Official Gen 7 Shiny hunter thread

Well I can say that from my experience, that shinies appear more often in chained S.O.S. battles than fully evolved wild Pokémon and wild Pokémon with evolution held items. When I mean fully evolved wild Pokémon, I mean ones with a third evolution mostly. 

Last night I was chaining to find a wild Politoad or at least a Poliwag or Poliwhirl hold a Kings Rock. Instead I found a shiny Poliwhirl after at least 45 minutes (I wasn't keeping track of time it had to be longer), and a lot of fainted Poliwags.   

It bugs me since I really wanted to find a Politoad without going to get a Kings Rock. I still need to complete the Pokedex so I can get the shiny charm, unless it's not in this game.

A little over 60 odd hours in Moon version and just ran into my first in game shiny. Caterpie :).

Under a cut as the pics are a bit large.

Spoiler

mxsIpUz.png

FOTMtw3.png

Dammit Game Freak...

Careful    Raises Sp. Def   Decreases Sp. Atk

No matter, I'm still keeping it. :kirby-kitten:

Edited by Lance's Dragonite
3 hours ago, Dancing Mog said:

At least you have encountered one so early in the game and caught it, went up to 95 SOS calls before capturing the HA Eevee in a Dusk ball(morning hours in the game so it wasn't a great pick on what I used). Need to restock on some different pokéballs for when I continue my hunt.

I've heard of people catching shinies earlier. This is really early on in game to get a shiny, at least on my end. Surprised me. I don't think I got one so early before. Most of the time it was either luck or after getting a shiny charm. Only exception was back in Silver version, I got an early one there with a shiny Pidgey and then a shiny Poliwag. Then I had a drought.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Spacechimp2016 said:

First shiny I got was a Ladybank, took me 20 minutes, second I got was a magikarp that took 1 hour then hatched a shiny litten.  That took 50-60 eggs. After I gained the shiny charm I have only hatched a shiny litten which took over 200 eggs. Either I was very lucky to start of with or the charm doesn't work lol

Nice. Pretty weird to hear that it took longer to hatch another shiny Litten with the Shiny Charm than before. Guess that's weird luck?

57 minutes ago, The Albraskan said:

Nice. Pretty weird to hear that it took longer to hatch another shiny Litten with the Shiny Charm than before. Guess that's weird luck?

Meanwhile, I have the Shiny Charm, a 6 IV foreign Ditto, and a Magikarp. 2,310 eggs later, no shiny.

Tons of perfect Magikarp though.

39 minutes ago, Ret said:

Meanwhile, I have the Shiny Charm, a 6 IV foreign Ditto, and a Magikarp. 2,310 eggs later, no shiny.

Tons of perfect Magikarp though.

Now that's pretty rotten luck outside of having perfect Magikarp. Now I forgot the shiny rate with and without the shiny charm, but it sounds like you should have had a perfect shiny Magikarp arleady. Hope you get it soon.

Just now, The Albraskan said:

Now that's pretty rotten luck outside of having perfect Magikarp. Now I forgot the shiny rate with and without the shiny charm, but it sounds like you should have had a perfect shiny Magikarp arleady. Hope you get it soon.

With the shiny charm and the Masuda method, I've seen people quote rates as low as 1:400, but the lowest I know it's been confirmed to is 1:512.  While I understand the laws of probability and basic statistics, that streak just broke me of hatching Magikarps anymore.  I spent just as much time releasing the rejects as I did hatching them.

Now I'm hatching Phantumps hoping for something to come up but yeah...

6 hours ago, Gold said:

I got wonder traded a shiny dratini last night and if the person was using marks to track ivs it has five perfect.

Just get the IV checker thing for in-game checking.  If it says "Best" in the hexagon, then it's got 31 in that particular stat.

To get the in-game checker, just hatch 20 eggs, then talk to the Ace Trainer at the Battle Tree.  He'll wake up, give you the ability to check for yourself, and presto.  I like the idea of using marks, but frankly I'm too lazy to do that.

Side-note: 120 Phantumps and nothing.  This is so monotonous aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

2 hours ago, Ret said:

Just get the IV checker thing for in-game checking.  If it says "Best" in the hexagon, then it's got 31 in that particular stat.

To get the in-game checker, just hatch 20 eggs, then talk to the Ace Trainer at the Battle Tree.  He'll wake up, give you the ability to check for yourself, and presto.  I like the idea of using marks, but frankly I'm too lazy to do that.

Side-note: 120 Phantumps and nothing.  This is so monotonous aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Well if they're not Alola Champion those markings are all they have to go by

Edited by Carl321
8 hours ago, Ret said:

That's true, but why would anyone go full-tilt into IV breeding before then? y; 

Assuming that's what the markings are for, the person who got it originally probably was a champion. However, they decided to Wondertrade it and maybe as a courtesy marked it so if someone who wasn't a champ got it they'd know it's a good one. I know that's what I'd do.

4 hours ago, Carl321 said:

Assuming that's what the markings are for, the person who got it originally probably was a champion. However, they decided to Wondertrade it and maybe as a courtesy marked it so if someone who wasn't a champ got it they'd know it's a good one. I know that's what I'd do.

Fair enough!  I'm not that considerate, if they want to use the Pokemon I wonder trade then cool, if not, cool.

In other news - 183 eggs in total, finally got shiny Phantump, Adamant natured, 31/x/31/31/31/31 so his only stat that isn't perfect, but still.  It's nice to see this finally pay off.