Pokemon Direct - Aug 18 - 6AM PDT - DP Remakes and Arceus Focused

About damn time!

The last news we got for these pair of games was in late May with their release dates, that lined up with what the TPC does in sharing Pokemon news before E3 and such. June and July past and no news. My guess is that either this month or the next, maybe we would hear some news. This month would be more likely if the rumor of a Nintendo Direct next month are to come to fruition. A while back Pokemon news were showed in ND and I say with this Pokemon Present the possibility of ND next month is looking more likely now.

I don't believe we had any presents longer than 12 minutes so it will be a short one again. What will be shown is a hellmary when it comes to returning features and new ones for BPSP. I guess the time is right to have more of in-depth look at Arceus. We're little over 4 months till its release and even a guess at that is unknown as well, we know the premise of the story but what sort of gameplay or more story can they show.

Either way I am looking forward to this present despite it being short and why their presents are always early in the morning?!? Doing the time conversion in Japan and history of presentation at this time, it would be the evening for over in Japan. That the only reason I think TPC does it as this time. Sigh.

• EH_STEVE changed the title to Pokemon Direct - Aug 18 - 6AM PDT - DP Remakes and Arceus Focused

My predictions:

*Looker side-plot is cut

*Battle Frontier is $30 DLC

*Same exact regional Dex as DP with none of the expansions from Platinum

*Distortion World is relegated to a postgame sidequest involving Ultra Wormholes and parallel universes

*Pre-order both versions and choose between a special Darkrai, Manaphy, or Shaymin, to be dilivered via Mystery Gift. To get all three, you pre-order two additional copies of each version. Neither of the original Gen4 special events exist in the game's code.

*Junichi Masuda will personally jump out of your Switch and insert live bugs directly into your anus.

I was gonna edit my first post to mention this.

The presents will be 28 minutes long, as I mentioned before the long presents was 12 minutes. This is quite amount of time talk about these titles.

I am even a little more hype with the length alone now.

30 minutes ago, Link, the Hero of Dreams said:

I wanted more about any other S&S Expansions! 

*FREE THE POKE'MON* 

But... meh. 

Valid even if a joke. I am personally over the the gripe of that gen. (tho I never really saw much issue, I get for those it affected but it just didn't for me)

Also, not saying the expansion makes it up for those who didn't like the cut Pokemon but the content they provide was a fresh spin for Pokemon and I appreciate both expansions. Liked the Crown Tundra more than Isle of armor tho.

• Chrom featured this topic

Also nice to see the return of Pokémon Following you in BDSP - and implemented well

And the return and revamp of Contests, the Grand Underground, Capsules and Union Room is pretty cool… the clothing options look pretty nice too

Especially the expanded Underground with the Bases and Hideaways

Though makes me wonder if there’s going to be anything from Platinum implemented like the Battle Frontier (…….Platinum had that, right? It’s been ages since I’ve played it)

Also wonder if we’ll finally be able to get the Event Flute and have access to Arceus - I don’t recall if that was ever distributed or got scrapped - I remember hearing about it, but I can’t remember the details atm

Also wonder if we’ll have access to other parts like Darkrai,Shaymin, Cresselia, ect

https://diamondpearl.pokemon.com/en-us/shop/manphy-bonus/

Also looks like you can get a Manaphy Egg as a early purchase bonus via Mystery Gift and also Phione from breeding and some other Pokéball bonuses depending on which version you buy

Looks like I’ll have to try and preorder and/or  buy and download that early

Wonder if you’ll be able to Shiny hunt the two or if they’re going to be shiny locked ….

I really hope they don’t Shiny lock legends in this game -  I really find it irritating when they lock Legends/Myths and never actually have events or distribute them - would be nice to Shiny hunt them

The Team Galactic remix and galaxy styled battle area looks pretty nice, too

________

On another note, I really like how different Arceus is to other mainline games we’ve gotten in the past - I’m really looking forward to this when it comes out

And having Pokémon mounts in Arceus looks pretty cool and fun - I really like some of these new evolutions and formes of them, too

Wonder what other new evolutions of formes that are in the game that we haven’t seen yet?

——

some of the Masters stuff is looking pretty nice - I don’t seem to login as much as I should- missing out of bonus gems here and there

Edited by Shadow118

The Diamond and Pearl Switch remakes look better than when I last saw it. Well maybe not the chibi characters in the overworld, they still look cursed. 
It’s cool that the underground is being expanded. I forgot the contest was a thing in the original Diamond and Pearl.

I don’t know how I feel that it’s turned more into a rhythm type mini game, unless it was like that in the DS versions?

It’s also nice to see your lead Pokémon follow you in the overworld too. 

Legends of Arceus looks more polished that when they first showed it off too. Kinda weird that the region had a different name in the past than it does now.

The new forms and evolutions seem pretty cool. Basculegion already has a dark description for how it evolves. Wyrdeer is pretty solid evolution design for Stantler, something standard but over the top like some existing Pokémon that for some reasons got evolutions in gen 4. Hisuian Growlithe looks cute, but it’s supposedly Fire/Rock presuming it’s still retains its fire typing. Not a fan of Hisuian Braviary’s design, even thought it mostly still looks like Braviary. It getting psychic typing sounds cool though.

I’m pretty sure there’s already been theories about this, but I have a feeling that this might not be the original past of the DS D/P/Plt Shinoh. With all the different games’ timelines and multiverses, I wouldn’t be surprised if this past was created from a “bad end” of Pokémon D/P/Plt where Team Galactic wasn’t stopped, but unintentionally created an alternate past of Shinoh. But that’s just me trying to big brain theory craft to make the story more interesting.

Starting with BDSP, so basically the only real new thing to these remakes is the underground Hideaways to find Pokemon you normally cannot get in Sinnoh. That's cool but when all the other stuff disguised new is following Pokemon, revamped contests and the style change only present in contest in ORAS can be wear everywhere is great but like all these additions, they are features that were once taken from us and return to soften what's new in BPSP.

I'm not sure if it was time away not hearing anything for BDSP and the improvements visually that has changed my tune for the slightly better but this tolerable for this remake. I just hate I was right that there isn't anything new per se and why I didn't bother predicting anything at all, overall with what I did and didn't expect with better visuals I am content with what could of been much worse to offer this remake.

5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

What's this?! Arceus actually looks somewhat decent?! I can't believe it!

Surely GameFreak will find some way to fuck this up, won't they?

Tho is funny running joke with GF I really hope this doesn't come to fruition. Like even if you are being genuine about Legend Arceus or not with what was shown, I am blown away by the presentation, objectives, gameplay, and new Pokemon evolutions and forms as well.

We can't for certain right now know what will wreck all of this but if there's one thing GF does is fuck up somewhere, somehow. (Noticed I said not good at fucking up, I don't want to give them too much credit for that, lol)

As a non-Pokemon player I thought the Diamond and Pearl upgrades and tweaks looked decent for a reissue of sorts.

Arceus looks pretty darn good...not quite in that buyable category for me but...    Maybe it was semantics or maybe I missed something but are you actually battling in this game like other Pokemon games because I understood it as you are going around and filling out your Pokedex with Pokemon you capture and you need to train your team so you can go after more difficult Pokemon to get--on other words not directly battling other trainers....just on a giant collection fest.

49 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Arceus looks pretty darn good...not quite in that buyable category for me but...    Maybe it was semantics or maybe I missed something but are you actually battling in this game like other Pokemon games because I understood it as you are going around and filling out your Pokedex with Pokemon you capture and you need to train your team so you can go after more difficult Pokemon to get--on other words not directly battling other trainers....just on a giant collection fest.

No misunderstanding what said above is what exactly is going on but you bringing up training up a team brings another question. There's probably a explanation why you can only carry 6 Pokemon with you at a time but what happens to any Pokemon after you caught 6? Yes, you have a base to heal Pokemon but since this is ancient times, there would be no PC to store Pokemon after 6 are caught. You see in the presentation that they are making the Pokedex with a notebook, which was expected but how do explain keeping more than 6 Pokemon. It's one thing to encyclopedia the Sinnoh dex but another where all those mons are gonna be after you caught 6.

Probably overthinking that but I think is a good question whether or not it will be address or properly is what I like to know if possible.

EDIT: I thought about my question and the only reasonable thing they can do is have Pokemon you caught stay at Daycare. It will still might function like Daycare of old but be a place where you switch Pokemon team out. Pokemon have never been realistic with logistic so tho you would need a a really big Daycare, there will be a part like normal to raise their levels and breed and other to just store Pokemon to take in and out of a party. As for where it will be, the base we see to heal your Pokemon doesn't look like a place to take Pokemon freely from or even communicate with the one Daycare what Pokemon you want. This might be bad news but the only Daycare will be at Jubilife Village. At least you can fly to it anywhere but to always go there to change Pokemon is to fit with the times not inconvenience

Edited by DLurkster

I'm just gonna say it, both games are looking good.  While the chibi look on the overworld can be hit or miss depending on preference BD/SP are looking pretty darn good.  Not that it looked bad before because that same polish is there but I get why the chibi look would be a turn off for some.  But as a game being an updated representation of the original, it's doing good things.

Legends Arceus also had a much better trailer.  I still have questions from a gameplay and story beats perspective but it's definitely giving off some "here is a world, get messy and have fun" vibes that BotW was giving off pre-release in its footage.  Was definitely taken aback by the Pokemon who have a different style/look now as a result of the times/region but it's a nice touch.  Further exploring the idea of a world where the interaction between Pokemon and humans as partners was still in its infancy I'm looking forward to what this whole Pokemon rampage effect seems to be headed in.

I'm curious though how future mainline games will develop and evolve though.  I still have yet to get Crown Tundra but I liked how much more polished and expanded the Wild Area gameplay was in Isle of Armor and I can see them continuing down such a road in a future games.  I don't know if what they're doing with Legends Arceus will make that jump but I'm definitely not going to be against there being another self contained series of games that tries different things without being tied to the same tropes as the main games.  I can imagine a pattern of releases where we get a main game/remake one year and the following year another adventure/action style game that follows the Legends Arceus formula.

Eh, just a thought.

@Kezay: Every since 2018's Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, the mainline titles have been branching out just strictly mainlines and remake mainlines. We haven't see another Let's Go game since, it will be 3 years this November. Now we seem to be getting the evolution of the Wild Areas in S&S for Pokemon Legends Arceus, with focus on set objectives and exploration. I'm not exactly saying the GF in question is throwing a bunch stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks but It is admirable they are branching out. The only concern I have is spreading themselves thin with these venturing avenues. I wouldn't worry if GF was like Monolift Soft, they were a somewhat small team and now they have a team big enough where they can divide themselves in 3 parts now, GF doesn't have that luxury despite the year of success and profits they made over the years. They are not as small as they were when Pokemon first came on the scene but last 2 gens shows they don't have the manpower to keep up the load they built for themselves in the last 25 years. That may be part of the reason at least this time and why they have PCL take over for the remake so GF can solely focus on Legends Arceus. I hope they continue and trust other folks to make mainline remakes and such. TPC have other devs make games outside the mainline, why can't this be so for mainline? They have reach a point where they either need get more on board or off put some of the load for other mainline project to those they trust to make, while GF can focus on future projects that will expand the mainline Pokemon games in new ways like Legend Arceus.

As for where the next gen mainline Pokemon with exploration like Legends Arceus and S&S Wild Area, how about Australia (the outback) or if you want to explore an expansive rainforest like South America?

Edited by DLurkster