GC hits 20

I remember walking into K-Mart on launch day with my brother and we both got one, no fuss at all. That definitely gave me unrealistic expectations about the Wii's launch years later.

Looking back on it, the GameCube really was a pretty experimental time for Nintendo's software, but they were still an absolute blast to play. I was also happy that there were actual RPGs on the system as well, after the drought on the N64. Speaking of which, I sure wouldn't mind seeing a new Baten Kaitos game someday.

So, some stories....

My brother and I split for a PO at GS for a black one and got a orange and purple extra controllers.  We did their bundle and picked luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron, and Wave Race Blue Storm.  We hated Luigi's Mansion and took it back and came back home with Super Monkey Ball and loved it.

Wave Race Blue Storm was super fun but those later races were super hard...never got to the final stage.  I really miss this series.

A guy at work was getting into the ebay scalping/resale bug so he was trying to get PS2s, XBXs, and GCs to flip for profit... he did pretty well with his GC foray according to him.

I remember several all nighters playing Super Monkey Ball and getting really into Flight and Fight mini games.  Then Melee came and man... had even more all nighters playing Smash.

When I had moved out I remember taking my rebate check for $100 in signing up for Earthlink internet to the nearby GS and getting Super Monkey Ball 2 and Super Mario Sunshine on release day.

Vividly recall the whole Toon Zelda fiasco....  I think it would have gone over smoother had they never done the mature looking trailer first.  That said, when you got to experience Wind Waker and how live action cartoon it looked and all the expressions and all the cool stuff in the game it was engrossing.  In the cell shading vein I also recall how cool Cell Damage was but also how frustrating it was to unlock some of the later stuff in it.

I really enjoyed using my GameBoy Player... I did Minish Cap fully on my tv.

How odd, but cool was MKDD.  That  game had some really good race tracks but some of the battle areas were quite lacking.  I loved the driver swapping, and special item strategy in the game.

I remember making sure I had a PO in for Melee because I liked Smash 64 but never owned a copy but I wanted to get my practice in when the next one came out so I could get decent enough at it when we had multiplayer sessions.

The WaveBird wireless controller was the legit.

I remember one of my friends abandoning Nintendo from N64 to PSX and subsequently PS2 but got a platinum GC just for Soul Calibur because it had Link in it, one of his favorite video game characters.  That platinum GC controller and subsequent WaveBird were pretty sweet.

The music and graphics for FZero GX were EPIC.

GC oddities:

I didn't believe their BS on using mini-dvds.

Why were the component cables for it ONLY sold via Nintendo?  And then, why if the GC could do 480p that way, how come the Wii would only do 480o to, instead of at least 720p...HDTVs were at a point at that time that that should have been done.

I did LOL at the handle on the back but damn did it feel useful in practice.

Why NA never got the upgraded unit with the built in dvd player, the Panasonic Q.

ah yes the great memories. my launch Black model sadly stopped working after a long while so I managed to buy a Platinum model later on which I still own to this day. I still have a few GameCube around like Paper Mario: TTYD, F-Zero GX, Starfox Assault & Adventures and a couple of other games. I did own the Zelda games at one time but sold them, same for Smash Melee, Sunshine and others. Zelda WW and TP I at least got again for Wii U (still wish they made the jump to Switch), Melee I sold because I usually get the newer version with more characters in later console generations. Sunshine thankfully made a comeback again in Super Mario 3D All-Stars.