Questio about Smash Bros character Archetypes

Vector

I've noticed on some Japanese Smash Bros sites, The character playstyles are categorized in 5 categories: Power, Speed, Techincal, Tricky, and Balance. I feel I've seen this kind of categorization in other video games, but my main question is what the difference is between Technical and Tricky types. Does anyone care to explain it to me?

This is just my thoughts on it. Not an official explanation but using other games with similar categories for this thought. Mario Tennis is "other games."

Technical I think would be the character's moves and strategies being used to break your opponents down in a way that takes advantage of their shortcomings. I could be wrong with this example being that you have more control over your character or actions (like hitting the ball in Tennis). Can't think of a Smash character that fits this at the moment. Maybe Captain Falcon?

Tricky would be more like misdirection or tricking your opponent into situations you can take advantage of with your moves. Like in Mario Tennis where a Tricky character has lots of curve in their shots. I see Diddy as a Tricky character.

I'm sure the other Smash players on here if they see this could maybe offer a better explanation. @DLurkster@purple_beard @TheBarkinHyena @Eliwood8 @Surge135

I don't know for sure either, but if I had to guess, Technical characters focus on fine-tuned combos and precision inputs while Tricky characters focus on disrupting opponents with traps and hazards? Those are the best categories I can think of that wouldn't be covered by the other three.

Whoa Krazy, I am a Smash player but I hardly play Nintendo other arcade like games for sport but I think most know from like Tennis and Golf what those terms are and what they mean there. Translating that to Smash is crossing a stream that is foreign to me as well. What brought up as example seems like a good one-to-one what a tricky player would be. I would add Duck Hunt Dog and Hero to that tricky list.

What I would say who are technical are street brawler characters like Ken and Ryu, Terry and Kazuya. They all have command inputs on top of using those move like Smash, those command inputs if you like just add more oomph to their moves. Any character that have alternate forms with their specials or require inputs that go beyond Smash norms like Ness and Corrin.

The others seem pretty obvious with speed, power and balance. Just putting it out there as so obvious. Mario is balanced.

34 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

I prefer general fighting game archetype terms that also commonly apply to Smash. Rushdown, zoner, bait and punish, etc. Some mean the same thing as the above mentioned categories though, just in different words/labels. y;

Yes, that what most know the term tho they mean the same thing by the Smash pros. I didn't even know the Japanese websites called Smash fighters these labels.

Funny that they they mean the same thing when there's twice more the labels to the west then these ones I know from Nintendo arcade sports games. Why is that?

On 9/6/2021 at 4:40 PM, Vector said:

I've noticed on some Japanese Smash Bros sites, The character playstyles are categorized in 5 categories: Power, Speed, Techincal, Tricky, and Balance. I feel I've seen this kind of categorization in other video games, but my main question is what the difference is between Technical and Tricky types. Does anyone care to explain it to me?

I'm not pro player or play enough to contemplate Smash on that level but I would assume that....

Technical is more "standard" moves, tactics, and combos and thus moves closer to a fighting game character

Tricky would lean towards "gimmick" moves like say Villager's bagging tactic...Inkling's dropping to the floor for refills.... or arguably other's skills with projectiles...