Should we have a serious discussion board?

Tyranogre

Yes, I know that NS2's SD board was deleted (presumably for good reason), but the fact remains that N4A was created at a poorly-timed point in the election cycle, and that our current top two biggest non-Chat threads are devoted to discussions about politics. I don't know much about what happened a few nights ago to warrant the first bans in our two-month history, but apparently they had something to do with "new" users whose only posts were in the Trump thread.

I'm not saying that we should marginalize discussions about important issues that impact the lives of our members, but rather that having such discussions on Power On alongside "less serious" threads about anime and onaholes might attract the wrong kind of people to our community.

i... don't see the point 

if you don't want to have serious discussion, then just don't be apart of it. most of it takes place in those threads, so why bother moving it somewhere else

i feel like every 'should we have another board' question comes to the exact same response y; whyyyyyy

4 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I'm not saying that we should marginalize discussions about important issues that impact the lives of our members, but rather that having such discussions on Power On alongside "less serious" threads about anime and onaholes might attract the wrong kind of people to our community.

I don't see why it would. The threads about sex toys probably would attract the wrong types of people long before politics would.

But to answer the question, like all board related questions: No. There's nothing wrong with the threads being on Power On other than some people not wanting to see them, and Power On is not at all active enough to justify another board.

7 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I don't know much about what happened a few nights ago to warrant the first bans in our two-month history, but apparently they had something to do with "new" users whose only posts were in the Trump thread.

A group of trolls joined to troll each other.

Why would we open a board when we only have two threads that would fit there?

A board to house two threads would be incredibly pointless and the argument that serious discussion threads draw in the wrong kind of users is pretty stupid. Saying that threads about things that impact people should be tucked away into a corner so we don't have to deal with unsavory people is still pretty insulting. You're still marginalizing people if you tell them that their threads are drawing in people who want to insult them and that it'd be better to make sure nobody sees them as much as possible by segregating them off into an entirely separate board that probably no one will ever see or venture into.

And you could also make the argument that if you want the quality of Power On to look better, then maybe you don't post threads about sex toys so it doesn't look so awkward.

Edited by Mao

I mean, I agree that having a serious thread about politics and the future of our nation being on the same board as a sex toy review is awkward as fuck, but, as plenty of others have mentioned over the months, we have just the right amount of boards right now for our current community size.

I say we don't talk about adding new boards until/unless any one board can generate at least a half-page's worth of new topics per day for a few weeks, or something.

Just because you don't want to see something that ruins your little bubble of everything is perfect doesn't mean we need to make a new board to hide things away. We already have a perfectly good thread for political discussion and anything that pops up in the free-form chat thread shouldn't be moved because some people don't like it.

And did you ever think that maybe entire threads dedicated to onaholes shouldn't exist in the first place?

Edited by ace

I echo the sentiments of everybody who has posted here so far about the political thread(s): If you don't want to talk about politics, then don't enter the relevant thread(s). If you don't want to talk, or see talk, about politics in the chat/shitpost thread(s), then leave those thread(s) and come back after a day or two. This goes for members new and old. A separate board for these topics is not necessary.

I reverse the sentiments of everybody who has posted so far about the Onahole thread: If you don't want to talk about Onaholes, then don't enter the relevant thread. If you don't want to talk, or see talk, about Onaholes in the chat/shitpost thread(s), then leave those thread(s) and come back after a day or two. This goes for members new and old. A separate board for, or outlawing of, these topics is not necessary.

6 minutes ago, CHAINMAILLEKID said:

Just following your lead majesty.

Maybe you should actually talk about the issue at hand before bringing up your projections about other users.

I was talking about the issue at hand.

You're bitching about me entirely unprovoked and I would appreciate if you stopped.

2 hours ago, CHAINMAILLEKID said:

Just following your lead majesty.

Maybe you should actually talk about the issue at hand before bringing up your projections about other users.

he's entitled to his own opinions about the site and its content and its users just like anyone else, and posted them

not really sure what more you're looking for, but there's no real reason to go so hard in just because you don't like what he had to say. his projections and ideas about the users and how they react to content is something that's already been explored and dealt with, so its not even like he's talking out of his ass.

just because you don't like what he had to say.

I don't dislike what he has to say. At least, not in the sense of "Oh hes taken a different position to me and I don't know how to deal with it"

Just because you don't want to see something that ruins your little bubble of everything is perfext doesn't mean we need to make a new board to hide things away. 

Instead of it being a discussion about the idea, and why it is or isn't relevant to the issue, it deflects the discussion and makes it about Tyranogre.

Similarly, your ( Skycandy ) comment ( the quoted snippet ) would risk turning the discussion into whether or not I can deal with criticism.

Both of which are things that have zero relevancy to what advantages or drawback there are to an idea or question.

If I  ( or Tyranogre in this case ) can't even bring up an idea without people making implications about what the idea means about them,
Or if I can't argue against counterpoints without people making implications that I'm just mad at everyone for not agreeing with me, then there isn't really any way for ideas to be built in a constructive way.

Edited by CHAINMAILLEKID

I do believe I've seen enough attempts at deflection (including creating a thread for serious discussion and tagging it as "cancer") to have formed my opinions on this matter. Regardless of what you may or may not see as personal attacks I believe a serious discussion board is unnecessary, end of discussion. 

I totally understand the sentiment Ty, but I do agree that it's only two threads and there's very little spill over into the rest of the site. The only time it spills over is usually when someone makes a joke and then someone else escalated it.

Dont let the overly aggressive tone get to you either, everyone is on edge. y; 

Also, keep doing you. It's obvious what's in that thread from that title, they can just not look at it if they don't want to.

32 minutes ago, Sheri said:

I totally understand the sentiment Ty, but I do agree that it's only two threads and there's very little spill over into the rest of the site. The only time it spills over is usually when someone makes a joke and then someone else escalated it.

Dont let the overly aggressive tone get to you either, everyone is on edge. y; 

Also, keep doing you. It's obvious what's in that thread from that title, they can just not look at it if they don't want to.

Thanks, Sheri.

Means a lot to me.