THE Skyward Sword HD (non HD too) thread 7/16

I seen that vid and as much as I want to really go on what's in that video, I don't want to set my expectations too high or I'll disappoint myself once BotW 2 is released and I play it for myself. I want go into that game with almost zero expectations, to some don't want the spoilers leading up to its release, personally I never mind like BotW. That was a wild hype to release and obviously we are not gonna see the same, maybe but would be nice. Not expecting anything more than what we got for BotW.

For now just gonna stick to there's sky elements in Botw 2 and that is it, not gonna stretch it out more than that.

Welcome to SSHD club!

I've seen so many others online outside this form post their haul like yours PB.

Tho mine might not look much but that newspaper from 10 yrs ago means a lot to me and makes up for not having the box for the original SS. I still have the Golden WiiMote Plus and Nunchuck I got thru Club Nintendo. It wasn't till 2012 that I started to keep the box of games and such. I don't know where the SS original box is, it probably was thrown out. The CD is probably misplaced but from like 2014 and onward and CD soundtrack, I have a record of them. Like the Sm4sh test sound, like that CD I've made copies where every I listen to music which is primarily my phone. I used to put game music on my N3DS XL Majora Mask edition put stopped sometime ago.

I might post all my Zelda amiibo I own, (outside the box) including the latest edition Zelda & Loftwing in the post amiibo thread. I feel like I am being outlassed with my spread of SSHD showcase.

1 minute ago, DLurkster said:

Welcome to SSHD club!

I've seen so many others online outside this form post their haul like yours PB.

Tho mine might not look much but that newspaper from 10 yrs ago means a lot to me and makes up for not having the box for the original SS. I still have the Golden WiiMote Plus and Nunchuck I got thru Club Nintendo. It wasn't till 2012 that I started to keep the box of games and such. I don't know where the SS original box is, it probably was thrown out. The CD is probably misplaced but from like 2014 and onward and CD soundtrack, I have a record of them. Like the Sm4sh test sound, like that CD I've made copies where every I listen to music which is primarily my phone. I used to put game music on my N3DS XL Majora Mask edition put stopped sometime ago.

I might post all my Zelda amiibo I own, (outside the box) including the latest edition Zelda & Loftwing in the post amiibo thread. I feel like I am being outlassed with my spread of SSHD showcase.

I kept the box for my Wii version because of all the pack in goodies and I liked the gold box.

Never did the gold Wiichuck....too many hoops to jump through.

The tri-fold displayer looks nice, its like a picture put on a cardboard backer.  Pretty nice for a bonus IMO.

I had to put all of this together if I was going to take a pic though... LOL....

A blue and purple color comparison...

The blues are REAL close but the Zelda is slightly bolder/deeper....  Purple Zelda is a lot closer in tone to the blues obviously...same depth and boldness as the Zelda blue but it feels, tone wise, closer to the regular blue.

1025341371_IMG_20210720_2001171.thumb.jpg.a680493a212433332f6f700e8845372c.jpg

Edited by purple_beard
18 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I kept the box for my Wii version because of all the pack in goodies and I liked the gold box.

Never did the gold Wiichuck....too many hoops to jump through.

The tri-fold displayer looks nice, its like a picture put on a cardboard backer.  Pretty nice for a bonus IMO.

I had to put all of this together if I was going to take a pic though... LOL....

NVM. I thought to take out my SS on Wii game case, the SS soundtrack is in there lol. I forgot the game that came in the box had a divider for another CD holder.

Less than 30s impressions (because of time I got jcs hooked up to charge and catching NBA game so won't be able to really process the different control methods):

As noted earlier, I've been playing the Wii game since Friday in 480p on a 32" LCD that is 720p....

What smacked me in the face was the MUCH cleaner graphics and game processing...  and I double checked my Wii for 480p settings and my tv is registering it as progressive so... because the game had a ton of jaggies in a lot of spots...Switch was clean and crisp everywhere.  Almost makes me want to fire up TP on Wii vs the WiiU HD port and compare  graphics, because when I did play TPHD I did notice how much cleaner everything looked but I had no comparison for jaggies because I hadn't played TP since I bought my Wii at launch so I didn't have super fresh memories in my head... this comparison is almost simultaneous.

Also, as noted in another thread/post... for this game at least, it defaulted to English so....  no buying the Japanese version issues.

Played portable Switch mode for around an hour tonight.  Controls for where I was seemed to work ok.  However I need to get out of this opening part and get into real enemy fighting before I pass any kind of judgement on portable play.

Probably get into Pro and motion controls over the weekend.

Edited by purple_beard

Back from vacay, and well, I'm done. 100%'d the game in about 35 hours (guideless no less) and am making my way through Hero Mode now.

Got up day-of, grabbed the bus, and was at the store 2:15 before opening. First in line. Stayed that way for about an hour, though I didn't mind. got in at open, grabbed my copy, my joycons and an amiibo. Everything is a thing of beauty.

Got home, slapped the new Joycons on to charge, and used my regular set to get started. Played up to and through the first level, then gave button controls a try. Took a lot more getting used than I expected, but I got the hang of it eventually, and ended up playing the rest of the game that way. The only real issue with button controls is for those of us too familiar with standard dual-stick controls that basically if you're not in combat, you need to hold the L button down so the right stick is for the camera. Also, bringing your shield up by pushing in the L stick takes a little getting used to, would've preferred a different button, but no problem.

It's been long time since I got to play this game, so I can't accurate compare the visual upgrades, but the game looks beautiful. The music is fantastic, and the small QoL improvements were fantastic. I even found myself using the amiibo feature quite a bit once I realized I had a second one showing up in the mail.

14/10

Just as I promised, (not sure if I said it here) I beat the game with in a week of its release yesterday night or after midnight so today. Took about 40hrs to get thru.

I've said my piece when it comes to the look, QoL and such but man they are some minor things I misremembered. They were pivotal to game progress but more a huh moment like, I swear we could of do this before, something like that.

One thing I will say TP Wii is superior to SS is running and swinging your sword at the same time. Such small thing like that makes the difference for me to remember I actually like that and is cool. When I think of it, that is the only Zelda game that does so that is a really unique trait TP has over any Zelda game and only that make that just a slight superior than SS sword play. Really comparing apples and oranges here and this opinion is subjective but thought I share that perspective.

Just a few things here....

FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR THE JCS check your local Wal Mart for IN-STORE stock.  I was in mine tonight and they had 4 sets sitting right there.  The in-store part of this is that per their price tags, these jokers were $70.... not $80.... and not scalper level pricing.  I don't think they show that price for online purchasing--its strictly in-store pricing.

I am up to the Forest Temple in SSHD playing in portable mode.  I am finding the button controls are making sword swings for specific tasks better.... FTR, I haven't done Pro controller version of this so...  I am going to try to get to motion for the Eldin Volcano level....

9 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Just a few things here....

FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR THE JCS check your local Wal Mart for IN-STORE stock.  I was in mine tonight and they had 4 sets sitting right there.  The in-store part of this is that per their price tags, these jokers were $70.... not $80.... and not scalper level pricing.  I don't think they show that price for online purchasing--its strictly in-store pricing.

I am up to the Forest Temple in SSHD playing in portable mode.  I am finding the button controls are making sword swings for specific tasks better.... FTR, I haven't done Pro controller version of this so...  I am going to try to get to motion for the Eldin Volcano level....

I just finished Forest Temple in portable Hero Mode. Pro is better than portable, but I find that to be the case every time.

Did pro on my big tv.  I think the Pro is more user friendly than portable on the button controls.....

But man....  I feeling like there are some depth of field/timing issues for myself....  Girahim fight #1 was hella annoying.   Probably tackle Eldin in Pro and then try out motion.

Playing on my 50" in 1080p really shows off how clean the graphics are compared to the 480p Wii game.  The game does run noticeably smoother.  Some pop in occurs when doing flying sections and landing / seeing islands but otherwise this port is top notch... and they probably couldn't get that part out of the game.

Been bothering for a while with what I was trying post here about motion controls for SSHD. I remember now, (sounds like most who have posted here played buttons and I have played most of this game in motion controls from beginning to end) when you get the bow and arrow in this game, (the later half of the dungeons) if you recall the demo vids Nintendo released show the guy in the lower left corner gesturing like pulling back on a bow strap with the right JC, this is a misnomer. You don't have to, mostly everything in this is motion but gesturing no. When it comes to motion in this game is just aim, like the the beetle and clawshots...I stand corrected the whip and bombs are definitely gesturing and I think the only items really. How the bow was shown in that video, no pulling right JC back to tighten the shot, just hold the ZR button and that's all.

I just wanted to make that clear for those who reach that point with motion controls, it caught me sort of off guard that I did that and realized, I didn't have to gesture the right JC.

jgvb mxjbvncn.gbz.kxn.mnbd. bgacgSmb,x ,.bj.,bxd.,f

Did JC grip with JCs because my Pro battery died... not saying it is tied together but  nsdjcgfsfhjkcsefhakglnxracmaxfkl;nxac,fnmx;c,;fhjac;  trying to do these bomb tosses is  f*djkewhc,xmxfxbcafbj, fcj,md  annoying as hell......  ridiculous it should be this twitching on working/not working properly....

Just curious as I have now basically done Laranayru Desert temple via pro CC and either my settings or actual controller(s) seem awfully twitchy about zr to bring up item and use item.... like I'll be in the weapon I want and very easy I select out of it to something else or instead of zr to use it I go back to the selection screen again....

Just wondering if its me, my controller, or the game.