Nintendo Q1 (Apr-Jun) 2021 Earnings Results (Sales Data)

Hey all!

It has been a while since I've posted one of these threads but figured I'd get back into providing updates.  The most recent data for the time period ending June 30th and released August 5th are as follows below. (Link to data here)

The last time I posted one of these threads Switch was closing in on 80 million units sold and this was back in February.  Here, the system is closing in on 90 million and in all likelihood has since passed that number since this data was tracked and concluded on June 30th.  In the timespan since my last thread and this one the total sales of Switch to date has eclipsed the Nintendo 3DS, the Sony PSP, the entire GBA family of systems combined, the XBOX 360 and the Playstation 3. 

To put into perspective how crazy this is, the Wii (which was a phenomenon unto itself) didn't hit this number until September 2011, nearly five years after its initial launch and after two price drops.  One to $199 in 2009 and another to $149 in mid 2011.  Switch is at this number now at just over four years since launch and not a single price reduction. (although the cheaper Lite model has been introduced during this time)  Next up to be passed in the gaming system hall of fame are Wii (101M) and PS1 (102M).

On the software front, the usual suspects continue to prove their evergreen status and cementing them as the most successful entries in those IP of all time.  Mario Kart 8 Deluxe alone will have sold more than Mario Kart Wii during its lifetime.  Pokemon Sword and Shield are within spitting distance of Gold and Silver to become the second highest selling in the franchise, although with the way sales have tapered Red/Blue will continue to remain king.  Although New Pokemon Snap came into the picture with some awesome sales as a much needed revival.  Ring Fit Adventure has also hopped up from outside the Top Ten million sellers by overtaking New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.  Unfortunately, Nintendo hasn't provided an extensive list of million sellers outside the top ten, but new entries include New Pokemon Snap, Mario Golf Super Rush and Miitopia!

Nintendo Switch - 89.04M

Switch Top Ten Million Sellers

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 37.08M

Animal Crossing New Horizons - 33.89M

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 24.77M

TLoZ: Breath of the Wild - 23.20M

Pokemon Sword/Shield - 21.85M

Super Mario Odyssey - 21.40M

Super Mario Party - 15.72M

Pokemon LG Pikachu/Eevee - 13.57M

Splatoon 2 - 12.45M

Ring Fit Adventure - 11.26M

Additional Million Sellers Outside Top Ten

New Pokemon Snap - 2.07M

Mario Golf: Super Rush - 1.34M

Miitopia - 1.04M

Edited by Kezay
2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I love mk8dlx but darn is mk8 getting old, especially the fans that started with the wiiu +dlc version.

Really starts to make you wonder when the next one arrives....

It has been long past time for a new home system Mario Kart, that's for sure.  It's great to see that Nintendo knocked it out of the park with MK8 but if they're done with pushing DLC for it then I certainly hope a new entry is waiting in the wings to be revealed at some point.

6 hours ago, Kezay said:

It has been long past time for a new home system Mario Kart, that's for sure.  It's great to see that Nintendo knocked it out of the park with MK8 but if they're done with pushing DLC for it then I certainly hope a new entry is waiting in the wings to be revealed at some point.

I guess it also depends on how the view tour and live offerings.....

No surprise with MK8DX, no offense that seem like repetitive and old news to me. I get really interested when games like New Pokemon Snap and Mario Golf Super Rush have sold that many copies in that short amount of time, especially Mario Golf. That game came out June 25th so it sold that many in 5 days. And kudos to Ring Fit Adventure as well.

When you hear Monster Hunter Stories 2 selling 5x the amount the first game on 3DS when that had a decent install base when that game came out is crazy ridiculous. The Switch effect is real and will help Metroid Dread in October, also help you have a new system variant coming out as the same time too.

Despite all of that, I heard (but forgot where) the sales this quarter were down where they were a year ago (not by much) but a business will report that despite all the milestones they broke and will break more going forward. Of course that dip may have to do with that we were in the middle of the pandemic with nothing to do so you won't see a repeat or beyond that.

Also will add as the NPD came out this weekend for July and SSHD top the sales without digital confirmation from Nintendo. I expected it to sell well but not top the whole thing. That is where I learned of MHS 2 being the top 3 sold game of last month. I can't say for certain as we know for sure controversy sold Pokemon S&S to be the 2nd best selling Pokemon mainline title but is that what happened with SSHD too? It was bad as S&S but controversy is controversy, right?

Personally, I think SSHD sales are pumped up by two things 1) BotW2 trailer showing link flying like in that game (people going back to revisit the game for tie ins to BotW2) and 2) BotW turned a lot of people onto Zelda in the Switch era so they are checking out legacy titles they can play on the Switch.  I'm sure the sweet Joy Cons didn't hurt either LOL.

I haven't forgotten those factors for this outing, it's clear that helped (whether it needed it is neither here or there) and why I didn't bring those up.

At the end of the day, new Zelda fan or not from BotW, how you played the game and its conclusion remains to be seen if there's a connection. I believe and most for now it is not confirmed.

Pretty much there's probably a lot factors why it did well, slow month with no comparable competition of genre, connections to BotW 2, new merch with the port, the slight controversy with the port, Switch effect or all of the above; it did great.

23 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I guess it also depends on how the view tour and live offerings.....

Considering Nintendo's stance/approach to mobile I'd be hard pressed to think they see Tour as the "next" Mario Kart despite having the series veteran, Konno, still leading as producer.  I'd say ditto for Live as well.  If nothing else, that's my hope anyway.

3 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I haven't forgotten those factors for this outing, it's clear that helped (whether it needed it is neither here or there) and why I didn't bring those up.

At the end of the day, new Zelda fan or not from BotW, how you played the game and its conclusion remains to be seen if there's a connection. I believe and most for now it is not confirmed.

Pretty much there's probably a lot factors why it did well, slow month with no comparable competition of genre, connections to BotW 2, new merch with the port, the slight controversy with the port, Switch effect or all of the above; it did great.

I don't think it's something that requires such a heavy handed literal approach.  Sure, it's not confirmed that SSHD is the result of spill over from BotW players but it's also not an unreasonable assumption to make.  Breath of the Wild is far and away the most popular Zelda to date and it's still carrying on in sales with no problem.  That even a fraction of newly interested Zelda fans might take a look at other Zelda titles as they release (such as Link's Awakening and now SSHD) would make for a great result.  Even if there are other factors at play I feel that enhances the possibility that newly interested Zelda fans are taking a chance even to just see what it's all about.

13 hours ago, Kezay said:

I don't think it's something that requires such a heavy handed literal approach.  Sure, it's not confirmed that SSHD is the result of spill over from BotW players but it's also not an unreasonable assumption to make.  Breath of the Wild is far and away the most popular Zelda to date and it's still carrying on in sales with no problem.  That even a fraction of newly interested Zelda fans might take a look at other Zelda titles as they release (such as Link's Awakening and now SSHD) would make for a great result.  Even if there are other factors at play I feel that enhances the possibility that newly interested Zelda fans are taking a chance even to just see what it's all about.

Yes, the correlational between BotW 2 hype and newcomers to BotW in general is not hard to see and is probably evident why Skyward Sword did so well this time around in a short amount of time. I'm pretty sure we, between the vocal minority that said this game is not worth it, we heard a lot of folks say they are getting this game because this game was before BotW and want to experience what made BotW special to them. There's definitely power in that and the install base of those who own BotW on Switch for sure.

As I said the the other factors may or may not help but to how much may not matter much with above love and curiosity of Zelda this gen have seen an renaissance. Not that it needed sales wise, Zelda was doing alright but BotW on Switch show it can do more with proper timing with a new system launching with it. I think it still would of sold well even not a launch but that and the breath of ingenuity is what really spark interest in to the sales Zelda is seeing this gen.

17 hours ago, Kezay said:

Considering Nintendo's stance/approach to mobile I'd be hard pressed to think they see Tour as the "next" Mario Kart despite having the series veteran, Konno, still leading as producer.  I'd say ditto for Live as well.  If nothing else, that's my hope anyway.

@ MK

Both games took development time so...  Arguably Tour more so...  But I feel trends set in Tour and its closes rival the Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled make me feel like we are getting A TON more characters, karts, parts, and customization options for racers and kart looks.

@ SSHD

Yeah, I kind of agree with you and your point sounds similar to mine... BotW sales got a lot of new interest in Zelda, so Zelda titles will be of interest to newcomers to the series.  Then based on later trailers for BotW 2 looking like some stuff coming out of SSHD I think some are wanting to see how that worked in an earlier game.

• Chrom featured this topic

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/08/nintendos_share_value_trends_downward_as_investor_analyst_gives_sell_advice

*has visions of the scene from Trading Places where he goes "SELL RANDOLPH, SELL!"  LOL

Find it interesting its the same site that predicted the "Pro" that didn't come to be.... yet....

Taking a grain of salt, the pandemic fueled a lot of sales last year so a decline is almost expected....for everyone....

But I think the news articles hinting at this Pro model being a legit thing and that is NOT what actually came to be (...as of yet) could put the cool down on investor hype unless some really big titles get shown to fuel system sales, the only thing left will be a true upgraded piece of hardware.

I hinted at this in original post here, that despite the great strides the Switch did this quarter this year in hardware and software, compared to last year at this time they sold more most likely because of the pandemic. I don't know if all investors or like this or Nintendo's are exclusive to this stupidity club. (This isn't the only thing they made aware they stupid, this is just another notch on the belt for them)

The shares going down is understandable in any market, when either projection are not met, rumor of good things to come or bad publicity. All these shake up the market so yeah, like take this share drop and why is a grain a salt to take seriously and dem the rolls of the market when investing, right? I only obviously ask because I never invested in anything in my life and from what little exposure I see with Nintendo investors, (probably a bad outlier) that is the risk of investing. To me that doesn't entitle those to not do their research in what they invest before easing off, jumping ship or asking dumb questions without no forethought of the company philosophy. That's all I'm saying when come to Nintendo's investors expectations and do a little research before they say thing ridiculous and look and sound like don't know why they invested with Nintendo in the first place, to me.