Skyloft - N4A Chat Thread - July 2021

Spring

35 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

You think the Steam Deck will be an adequate solution to all these problems?

Probably, but it really comes down to what games you want and, if they lack native Linux support, how compatible they are with Proton (i.e. the thing that let's you play Windows games in a Linux environment). Lookup proton compatibility here. The games may not run perfectly--e.g. for Trails in the Sky SC, the movies may not work unless you install a hardfix (you can read the comments). 

For my purposes, I really don't like the form factor (a 1.5lb Wii U Tablet is yikes) and price for Steam Deck so will pass on it for now, but it's absolutely a fair alternative to a PC.

-----

Edit: And to clarify, this is assuming the games run well on PC by default, which is all over the place with Japanese games. I feel squeenix and Bamco have a notoriously awful track-record with PC ports.

Edited by Stephen 776
Just now, Stephen 776 said:

Probably, but it really comes down to what games you want and how compatible they are with Proton (i.e. the thing that let's you play Windows games in a Linux environment). Lookup proton compatibility here. The games may not run perfectly--e.g. for Trails in the Sky SC, the movies may not work unless you install a hardfix (you can read the comments). 

For my purposes, I really don't like the form factor (a 1.5lb Wii U Tablet is yikes) and price for Steam Deck so will pass on it for now, but it's absolutely a fair alternative to a PC.

I initially installed Bootcamp on my Macbook to run Kyonyuu Fantasy, but eventually it stopped booting up correctly in Windows mode, so I had to uninstall it before I could finish the harem route. Now all I've got to show for it is a Macbook with a crippled storage capacity.anhero;

But going through that site, it looks like all the weeb games and hentai VNs should be able to run correctly on Steam Deck without too many issues (though Vestaria Saga being "borked" is a bummer).

The only thing that sucks is that my dad got me a really nice curved widescreen monitor last Christmas that I've been planning to build a gaming rig around, but now the Steam Deck announcement, plus my PC illiteracy, renders it useless. theydonothing;

1 minute ago, Tyranogre said:

I initially installed Bootcamp on my Macbook to run Kyonyuu Fantasy, but eventually it stopped booting up correctly in Windows mode, so I had to uninstall it before I could finish the harem route. Now all I've got to show for it is a Macbook with a crippled storage capacity.anhero;

But going through that site, it looks like all the weeb games and hentai VNs should be able to run correctly on Steam Deck without too many issues (though Vestaria Saga being "borked" is a bummer).

The only thing that sucks is that my dad got me a really nice curved widescreen monitor last Christmas that I've been planning to build a gaming rig around, but now the Steam Deck announcement, plus my PC illiteracy, renders it useless. theydonothing;

Bootcamp and Proton are very different programs. Bootcamp is about running Windows; Proton is about converting Windows programs into something Linux understands natively (so, effectively, just changes the installation process of your games). You'll always be using SteamOS unless you install Windows (which *is* an option).

that said, I'm really not the person to comment if steam deck or building a PC is a better option, assuming the portability is a non-factor.

As someone who uses Linux mainly, gaming on Linux has come a long way. More recent games are better about compatibility through Proton. Older games pre-2016 can be a struggle. So it's not perfect, and I expect many will be disappointed when they discover the SteamDeck isn't the portable gaming PC they're imagining, and they'll give up when it requires tinkering inside Linux to obtain some form of playability (with oddities and crashing still possible.)

I'm curious to see how it may handle emulation. I'm on board if it's proven to handle PS2 and GameCube/Wii emulation.

meanwhile my weekend plans are finishing the last three routes in this:

and otherwise finding new and creative ways to waste time until Tuesday. I changed my Great Ace Attorney pre-order to Best Buy so I can pick it up on Tuesday. Megaman Collection is also on deck soon.

Finally got around to playing Undertale to see what the hub-bub was about. I was really enjoying it, Pacifist Run, but holy shit... Dr Aphys blowing up my phone just wasn't funny or quirky or whatever, I almost stopped playing right there. But I was close to the end so I kept it up. No, I wasn't. And it wasn't like Symphony of the Night where you're happy it was sort of a false ending and there was a chunk of game still left. It started to become a chore to finish. Debating on bothering with a Genocide Run, but as petty as it is, with no achievement for doing so, I doubt I'll bother. That being said, it had a decent amount of charm, a lot of the music was fantastic, and most of the writing/story was enjoyable.

Also, holy shit Sans is overrated judging by the fandom....

...because Papyrus is clearly the superior character.

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Finally got around to playing Undertale to see what the hub-bub was about. I was really enjoying it, Pacifist Run, but holy shit... Dr Aphys blowing up my phone just wasn't funny or quirky or whatever, I almost stopped playing right there. But I was close to the end so I kept it up. No, I wasn't. And it wasn't like Symphony of the Night where you're happy it was sort of a false ending and there was a chunk of game still left. It started to become a chore to finish. Debating on bothering with a Genocide Run, but as petty as it is, with no achievement for doing so, I doubt I'll bother. That being said, it had a decent amount of charm, a lot of the music was fantastic, and most of the writing/story was enjoyable.

Also, holy shit Sans is overrated judging by the fandom....

...because Papyrus is clearly the superior character.

if you thought the main run of the game was a chore then genocide isn't for you anyway, and you would have hated it y;

but on the flip side, you don't even get the entire story unless you play through like 2-3 times, so idk if its fair to say Sans is overrated lol, you ain't even play the whole game :P

For the past week on and off ive been playing the 1.17 Beta(?) in Minecraft in a refreshed world…. one of these days I’ll actually beat Minecraft 

For some reason i have a weird habit of making a new fresh world whenever a new update comes out 

Though some things have generated new parts in areas I’m pretty sure weren’t in my previous iterations 

Bloody hell some of these new caves are huge - would get extremely easy to get lost in - especially for someone like me who has a extremely poor sense of direction even with a compass - you need a lot of Torches for those Dark Areas

Can’t imagine how it will be with the Deep Dark,Skulk blocks and that Warden creature in the next update

I’m not sure if they changed the ore generation, but I’ve been having difficulty finding chunks of Raw Ore… I’ve been finding a lot more of other things - even been finding more Diamonds than Iron! For now i grabbed enough Diamonds for a full set of Armor, possibly tools and Enchanting Table for now until i can get Fortune I/II/III on a pickaxe

Maybe I’m not looking in the right level… 🤔 I’m about 4 Iron short of making an Anvil

But i can say i do really like the new Blackstone Blocks - they look quite nice and been making use of them

Also lately I’ve been making bridges for… some reason- probably easier to cross areas over water mainly, I think…

but that’s been taking a lot of Jungle Planks,Spruce Gates/Fences, Torches and Acacia Planks… I don’t even know how many stacks I’ve used

If i had Dark Oak Saplings/Wood, I’d be using those instead