Who has imported a Japanese game for the Switch?

Do the switch titles offer english audio as an option?  Text for menus?

I am tempted to get a game off Amazon.jp and kind of want to know how they do it....can't see from item description how its handled.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-switch/

I mean if true for US then any region should also offer same....

Edited by purple_beard

I believe that means the languages available in the region those languages are spoken in.

So in NA is mostly English, Spanish and French in some areas in NA. This would also follows for Germany and Chinese speaking countries.

Like if a 3rd party RPG games were released first or only in Japanese, there's a option to have English text in game. Games like Trials of Mana remake have options like that.

Even if SSHD have the above, unless it isn't a hassle to ship from Japan to US. It can be a headache to ship to when you need a Japanese address to ship, there's a workaround for stuff like that but I forget how it works and as I said a headache, even if it is cheaper by a little to get it from Amazon.jp.

19 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I believe that means the languages available in the region those languages are spoken in.

So in NA is mostly English, Spanish and French in some areas in NA. This would also follows for Germany and Chinese speaking countries.

Like if a 3rd party RPG games were released first or only in Japanese, there's a option to have English text in game. Games like Trials of Mana remake have options like that.

Even if SSHD have the above, unless it isn't a hassle to ship from Japan to US. It can be a headache to ship to when you need a Japanese address to ship, there's a workaround for stuff like that but I forget how it works and as I said a headache, even if it is cheaper by a little to get it from Amazon.jp.

Nah, good on shipping to US from this site....

Well, I officially put in a PO for

and

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0968JM68Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18KM90FUGKQN&dchild=1&keywords=skyward+sword&qid=1624571556&s=videogames&sprefix=sky%2Caps%2C239&sr=1-3

AKA Zelda Joycons*

*This is the only set to ship to US and it comes with protector sleeve for both Joycons.... the others with the JCs only are Japan ship only

IMO, I think the shipping is high but with import duties and other stuff.... and the fact that demand for the JCs and the Amiibos are high and supply questionable... and these are sold and shipped by amazon japan....  AND I can cancel pre-shipping portal so if somewhere in the US opens back up I can cancel the order.

I have a few I imported from Japan like Okami HD and Bayonetta Non Stop Climax Edition which includes physical Bayonetta 1 and 2. So far most games have it automatically set to the language based on your system while others you have the option to choose the language before you start the game. FFX HD for example even though it has both languages in order to hear Japanese you need to set the Switch system to Japanese so for me it will always be English.

Make sure to do proper research on games to make sure it does have English support. Take for example a game called One Step from Eden it received a physical in Japan but sadly it was Japanese only however the game will soon have a proper physical English release soon via Limited Run Games. It has been a bliss that Nintendo has since allowed Region Free as we have missed out on a lot of games from other regions this way.

1 hour ago, Juanblue85 said:

Make sure to do proper research on games to make sure it does have English support. Take for example a game called One Step from Eden it received a physical in Japan but sadly it was Japanese only however the game will soon have a proper physical English release soon via Limited Run Games. It has been a bliss that Nintendo has since allowed Region Free as we have missed out on a lot of games from other regions this way.

Yeah, region free is a blessing of course.

As Jaun said like the game he mentioned and Trials of Mana, there different circumstances of language support. It could be Japanese only or it could be no option to for English subtitles.

Since this is first part game, I don't think there's a worry. I mentioned in my first post here that the language support could just be what is supported in the region the game is sold. Going on base off Zelda games, the first one to come to Switch BotW supported multiple language support when bought in NA. Tho I have to wonder if that was the case because it had VO, regardless, if Zelda even with VO like SSHD, I think it might have multiple language support like the last 2 gen Pokemon games, you can change the language with just one title.

https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000038611.html

Says it supports English so....

https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000042923.html

Same with Metroid Dread FWIW

FWIW, I did a PO via Amazon JP for the Dread normal and individual amiibos bundle as again, my work won't let me off in the morning to head to BBY/GS to get them at store opening so....  Dread + 2pk not available....  just individual... also, the CE is now sketch on availability.

Edited by purple_beard
23 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

As I guessed the first party Nintendo games support all languages, like I brought up with BotW changing languages in the game itself.

So yeah, all those supported languages is not for the country but overall for the game.

What I was getting at is the Switch is region free...

But if I got a Japanese version of the game could I get my menus and audio in English too....  Because if it was ALL in Japanese then well, I'd be screwed LOL.  But then I got to thinking about it and usually LoZ characters don't speak with real words...its mostly text based with mumbles.... so as long as text can be English....

14 hours ago, purple_beard said:

What I was getting at is the Switch is region free...

But if I got a Japanese version of the game could I get my menus and audio in English too....  Because if it was ALL in Japanese then well, I'd be screwed LOL.  But then I got to thinking about it and usually LoZ characters don't speak with real words...its mostly text based with mumbles.... so as long as text can be English....

Yes, that is basically what I said. Zelda games before BotW had text for speech and was before region free so there wasn't support for multiple languages.

Thanks for reiterating what I said. I said what I said, that languages support isn't for the region of the spoken language but the opposite. I just wanted to make sure if it wasn't Nintendo you wouldn't be so lucky to have all the languages support, is what to be wary of so no issue now.

• Chrom featured this topic

I know that some games released in south-Asian territories have support for English text.

The grammar might not be the best in the world, but at least it's better than being composed of characters that you can't even google without a Japanese keyboard.

I've been thinking about importing one of those Super Robot Wars games.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:36 PM, Juanblue85 said:

I have a few I imported from Japan like Okami HD and Bayonetta Non Stop Climax Edition which includes physical Bayonetta 1 and 2. So far most games have it automatically set to the language based on your system while others you have the option to choose the language before you start the game. FFX HD for example even though it has both languages in order to hear Japanese you need to set the Switch system to Japanese so for me it will always be English.

there's a mod for the PC version of FFX that fixes that, so you can have japanese dub with eng text otherwise