Donald Trump elected 45th President of the United States

Chrom

In other news people who didn't vote won't get to complain and guess what? They will complain no matter who's in the Oval Office. I don't care who is in it, seeing as neither Hillary nor Trump one deserves it. If I was forced to vote, I would have voted for a 3rd party choice.

Talked over it with a few people, did my own research, it's highly likely I'm gonna be moving to Cali soon. I'm gonna have to stay with my parents much longer than I wanted to, but for now I'm gonna build up as much money as I can. I'm praying that my internship with the company in gonna work with goes over well and see if, with in a year or so, I can be transferred to Cali. Optimally, in a few months.

Cali was already on the list of places I wanted to move to, but never really considered as more than simply an option to consider down the line, but I need to be somewhere I feel safe and welcome.

While the idea of promoting hope and love that extends to those on the other side is generally a noble one, I really don't know if I can.  I think this has crossed a line.

At this point, behaving in any way that does not imply embarrassment and shame for my country and a good chunk of other Americans would be insincere.

I saw a good post on tumlr that's vaguely similar to ret's. it illustrates why I was always hesitant about shaming trump voters like the centrists and media have been doing non-stop for the last year, even though I hate the man.

the stupid thing about the left is that nobody even bothers to ask why white nationalism exists or why white people choose to embrace white nationalism and just hide behind the word privilege. you can’t explain it away with privilege politics. white people with some high school education from iowa or ohio who watched democratic and republican administrations gut vast regions of the country and leave their economy to rust and crumble aren’t white nationalists because they “love their privilege.”

the states that voted trump used to matter. they were the industrial heartland of the country. now they are desolate, bombed-out flyover states with absolutely no job prospects, neglected infrastructure, and skyrocketing rates of drug addiction. if people living in these conditions can be called privileged, i think that’s enough of a case to abandon the concept of privilege entirely.

it’s white people with the least amount of privilege and status who are attracted to and empowered by white nationalism. only one candidate even had a message for these people or acknowledged that their grievances are important. what was hillary clinton’s message to these people? that they were deplorables. the clinton campaign’s message to these people was that we don’t need you, neither in our campaign coalition or our vision of the future of the country. clinton told these people that they are the past. there was no understanding or sympathy. destroying white nationalism does not mean that we shouldn’t seek to understand why disempowered people embrace it.

some of them are monsters, probably a lot of them, but I don't think most are. and that's probably unpopular with a lot of you, but I'd rather provide a good alternative on the left that gives a voice to their grievances and win them over rather than write them off entirely.

1 minute ago, nornir said:

I saw a good post on tumlr that's vaguely similar to ret's. it illustrates why I was always hesitant about shaming trump voters like the centrists and media have been doing non-stop for the last year, even though I hate the man.

some of them are monsters, probably a lot of them, but I don't think most are. and that's probably unpopular with a lot of you, but I'd rather provide a good alternative on the left that gives a voice to their grievances and win them over rather than write them off entirely.

You bring up a good point with that post. People like him pretty much feed off of it. They want to use the poor and disenfranchised to their advantage. 

12 minutes ago, Cryptic said:

While the idea of promoting hope and love that extends to those on the other side is generally a noble one, I really don't know if I can.  I think this has crossed a line.

At this point, behaving in any way that does not imply embarrassment and shame for my country and a good chunk of other Americans would be insincere.

One can be ashamed of someone's actions or thoughts and still care about them as people.  They're not mutually exclusive.