER CHOOSES OERSTED/ODIO, HE FIGHTS THE CHOSEN HEROES AND DEFEATS WITH HIS MINIONS AND MAKES THE APOCALYPSE! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

*Cough* Ahem. 

Square is known for crazy games, especially ones including time as a plot point; but Live A Live is one of the strangest but strangely amazing RPGs I’ve ever played.   

Live A Live is really an incredible game to look at. From the prehistoric wastelands to the sterile cold environment of a spaceship of a distant future, each place and character look wonderfully detailed. And, the voice acting is well done. To be specific in one point, for Prehistory, there’s no actual dialogue. The characters in that era make noises and groan and don’t have any made up language. All emotion is expressed through thought bubbles, expressions, and movement. Because of that, the storytelling is simple, and I appreciate that attention to detail. It was rather jarring how much “language” this game used for a T rated game, and how much it could get away with. Though, because of games like Persona 5 and Bayonetta 2, I guess I’m oddly used to it at this point.  

And, the music… oh I love it! Kiss of Jealousy sounds nothing like it should be in a prehistoric setting, but this jazz/blues song works well as a battle song, like Miror B’s theme from Poke’mon Colosseum. The Steel Titan gets its own song with its own instrumental version too, and they’re something straight out of an anime. Then, there’s the sound design of the Distant Future. Except for a few moments and in the arcade game, there’s no music. It feels like Dead Space with its ambiance. It’s sad that the boss music is only reserved for the final boss of each chapter.  

Live A Live has unique gameplay elements to each era, but here are some notable similarities for every era: 

1.    Each character has their own equipment, including armor and five slots for accessories. 
2.    Each character can rotate the positions of their starting line-up or so. 
3.    The combat takes place on a grid; but unlike most strategy games: 
4.    The turn order of playable characters and enemies are dependent on the speed/agility of the characters, and some charge time of some notable attacks.   
5.    A turn order bar is placed below each character to designate their turn order. It works similar to the ATB bar, but is entirely dependent on the actions of a character/enemy.  
6.    Moving to another grid, and waiting also affects the turn order.  
7.    Passing to another character when their turn order bar is sometimes ideal. 
8.    When a character/enemy charges an attack, it can be interrupted. I don’t know if it’s by a character’s/enemy’s vulnerability, but it happens. The character/enemy can attempt to charge it again, but I think the wait time is slower because of the interruption. 
9.    Each character/enemy has a weakness to exploit. Unlike Poke’mon, however, there’s not much elemental attacks. (Edit: This is from playing Prehistory. Subject to change.)  
10.    Each character/enemy also has resilience to some attacks.
11.    Some attacks can only hit one target, some can hit multiple, while others can have a long ranging AOE.     
12.    Some attacks can only hit once, while other attacks hit multiple times, like Bone Rush from Poke’mon. 
13.     Some attacks have status effects, and some attacks place such effects on multiple tiles. The effects on the tiles eventually disappear. Be warned that if a playable character is on said tile, they too take damage, unless they have an immunity to it. If immune, they can instead heal damage. 
14.    There is a menu for attacking, and a menu for other stuff, like using items and the flee option.  
15.    Like most RPGs, characters get experience and items after each battle, and level up when they get the exact amount of experience needed. (It seems like 100 EXP needed for each level. As for how EXP is distributed, even I don’t know how that works.) During some level ups, characters get new abilities.  
16.    Each character’s HP goes back to full after each fight, so recovery items aren’t needed after each battle.   
17.    Each area has goodies to find that are “sparkling”.  
18.    There are no places to buy equipment and items. Sparkles indicate items and equipment. 
19.    For some enemies, go after the leader. If the leader falls, so do the other enemies.   
20.    Running away from battles is a good idea from time to time. 

And, that’s basically all the similarities. Next are the era’s unique gameplay mechanics: 

Prehistory: 

1.    Pogo and Gori can sniff to locate enemies, characters, and items.  
2.    Pogo and Gori have interesting attacks using their butts and poop. And, they shout, hit stuff with their weapons, among other crazy things. Gori’s fart attack is especially weird, considering there’s a weird happy expression covering his butt. I wonder if that’s some weird censoring.   

Imperial China: 

1.    Shifu has three disciples to train. In those three days, he can spare with them to raise their physical defense, speed, or physical attack up to four times a day.  
2.    Shifu is basically the main playable character until the last third way through. He spars with his disciples. 
3.    Only one disciple will be playable by the last third. It is highly recommended Shifu only trains with them. It is also imperative that the other two who will die do not get any equipment. Or the equipment will be gone forever. 
4.    Upon leveling up, each disciple will learn a skill of Shifu’s. 
5.    Upon leveling up further, each disciple will have their own unique attack. 
6.    The last disciple will take on the final boss. When it is time, use the big attack Shifu gave you. Around 300 HP is when one should use it. 
7.    The last disciple will be the one on the clear screen on the chapter select.  

Twilight of Edo Japan: 

1.    Oboromaru is given the option to kill everyone on his way to Ode Iou, or to spare them. NOTE: Certain events and story beats change depending on what he does. It’s kind of like Undertale. 
2.    Oboromaru can camouflage with his surroundings to confuse the enemy.  
3.    There’s a password system to allow Oboromaru to enter certain places. The password changes from “river” to “origin” and vice-versa with each toll of the bell.   
4.    Oboromaru can effortlessly flee battles, unless they’re minibosses and bosses. This is crucial of one wants a pacifist enemy. 
5.    Demon enemies, ghosts, and puppets, and the bosses, do not affect the kill count. 
6.    There are traps designed to put Oboromaru in a jail cell, but he can easily get out of it.
7.    There will be puppets and other things that can counterattack. Be cautious. 
8.    Obomaru can get the best ending and items if he spares everyone. BUT, THERE ARE CERTAIN THINGS TO DO AND NOT TO DO WHEN TRYING TO ACHIEVE IT. DO NOT GO UNDERGROUND THE RESCUE THE PRSIONER BEFORE FINDING LORD ODE IOU. LOCATE AND ACTIVATE THE MIMIC DOLL TO DESTROY THE ??? BEFORE LORD ODE IOU’S DORE. GET ALL OF THE GEAR AND ITEMS THAT DON’T REQUIRE MURDERING HUMAN BEINGS, AND ELIMINATE ANY DEMON AND GET ENCOUNTERS WITH THE OBSESSIVE MAID OR WHATEVER TO GET ENOUGH EXPERIENCE.    

The Wild West: 

1.    The Sundown Kid and Mad Dog use guns. 
2.    The two are tasked with finding items, some of which are traps needed to slow down the Crazy Bunch. 
3.    There is a strict time limit, as after eight bells, the Crazy Bunch will appear at dawn. 
4.    It is imperative to search every nook and cranny, as some traps are hidden in well-hidden places.  
5.     The Townspeople excel at different tasks. Use each one carefully. 
6.    A few villagers can have two tasks before the eight bells commence.  
7.    Neither the Sundown Kid or Mad Dog will earn experience. But, they can find equipment. And use it. 
8.    O. Dio has a BS gattling gun. Prepare to find healing items before the fight starts. 
9.    There are only about three to four fights this chapter.   

The Present Day: 

1.    Masaru, like the Sundown Kid, doesn’t level up.
2.    But, he gets skills by being hit by his enemy’s attacks. He can only get each of his enemy’s two signature attacks. 
3.    What attacks each fighter does is random.  
4.    Masaru doesn’t have healing items, and doesn’t get them and equipment; but his Focus ability does heal him, get rid of ailments, and give him status boosts. 
5.    Jackie Iaukea, the Hawaiian Yokozuna, has another secret attack that he can only perform if his arms are disable via an armlock. It does massive damage. 
6.    After all seven fighters are defeated, the game will automatically make the player challenge Odie O’Bright. 
7.    Use two skills and cheese him easily. I forgot which. 
8.    I thought The Wild West was the shortest chapter, but I beat each fighter within an hour.     

The Near Future: 

1.    Akira can read the minds of NPCs using psychokinesis. 
2.    Akira gains more psychokinetic power as he levels up. He’s like Ness from EarthBound. 
3.    Taroimo doesn’t level up, but gets more powerful with robotic enhancements. 
4.    Doc Tobei can upgrade items to make more powerful weapons and equipment. 
5.    Taroimo can use long ranged kicks and punches and can shoot rocks, lasers, bolts of electricity… and goldfish and chickens. Although I thought they were gag jokes, the goldfish and chicken attacks are insanely powerful to my surprise. 
6.    Enemies drop the robotic enhancements and items that Doc Tobei can upgrade. 
7.    Stay on the toilet until one of the orphans doesn’t arrive anymore. Akira gets interesting items brought to him.  
8.    The last boss battle is a mecha vs. god fight or whatever.        

The Distant Future 

1.    Except for the boss fight, Cube doesn’t fight. 
2.    However, he can play Captain Square, an arcade machine. It’s similar to the combat of the other chapters. There is no reward for beating the eight planet levels; just bragging rights. (This game also has Pluto, even if its data is now antiquated.) 
3.    Cube must use his given name, and later a crowbar or such, to access parts of the ship. 
4.    Cube cannot fight The Behemoth. Just run. 

Middle Ages: 

1.    … None really. There are no gimmicks or anything that make this chapter stand out. And that’s okay.  

Dominion of Hate: 

1.    The player chooses who’s the protagonist of the story. 
2.    From there, the player can find the rest of the heroes in the kingdom of Lucrece. HOWEVER: 
3.    Only four of the seven heroes can be in a party at a time. 
4.    There are seven trials which lead to the heroes’ ultimate weapons. 
5.    There are a few mini-bosses, which guard five pieces of armor. 
6.    Be prepared to grind. The final boss and his entourage are no joke.  
7.    Cube can use the weapons Akira gets in his story. 
8.    The weapons and inventory each character gets during their own campaigns come into a huge inventory space, and the EXP and levels gotten as well for each character remains the same. BUT, THE DATA IS BASED ON COMPLETED STORIES. (Let’s say a player went back to another chapter to get a great item that’s rare to get in the first place, and beat a super-boss a few times to finally obtain it. They save the game and move on. And they don’t finish the chapter again. They then spend much time gathering heroes and so on, only to think about the potential of said loot, and why it never showed up yet. When they find out what happened, they just spend about an hour making a team that’s horribly under-leveled to fight the last rounds, but the item is SO POWERFUL AND SO OP, that leveling up and grinding seems really pointless.)  

My favorite chapter was The Near Future. It’s an anime and EarthBound rolled into one brief package. Prehistory and The Present came really close. But, easily my most hated chapter was Twilight of Edo Japan. I wanted to make a Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater pacifist run, but I had no idea of the BS requirements to get the best true ending. I had to restart about five times, quint-rupling the amount of time I only needed to beat that chapter. For some reason, I felt obligated to get the true rewards of each chapter for some reason. The one I kind of dreaded was The Distant Future. Sure, I played some Resident Evil games, but Cube has zero methods of killing its attacker. Most chapters clock in about a little over three hours, with The Wild West and The Present around two hours due to their gameplay mechanics. The last chapter is something else, depending on what the player did.   

Odio and his reincarnations were some of my favorite boss battles ever. Odio was really tough. But, there was one time I used the ULTIMATE WEAPON during those last fights: … a Cola Bottle. The thing can dish out a total of 999 damage, and can be used multiple times. I thought the chicken and goldish launchers were strangely incredible, but nope. The Cola Bottle is a gag weapon turned OP. 

Live A Live with its bite-sized stories might be one of the most cliché RPGs of its time, and its mechanics might be simple, but… it’s one of the most incredible games I’ve ever played. Sure, some parts seem unfair, and there will be plenty of game overs, but when Live A Live delivers, it delivers. I’ve never experienced anything like Live A Live, and I’m grateful that it finally appeared nearly twenty years after its release. 

10/3- Shovel Knight Dig for Nintendo Switch  

*sleeps*

Spoiler

Shovel Knight and its expansions were some of the best moments of the 2010s. From its humble beginnings on Kickstarter, Yacht Club games knew they had a masterpiece on their hands. After about eight years since the first game’s announcement, Yacht Club Games released a sequel called Shovel Knight Dig. Instead of being a platformer akin to Ducktales and Mega Man, it was now going to be a dungeon crawler roguelike akin to the Spelunky games. Instead of trying to go left and right, Shovel Knight would have to dig below to get his treasure. And for the most part, all of the dungeon designs were randomized. What happened in one adventure does not happen in the next. After I realized my situation the next time I went down the cave, I knew that this game would be a curse in disguise. I never played a roguelike game, and to experience something as arduous as this would be a nightmare.  

Shovel Knight was trying to have a nice time looting treasure, or being a farmer or whatever; when his treasure was stolen by a group of knights called the Hexacavtors, and their leader Drill Knight. The knights also stole six different gems which have great power, and one of the treasures Shovel Knight lost was a mysterious crystal. Shovel Knight must take back his treasure and stop the Hexacavtors once and for all. The Hexacators not only include newcomers Spore Knight, Hive Knight, Scrap Knight, and their leader Drill Knight, but also have old veterans Tinker Knight and Mole Knight, the latter getting an interesting redesign. I’m not going to say when this game takes place in the Shovel Knight timeline, but the events that happen are shocking. Shield Knight is one of the companions that helps Shovel Knight in her own way, and she even has a pet owl named Altius. With that said. Shovel Knight Dig has such a simple story that gamers will enjoy. 

Shovel Knight Dig is a visual upgrade from its predecessor. Everyone seems to have much more detail, especially Shovel Knight. The environments also fit with each boss as well, and the same goes for the enemy design and placement and each world’s gimmicks. The only thing that I would complain at times is the frame-rate or performance. When Shovel Knight digs from some checkpoints, there’s some lag or so. And with so much chaos at a time, the performance was very slow at times. It was really distracting. Also, do not close the game during the deaths. The game WILL FREEZE without warning. Even with those nitpicks, the game was really polished. And that goes without saying that the soundtrack is wonderful as usual. Jake Kaufman did his usual charm, and the soundtrack sounded something like out of a Sega Genesis this time. 

Shovel Knight Dig, like I said, is a rogue-like dungeon crawler. That isn’t entirely true. While the mission is to get Shovel Knight deeper and deeper, sometimes he has to traverse left and right. It still maintains some of his platforming roots, like the shovel pogo jumping. Shovel Knight can still bounce off of some objects and enemies. His trademark shovel swipe to hit enemies also returns. New to this game is… well, digging. Shovel Knight can dig left, right, and down. He cannot dig up, so if there’s a treasure or secret up ahead, and the player doesn’t have any other means to get to them… them’s the breaks. Treasure is important, but the best items to obtain as best as possible are cogs. During each checkpoint, a machine will appear. Get three cog-screws or whatever by the checkpoint, and Shovel Knight not only gets treasure, but a choice between health or a relic/accessory. (I’ll get to the latter later.) I personally chose the latter as much as possible.  

So, a player might think that this game might be a breeze because of how much fun Shovel Knight was to newcomers. Not entirely true. Because of the random design of each world, not to mention sometimes cruel enemy and obstacle design, this game is designed to kick player’s butts. Also, for the Switch’s OLED screen, there is not much visibility below the screen, so cheap hits will happen, sadly. There’s incentive to get treasure and defeat enemies as Shovel Knight progresses, but staying at a certain area too long triggers the Omega Saw. The Omega Saw seems harmless, but it normally a 1-Hit Kill nightmare. It doesn’t matter how much HP Shovel Knight has; one hit is a death sentence. Like I said, death will occur a lot.  

But, there are ways for the game to help players. Some secret locations and locations found with various lanterns not only house treasure, but sometimes health and relic magic upgrades appear, as well as chests, relics, keys, and eggs. Keys unlock doors that provide Shovel Knight a health or magic upgrade, and they also unlock passages. At each checkpoint and end of a world, Shovel Knight can choose between two passages that have their RNG layout. At the end of a world, Shovel Knight can also choose which world and boss to face next. (UNLESS ONE PATH IS BLOCKED OFF OR LOCKED. IF THEY ARE BLOCKED OFF, SHOVEL KNIGHT HAS TO TRAVERSE THE ONLY PATH.)  As for the eggs, when they hatch at a nest, they become a companion that can attack enemies on their own will. There are a few things with the companion. If Shovel Knight takes damage, so does the companion. Also, the eggs and the keys will either fall or disappear if Shovel Knight takes damage. If the eggs or keys fall, Shovel Knight can reclaim them. Shovel Knight can only carry up to three of any key and egg combination, so that’s something else to consider. The companions are their own unit, and the game says up to five can be on screen at once. It doesn’t say anything about six or more.    

Some NPCs will reward Shovel Knight with treasure or relics/accessories for finding them in these random secret places.  As for the places with the lanterns, it depends on the color of the lantern itself. Blue often means treasure galore, but there’s also a chance a blue treasure box will show. Inside the box is a man named Chester who allows Shovel Knight to purchase an accessory/relic. Accessories can allow Shield Knight to resist certain elements, nullify spikes, do charged attacks with certain conditions, and etc. Relics are basically weapons/spells that allow Shovel Knight to attack at a distance. They need magic, so use the relics wisely. Some enemies drop magic refills, and some chests and floating bags. But, Chester’s not the only one helping Shovel Knight upgrade his arsenal. New to the series is Master Argus. He’s an undead but powerful warrior that allows Shovel Knight to upgrade his Shovel Blade and give it new moves. My favorite is the move that extends the blade into a whip that extends Shovel Knight’s range. But, he can only do teach techniques if Shovel Knight does certain requirements, like… defeating the Omega Saw. (More on that later.) As for the red lantern, two different characters named Tom Bola or Gastronomole give Shovel Knight health/magic refills and sometimes even upgrades to both. While Shovel Knight can buy such things from Gastronomole, it’s a roulette for Tom Bola. There are also other effects they can do, like turning the health pellets into shields. For every merchant sans Tom Bola, however, they only sell three “things” at each area, and each “thing” is randomized. So, don’t expect a health upgrade each time Shovel Knight sees Gastronomole.     

If there’s anything else that’s left, there is the horse named Hoofman that sells gold keys. These gold keys unlock practice stages that allow Shovel Knight to use a relic with infinite magic use. If Shovel Knight clears the stage, he can use the relic and later buy it if he lost a life. If Shovel Knight loses a life, he can pay 1000 gems for each gold key for another adventure down. The armorer from the first game returns, but now Shovel Knight not only has to find him, but also find his blueprints for each armor set. Luckily, when the armorer is rescued, he gives Shovel Knight hits of where each blueprint is. One of them… is in the Omega Saw and only in a certain world.    

Okay, I’ve been trying to avoid the Omega Saw on purpose, and that’s because it is rather annoying to deal with. Sometimes, there were BS reasons why I couldn’t run away from it, like the stage design being too cruel, or the game randomly glitching on me at times. I don’t know of any technique or rune (besides one; later on that) that can purely stop it. The Omega Saw however is not invincible. A player can defeat it. At the center of the Omega Saw, Shovel Knight can pounce off the central mechanic. On my run with “cheats” it took about five hits. (Not sure about regular mode.) But, what about the health? That’s where the shield transformation comes in. Each hit from the Omega saw only takes away one shield. Get the right health upgrades as well, and there’s no problem taking a few hits to reach the core. Also, one of the “accessories” is basically a revive. So, if Shovel Knight dies once, he revives at the same place with his loadout still there. Once Omega falls, Shovel Knight can claim not only the new armor set (which is one of the best), but can also get a new technique from Master Argus. 

I beat the game after some time. But, that’s when I learned about this game’s true mischievous side. THERE’S A SECRET ENDING! And not only that, but it has stupid specific guidelines to follow. First, get Altius off the sign, and force him down the path underground. (This makes Shovel Knight look like a jerk, doesn’t it?!) Next, Shovel Knight has to find Altius hidden in the first world. Once the first boss is defeated, Shovel Knight has to find Chester and buy a wooden cog, and also get all three gold cogs of the first area. Once that is done, Altius jams the machine, and Shovel Knight cannot use the device until the next world. (FIND SECRET LOCATIONS AND LANTERNS BECAUSE THIS WAS SO TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR. AND ALTIUS IS A JERK.) Once the boss is defeated, Shield Knight uses the machine to dig through the other route. This next part isn’t as bad, but a little bit concerning. Shovel Knight needs to find three griffin statues before every checkpoint. They too are found with blue lanterns. However, there is a cost. Shovel Knight will have to give up three of his accessories to allow Shield Knight to read clues. Defeat the next boss, and Shield Knight will give Shovel Knight a Skeleton Key. Unlike the other keys, it won’t be destroyed so easily, unless Shovel Knight hits a spike. But, Shovel Knight will need it to unlock a door that fits it. (The key can also unlock every door in the game.) Once inside the room that needs that key, Altius will take a powerful relic that can also stop the Omega Saw. Defeat the boss, go to the next world. Shield Knight will give Shovel Knight a bomb that can blow up some unbreakable dirt. HOWEVER, THERE IS A MINUTE TIME LIMIT. Go to the dirt ASAP, and make sure Shovel Knight is not in reach of the bomb. Go in the room, and Altius will head down the final world. Defeat the boss, go to the final world. Altius will give Shovel Knight the relic. THE OMEGA DRIVER. IT CAN ONLY BE USED ONCE, AND THERE IS A SPECIFIC MOMENT IN DRILL KNIGHT’S BATTLE WHERE HE CALLS UPON THE OMEGA SAW. USE THE RELIC THERE.  

Then, there’s another world that only has gems (which was worth the trouble), and Shovel Knight will fight the true final boss. The… the… Enchantress? Didn’t Shovel Knight beat her already? Take her out, and watch the credits closely. It’s like the “three” haven’t encountered her in the last game. And, the Tower of Fate appears once more. Shovel Knight Dig… is possibly the beginning of the events. It explains Mole Knight’s redesign, and later Tinker Knight exclaims that some foul darkness seems afoot. (Even though he served The Enchantress in the first game, making this comment seem odd; UNLESS he hasn’t met her yet, because this game takes place first chronologically!)  

Oh, yeah… there are achievements for doing certain requirements. … No thanks. They don’t reward me with anything, and like I said, this is a challenging game as is with its roguelike elements. And I came across some gameplay glitches. Like dirt somehow becoming unbreakable, or Shovel Knight not jumping higher than I wanted him to. 

Shovel Knight Dig… is a bit exhausting to beat. Its elements mean its highly replayable, but that’s a huge ordeal for me. And the true means of actually getting the true ending was a nightmare. I plan on playing Hades some time. Might consider playing another game in the meantime to make sure I don’t get caught up on RNG that I might hate. As much as I really wanted to see how it stacks up against Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, I like it a little less because of its random nature. It’s not a horrible game. In fact, it’s one of the best games of 2022. 

Oh, wait, the Poke’mon Mystery Dungeon games were my first true exposures to roguelikes? Well, then… gets them off my Top 100 I love those games, but I have to accept that times have changed, and I’m not too sold on the remake as well.        

10/10- Samurai Shodown V Perfect for Nintendo Switch. 

Spoiler

With the news of some Samurai Shodown characters appearing in King of Fighters XV, I knew I had to strike while the iron was hot. I had to beat the last two games in the series: V and the 2019 Reboot or whatever. (I might consider VI, but there's been some negative backlash on the total censorship of blood.) Here's the thing: the last game before the reboot, V, had three different versions. The original was the base roster, Special added and replaced some characters, and Perfect added some gameplay improvements and some returning elements. I went with V Perfect, but there was a snag. V Perfect was only for arcades until 2020, when it was added to the Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection. I bought the other four games separately, not knowing this existed. But, since the series was good anyways, I kind of justified this purchase. So, what kind of antics are the warriors getting into this time?

... Oh, it's a dream match thing. With most of the cast returning. (Still no Earthquake and Cham Cham.) Okay, not all of the characters from the base game returned, and the story of Special and Perfect both deviated from the story of the original game. I guess the developers just thought fans wouldn't care about a story this time.

It still feels, sounds, and plays like a Samurai Shodown game, but there's a new overkill move that happens if a character is in a rage state, and their opponent is in the blue life bar threshold. Still, compared to the other games in the series... there's less blood. Sure, the next game is probably worse for being censored, but this feels weird for a game known for its over the top gore and mutilation. Some gamers played Mortal Kombat, but this was not acceptable enough?!   

I have mixed feelings about V Perfect. The gameplay is solid, but the dream match story and less blood make this game less remarkable. I just hope the Reboot kicks butt. 

10/15- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax for Nintendo Switch

Spoiler

With the surge of Persona games coming to the Nintendo Switch and modern consoles, I thought it would be a great way to jump back into the series than by playing more Persona games. The modern ones at least. My first stop was actually the story mode of Persona 4 Arena in the game of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax I got. After that, I immediately played the story mode of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.I played through what could have been considered half of the story mode, until I just… stopped. Not only did I play other games afterwards, including Persona 3 FES, but I needed a little break from what I felt was just a little bit of a weaker story. Don’t get me wrong, there were some great moments in Ultimax’s story, but some of the beats were the same from the first story. But, what are my overall thoughts of Arena Ultimax and the Arena sub-series as a whole? 

The game immediately follows up on the events of Arena. Someone forced Labrys, an anti-Shadow Suppression weapon and technically the older sister of Aegis, the Shadow Operatives (the Persona 3 group) and the Investigation Team (the Persona 4 group) to battle each other in the Midnight Channel. Even though Labrys gained her Persona, and the conflict within the Midnight Channel ended, the two groups wondered about the person who kidnapped Labrys and their true goals. 

A few days later or so, the Investigation Team reunites, and some troubling news returns. The P-1 Grand Prix is about to begin once more, but with more stakes. A mysterious red fog surrounds the town of Inaba; and worse, the team is told that the world will disappear in an hour if they don’t fight. Not only that, but members of the Shadow Operatives (Aegis, Fuuka, Akihiko, and Mitsuru) have been captured and been put on spirit-absorbing crosses. To complicate things even more… Tohru Adachi, the psychopath from Persona 4, somehow appears. Naoto becomes involved once more not only because of her investigation with the Kirijo Group, but because of the red mist. Rise, the pop singer, was going to be on her comeback tour when she was captured during the tournament. When she gets involved in the current situation, she refuses to stand by like last time and this time fights. Rise’s Persona also gets a new combat mode thanks to some interesting interference from Elizabeth. The group now rushes to not only save their new friends, but to stop the new conflict that spreads their home.   

That’s not all to the story. About the same time the Investigation Team reunites, Mitsuru, Fuuka, Akihiko, and Aegis ponder about Labrys’s kidnapper. A single name comes up during the conversation: Shuji Ikutski. Though he was a maniac and a villain during the events of Persona 3, there is one undeniable truth: he’s dead, and fell to his death three years ago. The team theorize that it could have been someone related to him; but Mitsuru shoots that down, saying that Ikutski didn’t have any family. However, he did experiment with children and the Plumes of Dusk. Could one of them be behind it? But before they could continue their discussion, their driver becomes brainwashed or the like, and they drive off the road of a cliff. (They are captured, as mentioned, but it’s never clear what happened during this point.) 

But, since both the Persona groups have the same story length in this game, that is where things get more interesting. Ken Amada, a middle schooler and the youngest of the Persona 3 team, Koromaru, a dog and Ken’s companion, Chaki Yukari, a model and now a stuntwoman behind Feather Pink (like the Power Rangers and their Japanese counterparts), and Junpei Iori, a coach for a kids’ baseball team, are the Auxiliary Members of the Shadow Operatives, since they’re younger, and are only needed in case of emergencies. With the main group currently captured, this is their time to shine. Labrys joins the four to help save the rest of the Shadow Operatives. Their destination: Inaba. (Well, Junpei fell asleep on a subway train by accident, and by some means of fate, happened to come to the town.) Not only does the red fog remind the group of the Midnight Hour, but Yasogami High School, the high school the Persona 4 cast goes to, turned into something similar to Tartarus. If the crosses their friends were tied to wasn’t also some strange déjà vu to their events three years ago, Shuji or someone to his likeness appeared. The Auxiliary Members are also forced to participate in the P-1 Grand Prix Tournament as well. The group not only fights to save their friends, but to stop whatever malice is behind the red fog and the Tartarus-like structure.  

Oh, and there’s a story explaining Adachi’s versions of the events, but it’s more like a sort-of redemption arc for him after the events of Persona 4. He really came a long way since that game’s events. Still, what he did was unforgivable.  

Like I said, most of the beats are the same, but the inclusion of Rise and the Auxiliary Members of the Shadow Operatives breathes new life into the story. Rise fighting especially took me by surprise. 

The game still looks amazing. Taking from what I said about the original stages, more fights happen outside of Yasogami High School, and even in some unexpected places. Not only that, but darker versions of some stages appear. The cast of characters in this game also nearly doubled thanks to the addition of the rest of the Shadow Operatives (except for Fuuka), Rise, DLC and the like in the form of Margaret Marie, and Adachi, and the two forms of the new villain (who also has a Persona.) Again, the soundtrack is amazing.           

The gameplay of the last game is intact, with new moves to accommodate for the new characters. Since I took a break from the game, it was interesting getting to the controls again. It’s still janky at times, but so satisfying to pull off.  

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is hard to rate, and that’s a little bit because the story of Persona 4 Arena is also included. Never since Tekken 3 have I highly valued such a fighting game. Sure, without the story or the interesting combat mechanics with Personas, this game would be worse. But, since it has those elements, it makes me appreciate this game more, flaws aside. I had never played a fighting game with unique elements, and I wished they continued it even with the Persona 5 cast, instead of just making giving them a Warriors game. For what it is, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is an ultimate experience. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

- TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan (Switch)

I had this Game Boy game as a kid, funnily enough I remember it being hard when I was little. Pretty much breezed through it this time though.

- TMNT: Tournament Fighters - SNES (Switch)
I don't think I'll ever really enjoy 2D fighting games, but one themed around the Turtles does make sense.

- TMNT IV: Turtles in Time - SNES (Switch)
Playing these back to back does make the little updates more clear, though it also makes the repetitive gameplay pretty stark.

- TMNT II: Back from the Sewers (Switch)
I think we had this Game Boy game too because parts of it feel familiar, but I definitely never beat it because this one is genuinely hard.

- TMNT III: The Manhattan Project (Switch)
I know, I'm going all over the place in order here. Anyway I think I like the throw mechanics best in this game.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 9:32 PM, purple_beard said:

8/31 Turtles IV: Turtles in Time/Switch Cowabunga Collection

10/1 Portal 2 / Switch Collection

TMNT IV / Cowabunga Collection:   Fist, I had thought the game came out Friday of release week and not Tuesday LOL.  I wasn't expecting it was releasing Tuesday so I didn't bother to go by GS to pick up my game that day, only to get home and my brother had been playing it that night and I was like DAMN, so after work Wednesday I went straight to GS to get my copy.  Damn, the collection is solid.  I played a little TMNT (NES OG) to mess around with it but when my brother got home from work we went and got pizza and played this game 1st.  The coop ran pretty damn smooth and I liked how the game played.  I don't know if a younger me could have beaten this game but at least I would have had the time back then to play and get good at it to do better unlike now.  Loved the graphics, music, and bosses in the game.

Portal 2/ Switch Collection.  I have really dug this series now that I got to play them on the Switch.  I think some of the puzzle solving expansion mechanics to #2 made good use of the portal guns and abilities to use.  I wonder what they would add for a #3 entry.  I highly recommend it.  As far as a 1 vs. 2 comparison, I thought 1's puzzles were more interesting as a first go around  experience.  However, #2, with its colored gels and anti-gravity transport beams, really makes a strong case for game mechanic expansion kind of like how Box Boy expanded its core pallet of moves over his games.  The ending was a surprise.  One drawback I found was some of the orientation in its FPS view made for errors I wouldn't have otherwise made--apparently on the final boss I didn't have my head/body tilted properly for it to register getting the third head attached.  Ohh well, solid game.

- Spinch (Switch)

Really weirdly unbalanced game. First half is very easy but the second half is stupidly hard (especially because of few checkpoints). Also the trippy visuals aren't all that interesting actually, pretty repetitive and not as inventive as I would've expected.

- Splatoon 3 (Switch)
Pretty solid story mode, a lot more in common with Octo Expansion than the previous story modes. I've put a good amount of time into multiplayer as well and have been enjoying it a lot.

- Gorogoa (Switch)
Really inventive, clever puzzle game. Super short but worth the playthrough.

- Trash Sailors (Switch)
Okay concept but one issue with the controls frankly spoils the entire experience. Imprecise controls are just so frustrating in an already hectic game.

- Lost Words: Beyond the Page (Switch)
Very moving story about grief with a unique journal mechanic, though most of the gameplay is pretty basic. Worth playing though.
  • 2 weeks later...