Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl

• 1 month later...

Who doesn't know April O'Neil from the TMNT. This her in ultimate OG form like how the turtles look in this game. It sort of wouldn't of made sense to have another version of her.

Including this April, there's 4 of her now.

The 80's....

April O'Neil - Wikipedia

The 2000's...

1519299760_AprilONeil2003.webp.17628430f46de5af114fa9acdc64ace7.webp

The 2012...

Come Get Some — 2012 April O'Neil

And the latest April O'Neil...

Transparent_April.thumb.webp.eabaf83f8a64014457e8d389fc198b8e.webp

As you can see the common thing among the Aprils is that she is identified by her always wearing something yellow from the 80's. Beside the last iteration always a red head as well. The last 2 April they decided to make her Teenager. Fun act most of the cast of the new iteration of TMNT are African-American, that includes the 2018 April as well.

As for how she fights, as much as I am super hyped for her she looks boring to fight with, her aerials look cool but that's about it for me.

CatDog fights like if the ICs were fused together like Duck Hunt, that's what I see and they look like fun to me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I watch the gameplay vids of this game. I like what I seen so far but something is off and after a few watches....I realize the game devoid of characters sounds, it is so funny of years of Smash even Smash 64, all the characters made sounds when they attacked and when hit as well. The game just sounds eerily quiet with just slap sounds and the stages music, you'd think that would be enough or anyone pick up on but like I said year of Smash have tuned to expect that.

So I have to say this but that might be a deal breaker for me even with wavedashing, rollback and such. Maybe I gotta to see more but I cannot unhear what I didn't hear in this case. Not saying between Nintendo and Nickelodeon they deserve the best when it comes to how the characters sound but these characters are special to all generations of their times. I get that maybe it wasn't feasible to get all the OG VO for the older character series to reprise their roles for this stint but I can't get over what seemly seems obvious to have and that is because of Smash.

We'll see if I turn around or maybe get this on sale (and I am turned off by saying to get this on sale ) but I am too turned off by the lack of voices from the characters.

23 hours ago, DLurkster said:

So I watch the gameplay vids of this game. I like what I seen so far but something is off and after a few watches....I realize the game devoid of characters sounds, it is so funny of years of Smash even Smash 64, all the characters made sounds when they attacked and when hit as well. The game just sounds eerily quiet with just slap sounds and the stages music, you'd think that would be enough or anyone pick up on but like I said year of Smash have tuned to expect that.

So I have to say this but that might be a deal breaker for me even with wavedashing, rollback and such. Maybe I gotta to see more but I cannot unhear what I didn't hear in this case. Not saying between Nintendo and Nickelodeon they deserve the best when it comes to how the characters sound but these characters are special to all generations of their times. I get that maybe it wasn't feasible to get all the OG VO for the older character series to reprise their roles for this stint but I can't get over what seemly seems obvious to have and that is because of Smash.

We'll see if I turn around or maybe get this on sale (and I am turned off by saying to get this on sale ) but I am too turned off by the lack of voices from the characters.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nickelodeon-all-star-brawl-dlc-confirmed-may-add-voice-acting-later/

They wanted to focus entirely on the gameplay first. They might add voice acting later.

I can tell that was intention. Not everybody can all be what Smash is and better, there's always something that takes greater priority in this case VO.

I said would wait for a sale but let me see more character showcases till launch and how reviews will be in a few weeks. This game looks promising, but if most come to this thru Smash and know what I am talking about and feel the sort of disconnect with VO for characters. Sometimes no matter how promising a game looks if there's something that feel off that you can't shake, time may help prior to purchase if one decide to take the dive.

From what we've seen so far from developer showcases:

*Spongebob is the Mario - easy to pick-up-and-play, well-rounded, designed for new players to learn the ropes.

*Patrick is the only character revealed so far with traditional fighting game inputs, particularly a Zangief-esque command grab.

*Reptar is like Bowser - a slow, powerful heavyweight with a short-range projectile breath attack.

*CatDog plays like Pyra and Mythra - they have a stance system wherein their moves are mostly similar, but have slight changes depending on whether Cat or Dog is the current "leader".

*Ren and Stimpy play like Banjo-Kazooie - a smaller character riding on a larger character's back, and their moveset involves using each other's bodies as weapons.

*Zim plays like Rosalina with GIR as his Luma - a puppet fighter who sends out a "minion" to attack and help setup combos with them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's like every other week I catch up with the roster of fighters in this game and ones that have not officially been revealed like Aang and Korra below.

As I said with how I have been sporadically viewing these vids, these ones just speak to me more so to post over other recent showcases like Olga, Reptar, Danny Phantom, Nigel Thornberry, or the 2 Ninja Turtles. I love all those characters but how they been just sort of randomly releasing these and how I some character intricacies than others.

They really have these 2 Avatar fight like they do in their respective shows, especially for Korra fighting with mostly firebending moves. She uses all the elements more than Aang and that's accurate too but she uses firebending the most.

As for Aang yes, he is airbender first and foremost but tho he doesn't use all the elements all the time sans Avatar State but I'd say they front loaded him too much with airbending moves. Yeah, he may not have favored technquies with other elements like Korra but he uses them outside the Avatar state. That little odd to me but yeah he is humble airbender alright. I do like the touch that is neutral B when he is over 100% he goes in the Avatar State and uses all 4 elements.

Avatar first started airing at pretty much the exact point where I stopped watching Nickelodeon as a kid, so I always just saw it as an anime ripoff.

—-

Zim and Powdered Toast Man are the only two confirmed characters who haven’t had their own showcase videos yet. That just leaves three slots left for the base roster.

Good to know how much left and the game releases Tuesday. I don't know if they release vids on the weekend but if not they have all they Monday to do the 3 and like to today they showcase 3 characters so it is definitely possible to do before release.

For me the drop of point I stop watching Nickelodeon was the Fairy Odd Parents/Danny Phantom, which coincidentally were made by Butch Hartman. I was in the middle of HS at the time. Those shows were interesting to watch at the time, oddly enough when the Avatarverse came in it was only a year after those series came out that Avatar came in existence. I personally didn't start to watch that show till the very end half of season 1, some reason didn't watch season  2 till years later and watched all of season 3 when aired and that 4 part finale. That's my tight connection with the Avatar cartoons and Korra when that eventually released.

@Ridley Prime: You know I think  noticed the Ganon stomp but didn't notice the latter 2 and that 2nd one is being generous with the Korra and Ganondorf comparison. They pretty much nailed Ganondorf up tilt, tho.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Avatar first started airing at pretty much the exact point where I stopped watching Nickelodeon as a kid, so I always just saw it as an anime ripoff.

That's kind of unfair to Avatar, especially when it had better writing than a lot of anime, both at the time and now.

I don't know; comments like this just never seem in good faith if you haven't given a series a chance. As for calling action cartoons an anime ripoff, well... They can have some anime feel to them whether in art style or tone, and in often cases works out and ends up being part of what people love about certain shows, like the original Teen Titans, and yes Avatar too.