Nintendo to shut down payment options for the 3DS and Wii U eShops starting 1/18/22

We all knew it was coming eventually.

https://finalweapon.net/2021/07/19/the-use-of-payment-options-for-the-wii-u-and-3ds-nintendo-eshops-will-be-discontinued-starting-january-18th-2022/

Important to note, however, that this DOES NOT mean that the eShops themselves are shutting down (not yet, anyway); it merely means that it will no longer be possible to add funds to your account via those particular shops. It should still be possible to buy software for the 3DS, Wii U, and their respective Virtual Consoles by adding funds to your account via your Switch and redeeming them on one of the older systems, as long as they're all linked to the same Nintendo account. Likewise, you will also be able to use eShop cards to add funds to your balance.

While still a sad announcement, it's a whole lot less dire than it could've been, all things considered.

Tho this is for Japan for now, this is good heads up indicator when NA will be next. I believe a similar thing happened in Europe earlier this year or late last year.

As for buying thing on 3DS and Wii U, I have slowed down a bit and every since that breach of information, (was it last year?) I have unlinked my NintendoID with my Switch and fortified my Switch login 2 step verification. At least for now in NA and Japan for a short while credit payments won't be a option.

Still a good thing to have a heads up on, thanks Ty!;)