Mario Party Superstars is Awesome

KoolK

I've been playing it the past few days, and the game is excellent. The best Mario Party package in the franchise. Been a fan of the series for a long time now, despite some of its recent disappointing releases (Super mario party was not my thing). I love the ability to speed up CPU turns and text. It makes a BIG difference. The boards are excellent. The mini games are the best collection in any MP game - and the system does an awesome job of cycling unique games in every session - I have not had a duplicate game in multiple 30 turn sessions. There are no real duds and many standouts. 

This is the best Mario Party game - and by some distance.

Ah okay. Hopefully the online will be good. I have a feeling that there will be a share of rage quitters though. I hope if that happens, the online game won’t get interrupted or end the game. I forgot what game did that, I think it was Fortune Street back on the Wii maybe? I’d have to imagine the developers would have found a way to keep the game going in case people disconnected, like add in bots.

28 minutes ago, The Albraskan said:

Ah okay. Hopefully the online will be good. I have a feeling that there will be a share of rage quitters though. I hope if that happens, the online game won’t get interrupted or end the game. I forgot what game did that, I think it was Fortune Street back on the Wii maybe? I’d have to imagine the developers would have found a way to keep the game going in case people disconnected, like add in bots.

Yeah, I think thats a risk with games that require such a chunk of sit-down time like Mario party does. On the other hand, games have been surprisingly close in all the ones I've played so far. I play mainly against my partner and two CPU's, and despite me crushing the individual minigames, the various board mechanics add so much unpredictability to the game that I've only won two games, by only 1 star each, and lost the others by a star each. In each game final results were in the 2-4 star range for the winner, which means that end game bonus stars often swung the pendulum. 

This could be a bit of a bummer if you would prefer your performance on the mini games to dictate the results of the overall game, but I've found the unpredictability of the boards themselves to be fair, and they ultimately elevate each game instead of creating boring blowouts. Hopefully that will also decrease the number of rage quitters, since you're never really out of the game.

I'm fine with the game switching CPU's in for the real players, since I would still have my partner on the board. However, if I was playing solo I could see being left with nothing but CPU players being boring.

Edited by KoolK
15 hours ago, Kezay said:

I had to do a double take... Kool.K!?  KOOL.K!?  Dude, how have you been?

Hey man, it's been a few decades! I heard whispers that you've been spotted lurking around in these parts, but I had to see for myself. 

Once the original Nsider went belly up I kind of lost interest - there were so many casualties that the few of us that made it out and survived kind of dispersed into the ethos. I hate to admit it, but I think all the negativity that I may or may not have been a part of might have played a part in them going under. Your eternal optimism (sometimes, maybe, fanboyism, but I dont judge!) really carried that place though. I'd say I'm a lot less negative when it comes to Nintendo (and I guess life in general) than back then. I still have my personal pet peeves with the big N, but ultimately I've learned to just enjoy the things they do that I do in fact like. You had me beat by 20 years there I guess. A man ahead of your time. I did skip a Nintendo console for the first time in my life in that span though - The Wii U. It just didn't jive with me. But I'm back on this train now. I'm really liking the switch. I got two - one for, lets just call it 'homebrew' and another for online games, special editions or just games I want physical copies of. I hope they continue this hybrid approach going forward. 

Lot has happened since we last spoke. I have a beard, my balls dropped and I have a few grey hairs now. I did enjoy those Goldeneye sessions we had on the Wii though. The proximity mine spam was real.

What games you play now?

I'm a slave to Rocket League, easily the most played game I've ever had. Really love the 5 minute bursts between bouts of work, and playing it with friends. You ever play it? My partner cant handle 3D games though due to motion sickness - but Mario Party with its isometric look poses no problem, so that's been our jam. 

So how you been?

PS: You went from a Sage to a member, what is this BS? You need to tell the higher ups you wont stand for this kind of disrespect.

Edited by KoolK
  • Chrom featured this topic

Anybody else get the game? I played on Sunday with my brother against the ai (Hard & Master) on the Tropical Island board. It predicted that Birdo (the Master) would win and gave them a Boo Bell which they used to steal my star and win.

I also played the mini game mode online doing the games involving jumping. Unstable connection up until the practice for the 1st game. Connection was fine when I won all 3 mini games.

I played 15 turns on the Space Station with randoms. Connection was great. Results below:

Did see that you can have a guest on the same system play online with you. Game is possible Game Night material. That or a once in a while session.

Edited by TKrazyO
On 11/3/2021 at 12:17 PM, April said:

played it and everything's pretty great
5 boards when there's no original content is shit though
but man does the quality difference stand out compared to Super Mario Party

Yeah, it could use more boards. Hopefully they add some as DLC. Also bummed about toad not being a playable character. The gae could use more characters in general. 

I wasnt a big fan of super Mario party either. The biggest problem I had with it was how damn slow it was. 120 minutes for 20 turns, vs 90 minutes for 30 turns here. It made SMP unplayable for me. What do you personally find improved compared to SMP though?

On 11/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, TKrazyO said:

Anybody else get the game? I played on Sunday with my brother against the ai (Hard & Master) on the Tropical Island board. It predicted that Birdo (the Master) would win and gave them a Boo Bell which they used to steal my star and win.

I also played the mini game mode online doing the games involving jumping. Unstable connection up until the practice for the 1st game. Connection was fine when I won all 3 mini games.

I played 15 turns on the Space Station with randoms. Connection was great. Results below:

Did see that you can have a guest on the same system play online with you. Game is possible Game Night material. That or a once in a while session.

Yeah, the game does seem to do some rigging for whoever the predicted winner is. Doesnt always work, but I've noticed whoever gets predicted ends up getting not only the bonus that comes with it, but awesome dice throws and bonus stars in the end too.

13 hours ago, KoolK said:

What do you personally find improved compared to SMP though?

the time, like you said. a ton of cut in animations and stuff doubled the time of games for no reason
was pretty underwhelmed by super mario party minigames
the boards were super uninspired

no real online play for years
and the unique dice thing was a neat but horrible idea in practice because mario party shouldn't have freakin character tiers

On 11/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, TKrazyO said:

how do you do this with online play? was trying to figure it out the other day and couldn't

@April In Online Play mode the option will pop up when going to the board game area. It was either that or in the friend room when creating a lobby.

I'll check exactly how when I get home from work later today.

Edit: The option pops up when creating a room in the Friend House. Up to 3 people from the same Switch.

Edited by TKrazyO
Added answer