Pokémon EVOLUTIONS | 📺Episode 3 now available!

Love how different (and polished) the art style is! Though the storyboarding/directing during the battle is really awkward, and the poor music/sound design took me out of it. And the American accents, as usual...

It tells a great story with Leon, doing him way more justice than the games. Though even that's sabotaged by Hop and Victor just... standing around the whole time, not actually doing anything.

15 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I like the realistic look of Wyndon with the rain and how Leon looked like a actual human.

@Destiny Hero: I got over how the English characters of this region don't speak English but if that's what you want to hang up, that's you.

I'm just especially triggered by Pokemon's voice acting in general. Its been on its own level of cringe for a long time. For example, the little boys in Twilight Wings were so obviously adult women doing character voices. Ash's mom in the new anime sounds like she's doing an impression of a man doing a goofy woman voice in a Shakespeare parody. Most female characters in Masters sound embarrassingly infantile. I don't see why Pokemon (and anime in general) can't let women have realistic voices. And some of the men--I can't begin to capture all the things wrong with Oak's new voice...

I'm not sure if the acting here was actually better or if that's just how sparse dialogue was, but if the voice direction matches the art style, that's a good sign. The shots of Wyndon were really great. I wish the same amount of care went into the games.

3 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

I'm just especially triggered by Pokemon's voice acting in general. Its been on its own level of cringe for a long time. For example, the little boys in Twilight Wings were so obviously adult women doing character voices. Ash's mom in the new anime sounds like she's doing an impression of a man doing a goofy woman voice in a Shakespeare parody. Most female characters in Masters sound embarrassingly infantile. I don't see why Pokemon (and anime in general) can't let women have realistic voices. And some of the men--I can't begin to capture all the things wrong with Oak's new voice...

I'm not sure if the acting here was actually better or if that's just how sparse dialogue was, but if the voice direction matches the art style, that's a good sign. The shots of Wyndon were really great. I wish the same amount of care went into the games.

I'm not gonna lie I have religiously watch the Pokemon anime over the years, the time I was like you with voice direction is when Ash and the gang made it to the battle frontier in Hoenn. I have been watching every episode of Pokemon up till that point so I knew when all of sudden all of the main characters sounded different, Ash, Brock, May, Max, Prof Oak, Gary and Team Rocket. I was so turned of how the heroes sounded especially Ash at the start but half way thru Sinnoh the actress found her groove and found her own version of Ash that remain that way till this day.

The animation changed more than the voice direction over the years, like Sinnoh and Unova obsessed with burst effects in the backgrounds of Pokemon attacks. Also in Unova anyone who didn't have pupils in their eyes, have pupil and color for their irises too. I like the animation, sound and story of Kalos, you can see the background of where the Pokemon were attacking, with no burst effects or CG, straight animation. Then comes along Sun and Moon decided to go all Yokai-Watch, it wasn't till it's later half of that I got used to the animation but its story is hit and miss but it has he most hear when it comes to community, the message of that region so makes sense despite different paths to battling to some extent.

Now the latest entry Journeys, is like a structured look of S/M but still trying to find it direction in art and story. So as you can see I have had my gripes with Pokemon animation and I gave up on what they should do by S/M. (should of gave up sooner tbh)

So anything that I think now is of inconsequential of what could better, it's a kids show after all and will continue to make the show anyway they like almost regardless of how well it does or not. Same goes for the mainline games, how I feel about is indifference really. If there's a reason a company who makes billions per year on different ventures of Pokemon and they can't even bother to put the effort to do the most when it comes to providing more Pokemon per games, that's on them and those who won't buy. I buy to play what I think is interesting and that is all, nothing more nothing less.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, DLurkster said:

The animation changed more than the voice direction over the years, like Sinnoh and Unova obsessed with burst effects in the backgrounds of Pokemon attacks. Also in Unova anyone who didn't have pupils in their eyes, have pupil and color for their irises too. I like the animation, sound and story of Kalos, you can see the background of where the Pokemon were attacking, with no burst effects or CG, straight animation. Then comes along Sun and Moon decided to go all Yokai-Watch, it wasn't till it's later half of that I got used to the animation but its story is hit and miss but it has he most hear when it comes to community, the message of that region so makes sense despite different paths to battling to some extent.

Do you know if there are any animator/director interviews about the Kalos anime? That was insane--a weekly tie-in show having better art and animation than most serious anime. And the whole XYZ climax being good enough to close out Ash's whole career.

Then going directly from that to... whatever Sun/Moon was doing, plus its chaotically unintelligible voice direction... Feels like the whole team meant for Kalos to be the peak, and now any attempts at real storytelling are relegated to the movies or random side projects like Origins, Twilight Wings, and Evolutions.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

The majority of this episode was dead space with no action and no sound. The human characters just stood and watched, and there were no resolutions of any kind.

Just in case anyone was worried that this might have raised the bar for Pokemon animation...

True about the human characters and maybe the sound but there was action. You did see Lunala and Necrozma fight each other? It wasn't the best but like how Wyndon was beautifully animated I though scene wasn't that bad.

I'm saying that you are putting the wrong idea out there in what you expect but boy sure are letting ppl know this isn't it for you, huh?

• alienboyva changed the title to Pokémon EVOLUTIONS | 📺Episode 2 now available!

There was action, at the very end. Most of the rest was one brief quote or movement, followed by quiet shots of everyone else watching, bordered by silent establishing shots.

It's frustrating to see such good art and concepts ruined by such lousy storyboarding. This is the #1 highest-grossing IP in the world, yet it's always cutting corners in every product.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Lysandre died.....?

I have to say nothing really happened more here in this episode than the last 2, just a lot of self-monologuing by Lysandre, one battle scene, then a couple action action cutscense and that's it. As usual the animation was good, it was good and not great because of the lack of action and very few lines of importance but seeing what was there before, I think this is the best it can go so it could be worse.

• alienboyva changed the title to Pokémon EVOLUTIONS | 📺Episode 3 now available!
  • 2 weeks later...

Huh, a chalking look when comes to the background of the animation this episode. It was like they were trying to re-create the cutscenses of opening title sequence. Love that touch.

There was one battle scene with the Champion Alder, great sparks action shots but to me it seem a little dark to see what was really happening in the battle.

Also, shoutout to Chris Hakney who voiced N in this episode. (Even if it was one line) He also voiced Dimitri in Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

• 1 month later...

Episode 5 is out!

Forgot Barry's father is the head honcho of the battle tower. I prefer this Barry over the impatient one in game and the Pokemon anime. Overall, a not so bad episode in concept. The only jarring thing if you pick up on this or nitpick is the player character already having his Poketch before he got his starter Pokemon. Other than good recap of Barry's journey of strength to his dad.

Thought this episode was a good one but I've a bias with the Delta episode in ORAS, I thought it was spectacular. Despite half of the episode they have Zinnia explaining primal Kyorge and primal Groudon and the dragon tower, along with Rayquaza.

Also, along my bias for the Delta episode, I love Zinnia as a character (one of the best new made up characters in Pokemon remake in recent history) down her do it yourself haircut, the wild look in her eyes and her theme song. (which was featured in this vid)

This is the longest episode they released so far at 10:48.

I also greatly loved this episode. Hoenn is my favourite region (Rayquaza my favourite Pokémon), so seeing such love and effort going into this one just totally hit the spot for me.

My favourite part though was Zinnia giving Aster to May, which immediately but skillfully changed the situation from one of distrustful antagonism to open the door for May to take over when she does. Basically, for me this quite succinctly fixed the pacing trouble I had with the Delta episode, as much as I loved it.

At this point I think it’s safe to say that I have enjoyed Evolutions much more than Generations. The latter was more ice-breaking and hit-or-miss stuff, but this newer mini-series is just so well made!

I love how they left out the Legendary Beasts part (which Generations already went into detail on) to focus on the fact that the tower that burnt was Lugia’s roost… a fact I find rarely gets discussed in much detail when Johto lore is explored. 

The Kimono Girls were also portrayed wonderfully, although they gave a lot of focus to Espeon’s trainer’s… sadness? Or something? Lol I am a bit disappointed that didn’t seemvto go anywhere. Otherwised I realky loved this one… especially naive Totodole and sensitive Gengar. lol

Episode 8 is out now!

This one focus on the the Let's Go game. Starts off with Leaf and she speaks, I thought this is the player characters but later I realize and forget there's a reason for this.

Anyways, your rival from Let's Go!, Trace (this is actually a good name for him for some reason) goes to the Unknown Cave to catch Mewtwo. Trace and Leaf race back and forth to catch Mewtwo. When they make it to the place the real player character of Let's Go! actually caught Mewtwo. (I totally forgot that Leaf only appearance was in this cave and tho she was a player character in Leaf/Green in this game she a guest like Blue in this game and why she speaks and the player character of Let's Go! doesn't in this iteration episode of Let's Go!)

Overall, alright episode even the battle between the player character and leaf should of been great it was okay. (Mewtwo was being Mewtwo, nothing new) Still need to get used to the round head of Pikachu in the Let's Go! universe. Also why is it everytime Pikachu makes a sound, it sound like it is smooching, tho?