Santa Destroy - N4A Chat Thread - August 2021

Tyranogre

I finally got a pack of the Animal Crossing ✕ Sanrio amiibo cards. These have been hell to find thanks to scalpers and NOA making them "store exclusive".

These are starting to show back up at Target stores in the U.S., despite no longer being listed on their website. If you missed out on these in March, I highly recommend checking your local Target. 

Edited by alienboyva

I'm almost fully convinced that there's a specific part of the human brain that's in charge of appreciating new media and pop-culture trends, and that when you reach a certain age, that part of the brain just stops working.

Our parents thought that video games were just a passing fad that would be forgotten about in a few years, but their parents felt the exact same way about rock n' roll. And now I find myself looking down on current "popular" games like Among Us or Fortnite with the same sort of disdain that my parents used to look down on Pokemon. Like, obviously these games must be at least somewhat decent if they have such huge fanbases, but I completely fail to see what the appeal is at all.

Has "it" happened to me?

Lately I've been feeling old over the fact I started college ten years ago. I've been pretty bored at work almost all year, so the last few months I've been trying to study for my Security+. It's difficult to consistently find the time and motivation, though. Honestly I feel like the most fulfilling way I could spend my free time would be reading. Whether it's fiction or an autobiography, it would help give me some inspiration or perspective more than another certification.

10 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Why does K. Rool want all those bananas anyways?

*clears throat*
so,, after 3000+ hours spent speedrunning DKC1... y;
my actual theory is that the Kongs are creating bioengineered soldiers on DK Island, of which K. Rool was the most powerful.
there are actually quite a few things in the game that suggest that animals are being manufactured on the island. the first and most obvious are the dumb drums; the little barrels that continuously spit out enemies, as though from an instant source. the second is the animal buddies themselves, who literally come in crates stamped with their face that are littered all across the island. in Coral Capers, the first water stage in the game, you can even get two separate Enguardes and have them right next to each other. third, animals are of very disparate size across the island. compared to nearly every other animal baddie. the Kongs are tiny. simple beavers are nearly half their size, hornets are roughly the same, and many enemies are noticeably taller than DK and Diddy. most notably, the other Kremlings stand quite a bit taller. it suggests that some artificial changes may have been made, or at least that the Kongs are otherwise distinct from the rest of the creatures in the area.
the Kremlings themselves lend credence to the idea, as they are mainly bipedal lizards with very human
-like physiques. most other animals in the game are fairly similar to their real-life counterparts, size notwithstanding, but the Kremlings walk like humans and have strangely similar musculature. named after them on DK Island is Kremcroc Industries, which is a mass of factories, deep mines, and polluted environments. the game never really specifies what is being created here though, nor do you see any actual manufacturing going on amongst the Kremlings. however, there is a much higher concentration of dumb drums in the levels, scattered amongst all the mining paraphernalia.
so, essentially, i believe that the Kongs are essentially oversee the creation of the Kremlings and other animals across the islands, and base their operations on the island. their plan is to conquer the surrounding islands, which you can see going into effect in DKC2, in which you can see DK Island off in the distance on the map screen in the first world. later on, they aim at many areas in the Northern Kremisphere in the third game.
K. Rool may have been originally intended to be a commander for the rest of the Kremlings, but instead leads an uprising. the bananas are simply a ruse--a useful tool for baiting the Kongs into a disadvantageous fight due to their inherent value for DK. when it fails, he resorts instead to capturing DK himself, and later even uses the Kongs' technology against them in 3 by using both DK and Diddy in the creation of a robot. his efforts fail, however, and the Kongs are able to exert their force and settle throughout all the areas in the series, to the point of having already established schools and commerce in the areas of DKC2 and 3 by the time the action in those games take place.

Edited by April