General Pokemon talk thread

This would be a great time to do the original ending they were going to do with the Mewtwo Strikes Back movie. I don't know if you guys have seen this before but this first trailer shows very different stuff to what we got in the final product in 1998/99. The girl is believed to be the kid of Misty and Ash. 

But I guess if they are following the timeline without Brock and Misty following Ash now, I guess there is no need for this. But still to this day I am very intrigued to see what this original movie was going to be like. I wish they would at least show us blueprints. Unless we get an art book or something like a Pokemon Historia, we may never know.

So 20 years of the first Pokemon movie is a big deal to me. I remember how crazy it was during the phenomenon. If it's like the promotion of the last two movies, no one will know it exists. They should have better advertisements and the courage to do more than a 2 day showing for a movie. You'd be surprise at the people who would go to see a new Pokemon movie if given the chance. Obviously we will see good results in attendance with Detective Pikachu.

Interesting. I did not know of that unused concept, though as to who that little girl is, who knows at this point, but the Ash and Misty shipping was strong back then, so it’s possible she is who you say, though now Serena’s the shipping material for Ash since the anime writers made it so.

But yeah, I hope they promote this remake more to get the attention it deserves, though wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t. Most of the movies after the 4th one I didn’t know even existed for awhile initially due to lack of promotion.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I mean look at the one last month that came out about the same exact time as the Let's Go games. Not a single peep of promotion. If you don't know what I am referring to, they actually did make a sequel to I Choose You with Lugia.

I went to go see I Choose You in theaters. It was ok, a cool retelling, but it really bugged me how there was no Brock and Misty and this is either noncanon or in a different timeline. 

Yeah, I Choose You was okay. I guess it was the Ho-oh movie that people had been waiting for, and as a minor deity I loved how symbolic it was throughout. Some of it made me see Ho-oh in a new light; interesting how the presence of evil makes the color of a rainbow wing fade to black for instance. Wish they had showed the whole battle between Ho-oh and Pikachu though, but I get why they left it ambiguous. Yeah, different timeline for sure. I see nothing wrong with an alternate timeline as long as they get to co-exist, but I hear ya still.

Oh, I didn't even know Lugia got a remake soon after. Interesting. I've always been more of a Ho-oh fan though, though it makes sense to re-explore Lugia right after. Guess I'll check that out sometime.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a heads up for any one into the TGC, Walmart is giving out a FREE Detective Pikachu Bulbasaur card + a movie poster this Saturday...

OMG I NEED THIS CARD! Bulbasarur is my fav. PKMN and he looks super adorable in that pic. ^_^ Hmm...That poster isn't as cool as the one Target was giving out last weekend, IMO.

Apparently there are other Detective Pikachu Promo cards (promo cards have different pics than the standard Detective Pikachu cards) they're giving out. I know you can get some when you see the movie, but IDK where you get the others. I bet the GX ones are going to be pretty rare. Hopefully, you don't have to travel to some event to get them.

Afd7mwS.jpg?1

Edited by alienboyva

Cool. Hope to make it up for one of them and the Bulbasaur card. 

How was that Target giveaway? Were you able to get a shiny Eevee or Pikachu? If so, were you able to do so via their wifi?

Edited by Doc Brown
17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Cool. Hope to make it up for one of them and the Bulbasaur card. 

How was that Target giveaway? Were you able to get a shiny Eevee or Pikachu? If so, were you able to do so via their wifi?

I don't have Let's GO, so I didn't do the app thing. I just asked about it in the electronics section and they guy just let me have the poster and card without having to scan QR codes with the PKMN Pass app thing.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, alienboyva said:

I don't have Let's GO, so I didn't do the app thing. I just asked about it in the electronics section and they guy just let me have the poster and card without having to scan QR codes with the PKMN Pass app thing.

Ah I see. Cool that's good.

I ended up being able to see the movie, but sadly the theater was out of Pokemon cards.  :(  So onto going to Walmart tomorrow to try my luck.

Edited by Doc Brown
2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

@alienboyva  No luck at my stupid local Walmart. They weren't even having the giveaway. :(  Not surprised about it though as they seem to be a rather self-promoting one, trying to shill free junk instead of anything useful.

Same here. I went to 2 Walmarts and nobody knew anything thing about it. I really wanted that card too, since Bulbasaur fav PKMN. 😢 Oh, well...

23 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Same here. I went to 2 Walmarts and nobody knew anything thing about it. I really wanted that card too, since Bulbasaur fav PKMN. 😢 Oh, well...

Dang that sucks. :(  Wish we both would have had better luck with it.