talk cars to me

Spring

8 hours ago, ace said:

The sad story of my car ownership history is the butt of many jokes between my friends. It all started back when I turned 16 in 2009. My grandfather gave me his old 1992 Chevy Cavalier RS Wagon. It needed a little work but I was willing and able, plus it was a free car. It turns out that 380,000+ miles on a shitty economy car do a lot of damage. For the whole 2 years I had it it never really worked. It spluttered and died constantly, left me stranded on the side of the highway a few times, and it was so rusty it had holes in the floorboards. The story that everyone I went to high school with remembers is the time that a mouse built a nest in the engine compartment. Half way to school on a freezing cold December morning the nest caught on fire and filled my car with smoke. That car was a miserable piece of shit but for the 20 minutes on one summer day where it worked, it was pretty alright.

Reveal hidden contents

38609_1539811336569_30981_n.jpg?oh=f1575

Since then I've mostly been driving my family's old Chrysler 300m. It's 17 years old now and it's falling apart faster than I can patch it together. It's way too dangerous to drive on the highway now with the whole front end needing to be replaced and the transmission is starting to go. Not to mention it was backed into a while back which led to a fun police experience at 2am. That car is on it's last leg and my mom has been driving it to work since she doesn't work far from home. I've been driving the Ford Expedition we have now. I hate it. It's too big and near impossible to park at school and costs so much money to fuel. I just want a small little commuter car but between school and other bills I don't have enough to afford anything. It's part of why I'm so miserable all the time.

How far is your commute?

What you need is a car that will save you money on gas in the long wrong and has a high reliability rate, while also being fun to drive. For that I recommend the Prius C. Laugh at the Plebs as, depending on your driving, you can go almost two weeks before you have to fill up.

That said, since you are new to driving, I would really stress that you drive a junker for a some time before you move onto something nice and shiny. Driving and developing good habits takes practice and time. It's a skill you hone and it's better to hone it on something you don't mind possible getting a bit banged up.

I drive an 01 Honda Civic sedan. When I was looking for a car I was honestly just looking for a fuel efficient and reliable sedan that wasn't going to give me much trouble, and was relatively inexpensive. That narrowed it down to Civics, Accords, Camrys, and Corollas for me. I love my little civic but it's not super fun to drive or anything like that, which is important for some people. There was a Mazda3 that I was looking at as well but ended up not being able to get, but I'm happy with my car.