Sinnoh Underground - N4A Chat Thread - November 2021

EH_STEVE

5 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Yeah, but then we get terrible censorship like Holy being changed to Pearl, Celes being "taunted" in jail instead of beaten up, and people committing suicide by jumping off a cliff being changed to "people becoming so bored that they tried jumping off cliffs for fun".

"How did they die?"

"I'm so sorry to say, they got bored."

"If only the government had more resources for people to talk about their thoughts of boredom, this could've been prevented."

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Yeah, but then we get terrible censorship like Holy being changed to Pearl, Celes being "taunted" in jail instead of beaten up, and people committing suicide by jumping off a cliff being changed to "people becoming so bored that they tried jumping off cliffs for fun".

the GBA translation is definitely better for accuracy, especially considering how much of the script had to be condensed and paraphrased to even fit on a SNES cartridge
fun fact, the jail scene also got changed in japan, removing the assault scene in order to preserve the age rating for the japanese gba release y; but it was still intact in the SNES version so i think you're mixing versions up a bit (i don't know what the text said though because i've only played in japanese)
while the 90s censorship is def really unfortunate, i feel like you do your own argument a disservice by putting holy→pearl at the same level as writing out a suicide lol

Edited by April

But, the opera scene is probably the best with the old translation.  

It's a lot more subtle of how Locke and Celes are totally a couple and are trying to hold their feelings with the clunkiness of the text And how Celes is trying to break out of her cold, bitter exterior.

They better not screw THAT up. Otherwise, I'm calling foul, and sticking with how I remember the game. Playing on the Wii VC.  

As of now, beat FFV again. Again, if the difficulty wasn't so wishy-washy, and the grinding wasn't such a bore... this would be a best contender for me. I did the four-job fiesta route, and that made the final stretch a bit annoying at times. There's parts of this game I'll always treasure, but if I wanted a robust job system, I'll play FFXIV. 

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams
8 hours ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

But, the opera scene is probably the best with the old translation. 

Even though the GBA translation actually bothers to write lyrics that actually time well with the music like in Japanese?
granted you can't really blame Woolsey for this because i'm pretty sure he had to do everything w/o much context
also I'm looking at the translations again and at one point he translates おまえ... こんなにきれいだったっけ (were you always this pretty?) to "aye yai yai, izzat... you?" lmao

Edited by April

@Tyranogre Oh yes, no doubt. 

9 hours ago, April said:

Even though the GBA translation actually bothers to write lyrics that actually time well with the music like in Japanese?

If I'd want to hear the opera be precise in the rhythm, I'd either listen to the Distant Worlds or Black Mages version. Even if the latter is in Japanese.   

^Edit: ...Granted, it's been a while since I played VI, but the rest of the scene perfectly demonstrates the subtle awkwardness for their feelings. 

My least to most favorite FF games that I defeated: 

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy XII 

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Close to finishing the 1st expansion.)

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Final Fantasy IV (both DS and Pixel Remaster) 

Final Fantasy IX 

Final Fantasy VI 

Final Fantasy VII (Original and R) 

I refuse to play VIII, because it's a suckier VII. It's a hot take, even if I admit it has good music, and its visual are superior to VIII's. I'm just not going to play a game with its weird Junctioning system and its baffling story. Heard the card game's a lot better than what IX got, and is in XIV. I tried to appreciate II, but that obviously backfired on me. 

If anyone wants to hear my reasons on that list, ask. I'm not going to say all of the games suck/don't have good ideas.  

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

Forgot how tedious level grinding can be in the original games without a universal exp share - pretty much been grinding routes around Vermilion the last day or two 

Did take care of and caught Mew pretty easily and took care of Misty before that with not much difficulty - but seems like levels are getting a bit higher already…

At least I’ll get Gyarados in another level- not sure on the chances of that happening, but the first step into Diglett Cave ended up encountering a Lv. 29 Dugtrio - though my team was almost wiped, did manage to catch it 

Had to backtrack to Cerulean three times though - one for the bike and to times for an extra Spearow and Abra for the Mr. Mime and Farfetch’d trades

Kinda forgot those were a thing - though i might have done the Farfetch’d trade in the original GB game, but not sure on the other

DF40FE83-F3FD-45E4-938F-E276FB0B98BB.jpeg

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Finished live-action Cowboy Bebop. Loved it for what it was. Was really looking forward to season two...

Reveal hidden contents

They could've toned it down a LITTLE BIT

it's so terrible it preemptively killed Watanabe just so he could roll in his grave

jk i haven't seen it

I've never really been a Halo person--the last game I played was Reach back in 2010 and the last one I played extensively was Halo 3--but I'm kind of gobsmacked at how much I've been enjoying Halo Infinite.  As somebody who detests Battle Royales and has grown extremely tired of Hero/Class-based shooters, Infinite definitely feels like it's in the right place at the right time, where a lot of its really classic design choices feel unique.  It also makes me realize how much I just don't gel with the busyness of a lot of modern shooters and how procedurally-generated and emergent gameplay seems to have become the norm to the point that it just feels a bit stale to me.  There's a tightness and visual clarity to Infinite that makes it feel very accessible.

This feels very much like the multiplayer experience I've needed again in my life. y;

Good day, I hope you've all been well.

I live in a new place, with new friends, and a lot of new experiences. I haven't been here in a very long time. I'm very glad to see that this community is still here!

19 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I've tried FF7 and FF6 both at least 2-3 times and cannot get into them. FF6 I've gotten decently far but then I burn out trying to learn like all the magic for everyone, then get bored and stop playing.

That's definitely the case for me and FF6. I have much higher tolerance somehow for developing the Jobs in FF5, however, and that could be argued as tedious.

6 hours ago, Lucina said:

Good day, I hope you've all been well.

I live in a new place, with new friends, and a lot of new experiences. I haven't been here in a very long time. I'm very glad to see that this community is still here!

welcome back. it's a bit dusty in here but we aren't going anywhere any time soon