My Headphones Are Bloke

subrosian

Well, it finally happened. My triennial pair of $20 SkullCandy headphones bit the dust. Any suggestions on high-quality, durable headphones I could pick up? What kind do you use? Is noise cancelling important? Are wireless ones worth it? My budget is probably somewhere in the $100-$150 range, now that I'm working a very lucrative part-time minimum-wage job :P Thanks!

Edited by subrosian

TRI-ANNUAL? You buy earbuds that many times a year? What are you doing to them?

I have a pair of really nice audio-technica headphones, and a samsung pair of earbuds that came with my phone. Both are perfect and work beautifully. The AT ones are pretty durable I'd say, and noise-cancelling is only important depending on what you're using them for, I'd guess. Personal preference.

I'd say go for a pair of Beats if you can get them on sale. My cousin has had a pair for a couple of years now and he really likes them. I'd love to get a pair myself, but I'm settling for my $15 dollar pair of Sony ones. They work pretty well for what it's worth though.

Just now, chickadee said:

I have a pair of really nice audio-technica headphones, and a samsung pair of earbuds that came with my phone. Both are perfect and work beautifully. The AT ones are pretty durable I'd say, and noise-cancelling is only important depending on what you're using them for, I'd guess. Personal preference.

My mistake, triennial. Am a dumb. Thanks for the recommendation! I sometimes dabble in music composition/production, but mostly these will just be for playin' games and whatnot.

13 minutes ago, Lance's Dragonite said:

I'd say go for a pair of Beats if you can get them on sale. My cousin has had a pair for a couple of years now and he really likes them. I'd love to get a pair myself, but I'm settling for my $15 dollar pair of Sony ones. They work pretty well for what it's worth though.

Yeah, I guess something about the design of Beats makes them seem flimsy to me. Probably how smooth and/or shiny the plastic is. Also, and I forgot to mention this in the first post, I have a pretty large head... Like, large enough that I don't really like wearing hats. :v So the form-fitting design on Beats has me worried that they won't be the best fit, you know?

6 minutes ago, chickadee said:

oh jesus you had me thinking you were some kind of hulk on your earbuds lmao alright alright

I try to be gentle. :kirby-kitten:

Edited by subrosian
2 minutes ago, subrosian said:

Yeah, I guess something about the design of Beats makes them seem flimsy to me. Probably how smooth and/or shiny the plastic is. Also, and I forgot to mention this in the first post, I have a pretty large head... Like, large enough that I don't really like wearing hats. :v So the form-fitting design on Beats has me worried that they won't be the best fit, you know?

I try to be gentle. :kirby-kitten:

Ah I see.

20 minutes ago, chickadee said:

So your post made me go look in my Galaxy S6 box and, lo and behold, there is a pair of ear buds hidden in there.

Thanks for the free stuff!

11 minutes ago, Ayyyy Lmao said:

I like Grado, I've had the same pair for about 4 years now and sound quality is great and they've endured quite a bit. 

Huh. I've never heard of them but there are some pretty good reviews... I will have to do more extensive research. Even if they are the enemy country from Sacred Stones. :D

1 hour ago, strawberrykeiki said:

If you're able/willing to spend the cash, I'd definitely second AT headphones.  I went with the M40Xs ~6 months ago and they've been fantastic so far.  As for earbuds I had a pair of Sennheiser ones that were ~$25 and lasted me for 3-4 years, so they're also a really solid brand.

Well, the Amazon link that @chickadee gave was smack dab in the middle of my budget, so they're definitely being considered.

46 minutes ago, Jon Mess said:

Oh oh I like headphones. 

Current pairs are Shure SRH-840, Sennheiser HD558, Sennheiser HD598, and Philips SHP9500.

What were you looking to use your headphones for? You may have said, but mobile. 

Gaming, music, movies mostly. Maybe occasionally fiddling around in DAWs or trackers, or editing podcasts or something... That's being very optimistic of my future productivity though lol

Ooh I like the 1/4" plug on the Sennheiser HD558... I also play guitar and have neighbors right beneath me, so that could be very useful. HMMMM

o wait do they all have those...? As I said, am a dumb

Edited by subrosian
5 minutes ago, subrosian said:

Gaming, music, movies mostly. Maybe occasionally fiddling around in DAWs or trackers, or editing podcasts or something... That's being very optimistic of my future productivity though lol

Ooh I like the 1/4" plug on the Sennheiser HD558... I also play guitar and have neighbors right beneath me, so that could be very useful. HMMMM

Would you be using your headphones at home only or were you planning on carrying them around to use in public too? 

And would noise leakage be a problem for you at home?

1 minute ago, Jon Mess said:

Would you be using your headphones at home only or were you planning on carrying them around to use in public too? 

And would noise leakage be a problem for you at home?

Probably only at home, I think. I don't think noise leakage would be too much of a problem, but it'd be nice to keep it minimal. Not that high of a priority for me though.

1 minute ago, subrosian said:

Probably only at home, I think. I don't think noise leakage would be too much of a problem, but it'd be nice to keep it minimal. Not that high of a priority for me though.

Then I'd say the Sennheisers would do you well. The 598s are slightly better quality in just about every way compared to the 558s. Both are extremely comfortable. I mean, I can wear them all day. Even wear the 558s to bed sometimes. 

Just now, Jon Mess said:

Then I'd say the Sennheisers would do you well. The 598s are slightly better quality in just about every way compared to the 558s. Both are extremely comfortable. I mean, I can wear them all day. Even wear the 558s to bed sometimes. 

Cool, one more question: are they pretty flexible/adjustable? I dunno if you saw the post where I talked about my rather large and unwieldy head

2 minutes ago, subrosian said:

Cool, one more question: are they pretty flexible/adjustable? I dunno if you saw the post where I talked about my rather large and unwieldy head

I'm sure you should be fine. They adjust out quite a long ways and they do have some flex. Generally they'll clamp hard at first, but like a good pair of shoes they'll adjust to you.