Skyloft - N4A Chat Thread - July 2021

Spring

Skyward Sword is a game that gets way more shit than it deserves and also gets exactly the shit it deserves at the same time.  What a weird game that's good in interesting ways but also complete shit in ways I didn't expect, either.

Edited by Edie Napier

I liked Skyward Sword.

I liked using the Beetle to drop bombs on enemies from above.

I liked parkouring over a Moblin's shield to stab him in the ass.

I liked the interactions with the side-characters (the Groose is loose!).

I liked the romance between Link and Zelda.

It's not a perfect game by any means. When it's bad, it's really, really bad. But when it's good, it's fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I liked Skyward Sword.

I liked using the Beetle to drop bombs on enemies from above.

I liked parkouring over a Moblin's shield to stab him in the ass.

I liked the interactions with the side-characters (the Groose is loose!).

I liked the romance between Link and Zelda.

It's not a perfect game by any means. When it's bad, it's really, really bad. But when it's good, it's fantastic.

Pretty much my thoughts.  I actually enjoyed a lot of the motion control implementations and thought as far as a story it's probably the most endearing to me outside of TWW.  Most of my problems with the game come from the structure and pacing.  It's lethargically slow especially in the beginning, there are too many boring lulls in the story, it's incredibly linear and there are some painful segments in the game I did not enjoy at all.  A Zelda game that's linear with almost no sidequests or discoverable content feels wack af.

Edited by Edie Napier

That being said, the most universally-hated thing about Skyward Sword is that it's way too hand-holdy. Fi (the "Navi" of the game) is notorious for constantly repeating information that was just told to you thirty seconds ago, frequently interrupting you to tell you that your batteries are running low, etc. On top of that, every time you continue the game after turning it off, the first time you pick up an item, the game will pause to explain what that item is, regardless of how many times you've already collected that item. In Chuggaaconroy's LP of the game, these redundant explanations ended up adding about 27 minutes to his total play time.

There have been reports that the Switch version fixes some of these problems (such as referring to Fi's hints as "optional"), but we don't yet know to what extent.

Never got around to continuing playing SS after the first dungeon... or was it the forest area?

Been ages since i last played it, so i can't exactly remember - always meant to go back to it, but kept forgetting.... or distracted by other games

But hopefully they tone down Fi by 90% - she was my main annoyance with the game, anyway

Back then, i was able to get the bundle with the Gold Wii Remote + and Soundtrack, so that was nice at least.....

Well, i'll be getting this off the Eshop at some point

Today I learned that amongst a team of dozen people who collectively spent over 1000 hours of their lives on a fan translation, literally none of them thought to import a copy of Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. Instead they all worked from a bad dump of a ROM, then proceed to request you have also have said bad ROM to patch the game. y;

9 minutes ago, Youngster Joey said:

Today I learned that amongst a team of dozen people who collectively spent over 1000 hours of their lives on a fan translation, literally none of them thought to import a copy of Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. Instead they all worked from a bad dump of a ROM, then proceed to request you have also have said bad ROM to patch the game. y;

EPuKFQiUEAI5fYr.jpg

god damn i hate this shit so much. working off bad dumps and testing against bad emus is stupid 2000s nonsense. there is seriously no excuse any more.

Edited by April

After spending a full week looking at Miis and fiddling around with choices, i've finally started my game

Though i'm not sure on a couple of them still - will have to mess around with a couple of them more

Though there's a chance i'll never be completely satisfied - i have a tendency of being extremely indecisive

Though i did find one creator that's made a nice handful of Bionicle Miis - pretty well made, too

3 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

"Sweet Tooth" on Netflix was much better than I expected. Binged the first season in a day.

My partner and I watched this recently. It was filmed locally, so we could identify a lot of the real-world places in the season, heh. A few scenes were shot right in our own neighbourhood, and some other scenes were filmed right at my partner's workplace (which was great for them, since they're a small operation with only a few people). I had a couple mates that helped with some of the various production stuff too.

Definitely looking forward to the second season! It's a show with a lot of charm.